Old 09-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Because Uno Mas is overdue.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Why?
LOL.... I think it would be great if RM wins this. He is a very nice, very good person. He is on the most likely winner IMO.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Coach Pants

It would be great if they'd just cancel the race this year. I mean ffs, if they can only get 7 entries for a god damn grade 2 with a $750,000 purse...

It's just absolutely ridiculous how this game has turned into a welfare state for the select few who have the balls to run their horses.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Gulfstream Park

Geaux, Geaux Theriot!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
It would be great if they'd just cancel the race this year. I mean ffs, if they can only get 7 entries for a god damn grade 2 with a $750,000 purse...

It's just absolutely ridiculous how this game has turned into a welfare state for the select few who have the balls to run their horses.
very much agree. Pathetic
Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:

Don't be hatin' on Super Derby!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Flemington

Quote:

Agree, I told someone earlier the entire CARD SUCKS. I was excited about the pick 4 contest, and now not so much. I still plan on winning though.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
Agree, I told someone earlier the entire CARD SUCKS. I was excited about the pick 4 contest, and now not so much. I still plan on winning though.
Slashing some of the stakes purses doesn't help matters. Last year the Unbridled was worth $200k, and the $150k Tiznow Hcp was also on the Super Derby undercard.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:

Well, the timing isn't so great nowadays, is it?

With the race sandwiched between last weekend's Pennsylvania Derby and next weekend's Pomona Derby, you're gonna be hurtin' for runners.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Maybe someone can help me to understand how there could have been a more perfect spot for Mine that Bird.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Maybe someone can help me to understand how there could have been a more perfect spot for Mine that Bird.
There is no explanation. This really would have made sense.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
I agree but they opted to run in the goodwood at oak tree before the classic.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Oaklawn

We felt the pinch of the economy just like everyone else. Rather than leave the Super Derby at $500k, we decided to put more eggs in its basket than the other races to help get it going again.

That said, aside from Mine That Bird (whom I campagined to the trainer/owners myself, and thought they would come here once they opted out of the Travers but they wanted more time), Summer Bird or Rachel, what other 3-year-olds are out there? Unfortunately, the division is slim at this point in the year.

The Super Derby really prospered when there was not nearly as much competition for horses as there is today. Plus, spacing/timing to the Breeders' Cup was more manageable. We're aware of all these factors, unfortunately making radical changes to your biggest race which draws a massive crowd on track, generates our biggest handle of the year and is a part of the community is not an easy task. Cancel it? Forget about it. Suicide.

We could move to October, but then LAD is fighting BEL, SA and KEE on the big Saturday weekends. A big day for us is a non-starter. How can we expect to do good business? Sunday is the NFL, so that's out.

It's a tough spot and considering all the variables and factors at play - including have to make purse adjustments for the economic environment and to protect our day-to-day business - I think we did okay.

I hope everyone enjoys our races on Saturday. We had more than 175 people show-up for our post draw luncheon today and the response to our community events has been wonderful. We're excited!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
We felt the pinch of the economy just like everyone else. Rather than leave the Super Derby at $500k, we decided to put more eggs in its basket than the other races to help get it going again.

That said, aside from Mine That Bird (whom I campagined to the trainer/owners myself, and thought they would come here once they opted out of the Travers but they wanted more time), Summer Bird or Rachel, what other 3-year-olds are out there? Unfortunately, the division is slim at this point in the year.

The Super Derby really prospered when there was not nearly as much competition for horses as there is today. Plus, spacing/timing to the Breeders' Cup was more manageable. We're aware of all these factors, unfortunately making radical changes to your biggest race which draws a massive crowd on track, generates our biggest handle of the year and is a part of the community is not an easy task. Cancel it? Forget about it. Suicide.
1983 brought you Sunny's Halo.
1984 Gate Dancer and Precisionist
1985 Creme Fraiche
1986 Wise Times (Haskell and Travers winner)
1987 Alysheba
1988 Seeking the Gold
1989 Sunday Silence
1990 Unbridled

There were other good ones that came there. In my opinion, the race went downhill once it was reduced from 10f to 9f. At 10f, it was one of the best preps for the Classic that we had. The distance was fine and it offered plenty of time to recover and get ready for the Classic.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
1983 brought you Sunny's Halo.
1984 Gate Dancer and Precisionist
1985 Creme Fraiche
1986 Wise Times (Haskell and Travers winner)
1987 Alysheba
1988 Seeking the Gold
1989 Sunday Silence
1990 Unbridled

There were other good ones that came there. In my opinion, the race went downhill once it was reduced from 10f to 9f. At 10f, it was one of the best preps for the Classic that we had. The distance was fine and it offered plenty of time to recover and get ready for the Classic.
Didnt Tiznow run in the super derby AND the goodwood prior to the BC?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:02 PM
Randwyck

The Super Derby was also a G1 during many of those years, connections were willing to run longer distances, and the overall racing picture was significantly different. That being said, the Super Derby, like the current PA Derby, seems to have had trouble getting marquee horses in recent years, and now they as proving grounds for late developing 3YO, or those attempting to rekindle form from earlier in the season. That's the way it is.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Didnt Tiznow run in the super derby AND the goodwood prior to the BC?
just the super derby