Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2007, 06:50 AM
Woodbine

Default The worst pedigree wins the Derby

So much for that angle, LOL. Another horse who could care less where he came from.

Just wisper in his ear,

See that finish line kid, run your azz off until you cross the line OK

Yes sir

EOM
Old 05-06-2007, 06:55 AM
Keeneland

Says who? I thought he had a great pedigree for the Derby... not sure what you're talking about?

8-1-12-0-1 (22) DI = 2.14 CD = 0.68
Old 05-06-2007, 07:08 AM
Oaklawn

Young Street Cry appears to be a solid source of stamina on dirt. Many have rated SS as lacking because his sire is yet untested. Remember who Street Cry is: He was considered "the" colt at two, most likley to succeed etc until he was sent to Dubai to prep for the Derby. He missed most of his 3yo season and returned to beat Sahkee in the DWC at 4, at 10f on dirt. His sire Machiavellian sired Almutawakel who also won the DWC.

SS may get more speed from his female family but like Unbridled, Quiet American and others, Street Cry is a stamina influence from a speedy sireline.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Yearling

Street Sense: From the first crop of Street Cry, who won the Dubai World Cup and Stephen Foster, Street Sense has everything it takes to win the Kentucky Derby. Like his sire, Street Sense should get only better with maturity and distance. His pedigree is strengthened by his first two damsires (Dixieland Band and His Majesty), who add more stamina. His second dam is a half-sister to Mr. Greeley, and he is also inbred 5x4 to Natalma. Three great stallions descend from Natalma - Northern Dancer, Danehill and Machiavellian - as well as hundreds of stakes winners. Getting a double dose of Natalma has proven to be a very good thing, and Street Sense is a prime example.

this is from lauren stich drf's breeding expert
Old 05-06-2007, 08:43 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Says who? I thought he had a great pedigree for the Derby... not sure what you're talking about?

8-1-12-0-1 (22) DI = 2.14 CD = 0.68
They can't argue your point. SS was a duel quailifier and had the style to coop with the large field. The breeding is there.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

this is the first time I heard that Street Sense had a bad, sorry "The worst pedigree" Those *s they put next to the numbers means something like... unproven. I don't know. But one look at his profile tells you he is one of the best. Hard Spun was the best bred in the race IMO. That was quite an effort on his part but Street Sense was the only one that was moving.

I wonder how he and Hard Spun came out of the race
Old 05-06-2007, 09:18 AM
maxwell737

What are you taking about Street Cry was a Dubai World Cup winner!! Anyone out there know the Beyer figure he earned yesterday. I was thinking like 104-106?? On to the preaknes against a fresh Chelokee.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Says who?
Michael Veitch Turf Writer for The Saratogian had him 20th in the listing
Old 05-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Golden Gate

From a software POV, HTR had SS on top in Pedigree.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:33 AM
pgardn

oh man I could say so much.

I think I have already expressed how difficult it is to determine the capability of a horse using very suspect genetic analysis. Find me, some genes that are directly related to some sort of physiological process involving running, or some muscular configuration, etc... and then Im closer to getting on board. And the day will come. But not in my lifetime imo.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Dee Tee Stables

no way he had the worst pedigree. i thought cowtown showed limitations--apparently he felt the same way!
street cry is a young sire, and relatively unproven, but newer sires have lit up the derby tote board recently, and street cry does have plenty of pedigree to make up for the lack of numbers regarding runners/winners. machiavelli was a top sire, his dams family proven as well.
it's much like elusive quality, and distorted humor. not around long, but good support, top mares, bingo. tiznow is another one.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB
Michael Veitch Turf Writer for The Saratogian had him 20th in the listing
Never heard of him and I should have if he is in the pedigree business.

Street Sense is from the first crop of a World Cup winner Street Cry, a G1 winner at 10f and a son of Machiavellian, the only stallion to sire two World Cup winners. Street Cry's dam won the Irish Oaks (G1) at 12f, and was by REAL Derby winner Troy.

The dam Bedazzle won 4 races and nearly $200,000, meaning she was running in good allowance company at major tracks, since she earned no black type. Her sire Dixieland Band has sired winners at all sorts of distances, from 5f maiden races to the Ascot Gold Cup at over 2 miles (Drum Taps). But in the main, his better ones could run well at a mile or more.

The second dam was a SW at beyond 8f on turf by His Majesty, who is a major stamina source (sire of Pleasant Colony, et. al., damsire of Dynaformer).

His fourth dam Lianga is a sprinting legend in Europe, where she won all four of the major sprint stakes in France and England, beating the guys with elan; she was the best runner sired by Kentucky Derby winner (in actual running) Dancer's Image and her prowess prompted his exportation to stand in France.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB
So much for that angle, LOL. Another horse who could care less where he came from.

Just wisper in his ear,

See that finish line kid, run your azz off until you cross the line OK

Yes sir

EOM

Absolutely indefensible statement! Others have detailed SS's pedigree, before posting something you might research instead of taking the word of some guy I never heard of! By any measure, SS has the pedigree of a Ky Derby winner. Regarding angles...the only one's I look at (zeros in DP and at least 16 pts), he has 22 pts in DP centered in the "C" (Classic) catagory and only one zero. Plenty of stamina...absolutely ridiculous statement!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:57 AM

Hey, pedigree experts, has any other stallion sired a Derby winner from his very first crop?
Old 05-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Dee Tee Stables

wasn't funny cide from distorted humors first crop? and smary was either first, or maybe second crop....i'd have to go back and look at all of them.

not something i feel like doing right now.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
Hey, pedigree experts, has any other stallion sired a Derby winner from his very first crop?
Try Gallant Fox, Derby and Triple Crown winner in 1930, sired Omaha, Derby and Triple Crown winner in 1935.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
Try Gallant Fox, Derby and Triple Crown winner in 1930, sired Omaha, Derby and Triple Crown winner in 1935.
So Omaha was from Gallant Fox's first crop?

I'll look up Distorted Humor/Funny Cide, Danzig. I'm on break at work right now and if I let myself nap I won't wake up until Tuesday. This'll keep me alert.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:20 PM

Yes and no for DH- Funny Cide was from his first American crop- he stood first in Australia. From Wikipedia:

<<Beginning in 1999, Distorted Humor stood twice in Victoria, Australia (at Grand Lodge Stud in Avenel) for $12,000. He sired two Australian crops. In only these two crops, 93 were runners, 74 winners, 12 placed, and two others have come in the money. His get include Rinky Dink: winner of the South Australian Oaks and the Tasmanian Oaks, Distorted Halo: winner of the Moonee Valley and Mercedes-Benz Hong Kong Derby Trial, and Tirade: winner of the Caulfield Guineas Prelude and third in VRC Ascot Vale Stakes. Among his Australian winners are not only flat runners, but jumpers. The jumper, four-year-old, Some Are Bent, took the Moonee Valley Hurdle in July of 2006, his third jumps win in his past four outings.

Back in the States without fanfare, Distorted Humor's 2000 fee remained low and his mares average, yet he also quickly made his mark, unexpectedly becoming America's leading freshman sire of 2002. And then in 2003, his stud career expanded a hundredfold with the arrival of his most famous son, the dual classic winner Funny Cide, as well as the Grade I runner, Awesome Humor.

For three years now his mares have become classier and classier (for instance, in 2007 he is expected to service the mare Quendom (ARG), the dam of Invasor); his American off-spring have earned over five million dollars a year. In 2005, when his oldest were five-year-olds, and over the course of 140 races, 88 of his get (13 of which were two-year-olds) earned 8 million six hundred thousand dollars. He finished the year as the second top sire in America, beaten only by the now deceased Saint Ballado. By late 2006 he had 255 winners, including 18 graded stakes winners, from 340 starters, siring 46 stakes winners. From five crops, his progeny have earned $30,265,433. In 2006, as a 14-year-old sire, he had 20 different horses win a combined 31 stakes races, 10 of which were graded.>>
Old 05-06-2007, 12:24 PM

And Smarty was from EQ's second crop. So, is that it? Omaha and Street Sense, only first crop Derby winners?

No, I am not seeing a new handicapping angle. I just like trivia.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
Absolutely indefensible statement! Others have detailed SS's pedigree, before posting something you might research instead of taking the word of some guy I never heard of! By any measure, SS has the pedigree of a Ky Derby winner. Regarding angles...the only one's I look at (zeros in DP and at least 16 pts), he has 22 pts in DP centered in the "C" (Classic) catagory and only one zero. Plenty of stamina...absolutely ridiculous statement!
Some guy you never heard of. LOL, he has more knowledge in his left baby finger than you'll ever know. Look up His family tree. His family was winning races before you where even thought of, unbelievable. LOL