Originally Posted by GPK
*pushed, in the leftys case...not pulled*
Tread lightly...I'm a lefty....
Old 06-21-2006, 03:19 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.***er
Tread lightly...I'm a lefty....
Bill, you have more class in your pinky than Mickelson ever dreamed of having.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Hollywood Park

I was just joking around...in all seriousness I had a golf pro tell me I needed to learn to golf right handed, otherwise I'd always suck...

he's been right so far.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Flemington

Gander,if Phil had been hitting fairways all day,then I would agree that he choked.To me,the tee shot on 18 was not that different than many of the ****ty drives he had on Sunday.I really felt like the rest of them were choking by not taking advantage of the fact he was struggling off the tee.He failed to win something that I really don't think he was playing well enough to expect to win.Driving the ball that way on a U.S. Open Course shoulding result in winning it,and I think it is good for the game that he didn't win it while hitting it sideways the whole last round.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Del Mar

I dont agree. That tee shot on 18 missed by 60-70 yards, maybe more. It was a complete yank. Check out his face when he hit it. I have played enough golf to know what a pull looks like and feels like, that was a huge "push".

He missed a lot of other fairways, true, but some of his tee shots didnt miss the fairways by all that much. Some got unlucky bounces and landed in the first cut of rough. That shot on 18 was not the same, that was a complete "push" in every sense of the word.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:03 PM
Del Mar

Sorry, to Kevin's point "pushed" is the correct term. Phil is a lefty.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Flemington

The drive on 18 may have been worse than the others,but a severe choke would be if he had been hitting it straight off the tee,and then came to 18,and hit it awful off the tee.I guess what I am telling you is that( to me)you have to be doing something well(to begin with)in order to choke.A real choke is like what the Mavs did.They won three straight series with great shooting ,and good defense.They won the 1st 2 games of the Championship by doing the same.Then they have a nice lead in the 2nd half of game three,and find a way to blow it.They choked all the way from there on in.They had a good lead last nite in the 1st half,but they did what(may I ask?)...shoot bricks long enough to get caught.That is a choke(going from very good shooting ,to bad shooting.)
Old 06-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
The drive on 18 may have been worse than the others,but a severe choke would be if he had been hitting it straight off the tee,and then came to 18,and hit it awful off the tee.I guess what I am telling you is that( to me)you have to be doing something well(to begin with)in order to choke.A real choke is like what the Mavs did.They won three straight series with great shooting ,and good defense.They won the 1st 2 games of the Championship by doing the same.Then they have a nice lead in the 2nd half of game three,and find a way to blow it.They choked all the way from there on in.They had a good lead last nite in the 1st half,but they did what(may I ask?)...shoot bricks long enough to get caught.That is a choke(going from very good shooting ,to bad shooting.)

Ego and Stupidity is what it was, he's too seasoned under pressure to choke.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorstman
Ego and Stupidity is what it was, he's too seasoned under pressure to choke.
Yes,I think it was more ego and stupidity than a choke.See,he is use to getting out of trouble with his 2nd shots.So,he wasn't worried as much about a bad tee shot as a normal golfer would be(he usually gets away with it.)As you can see by his manbreasts,this guy has self-discipline issues,and instead of pitching out onto the fairway,I think he let his gambling side of his personality take him in the wrong direction.This is why this guy is so popular(he is mad talented with a gamblin' jonz to go with it.)
Old 06-21-2006, 05:00 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Yes,I think it was more ego and stupidity than a choke.See,he is use to getting out of trouble with his 2nd shots.So,he wasn't worried as much about a bad tee shot as a normal golfer would be(he usually gets away with it.)As you can see by his manbreasts,this guy has self-discipline issues,and instead of pitching out onto the fairway,I think he let his gambling side of his personality take him in the wrong direction.This is why this guy is so popular(he is mad talented with a gamblin' jonz to go with it.)

Any golfer with half a brain in that situation hits a fairway wood or long iron off the tee. No ifs, ands or buts.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Any golfer with half a brain in that situation hits a fairway wood or long iron off the tee. No ifs, ands or buts.
I forget which thread I posted it on, but I said the same thing.

2 iron + 6 iron + putt + putt = Trophy

Driver + tent + tree + beach = Big fat Phil's Tincup finish.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Del Mar

I agree about choking and being talented. Greg Norman choked away the Masters back in 97 and at the time was one of the best 3 players in the world. He was expected to win not only because he had like a 4-5 shot lead going into the final round, but because he was talented as hell.

I dont care what club Phil uses, he is suppose to be able to hit a driver straight. Take something off of it, aim extra right to compensate for the right to left ball flight, but damn dont push it 60 yards to the left.

I know he stupidly selected the wrong club, but that aside, hit the darn ball straight! He could probably hit that shot straight 90 of 100 times on the range.

Phil flat out choked and hit one of the worst tee shots of his life in a moment he needed to nothing but hit any iron or wood 230 yards straight.

Last edited by Gander : 06-21-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:01 AM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
*pushed, in the leftys case...not pulled*
Push is being nice. He shoved it into the tent. When a player hits a drive like that on the last hole... I cant even call that a drive. He had hit bad drives, but that was an out and out crater shot. He lost it. It was almost like he hit it off the end of his club.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:06 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Push is being nice. He shoved it into the tent. When a player hits a drive like that on the last hole... I cant even call that a drive. He had hit bad drives, but that was an out and out crater shot. He lost it. It was almost like he hit it off the end of his club.

What are the chances that Tiger would have hit driver on the 18 tee with that lead. He would have hit that low stinging 2 iron down the middle of the fairway, hit a short iron to the middle of the green, 2 putts later..no sweat. Another reason Phil will never be in Tiger's league. The mental discipline simply isn't there for him.