Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2020, 07:31 AM
Oriental Park

Default Handicapping Year in Review, Awards and Other notes

First off CONGRATS to JolyB for the win in The Breeders Cup Points Contest and grabbing the 2020 Gallivan Cup.

Congrats to Cal828 also for top honors in the Points contest. He smoked all of us for the entire year and although DG put in a good effort towards the end, there was no catching our Points Leader/Winner!

Real Quiet will put his year end review of the ROI contest in eloquent fashion either here our in a new thread. Thanks to RQ and Plenilune for all of their effort in giving up their time to show us each how well or poorly we all did in each contest. And thanks to JB for stepping in during my occasional absents to keep the machine well oiled.

Thanks so much to everyone for playing this year with it's many real life challenges. It has been a year to remember and forget, if we can, in many ways. It should allow us to appreciate "normality" more when it ever comes back. This is a great place and a nice escape for many. It kinda cleanses our minds, frustrates them at times and recharges them as we go through the contest cards most every week.

As customary, after the BC Contest, there will be no contest next Saturday so we can all get ready for the 2020-2021 handicapping year to start on November 21.

Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions for next year, please post below the line with the thought in mind that any "changes" will be considered but that said, "if it ain't broke don't fix".

Last edited by DonGuido : 11-10-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:20 AM
The Curragh

CAL

CAT PAWS NO MATCH FOR YOU!

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 11-11-2020, 12:44 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFIAN-333 View Post
CAL

CAT PAWS NO MATCH FOR YOU!
Thanks. Did well in the points, but not so much in the ROI. Hope to change that. I'm sure I'll come up with a new scheme for the coming year and I'm always hopeful, but success in this game is ever elusive.

I think something JolyB said about money management being as important as handicapping is right, but so hard to put into practice, but I will try in the coming year and hopefully avoid some of the mistakes that I am prone to make.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:52 PM
The Curragh

First of all, congrats to Cal for collecting the most points in our combined Points and ROI contests. It shows consistency in both area's of our contests and Cal really put together a great string of picks over the course of the season. Nicely played Cal. But in the ROI 2020 was a year that most of us would like to forget. For the first time ever since I've tracked the ROI starting with 2009 no player
showed a profit. Cruzan came close falling $60 short. Two other players had pretty good years. Plenilune was as consistent as they come hitting the board close to 30% of the weeks she played, our top figure. She missed profitability by only $276. NJ Stinks also had a decent year missing out by $368. Ruffian was the only other player to lose less than $1000 (-$938). On the year 3 players nailed 6 ROI wins, Plenilune, Ruffian and Real Quiet with Cal contributing 5. And for a change Cal out placed Joly B and Plenilune with 7 place finishes to 5. Plenilune had the best week on October 3rd with a profit of $1020. It was the only week a player made over $1000. Top 5 weekly finishes were recorded by Cruzan ($860), Roamin ($720) and NJ Stinks ($652 and $644.80). The best win percentage over the season belonged to Cruzan who won 18% of the weeks he played. And thanks to the 9 players who showed up at least 35 weeks. As Don says, "we couldn't do it without you". See you soon.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:30 PM
Oriental Park

Great recap RQ and y ou forgot to give me the BOOBY PRIZE again but I actually surprised myself a few times this past year and hit the ROI. Never mind such inconsequential stuff. You're the best right along with JB, Plen and everybody else. Did I miss anyone???

See y'all soon and JolyB picks the track to start the year off!!! And lets hope we all do better as we move out of 2020 and into 2021 here if we can but mostly in real life. Be safe all of you and WEAR A MASK!!! Peace and love to all!!!
Old 11-12-2020, 11:17 PM
Havre de Grace

Good advice on the mask thing. Problem is I have trouble remembering to put it on and have found myself in a store or somewhere before I realize, I don't have one on and have to go back to my car and get it. Did that today when I was having my car serviced, but luckily they had some disposables and they gave me one. Also, if you wear one, do it right covering you mouth and nose.
I see so many people wearing them wrong which defeats the whole purpose.

Our soon to be new Prez is right. Nothing political about it. Do it to protect yourself and others. I am encouraged by the news from Pfizer, but we are still a long way from this thing being over.