Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Arlington Park

Default Angels In Memorium, 2012

CARDMANIA-26

Sprint Champion Cardmania Dies

Cardmania, the 1993 champion sprinter and Breeders’ Cup Sprint (gr. I) winner, was euthanized Jan. 2 because of an internal tumor that was inoperable. The 26-year-old gelded son of Cox’s Ridge resided at the non-profit horse rescue United Pegasus Foundation.

“He was a local fan favorite and was even ridden in the Rose Parade, many, many years ago,” said Helen Meredith, whose husband, Derek Meredith, trained Cardmania. “He was a ranch favorite and will be missed by all our staff and volunteers.”

Racing for Jean Couvercelle, Cardmania got up to win the Sprint by neck from Meafara, with Gilded Time finishing third. In his only other triumph that year, Cardmania captured the Ancient Title Breeders’ Cup Handicap (gr. III) a month before the Classic.

In 1992, Cardmania ran third in the Breeders’ Cup Sprint.

During his career Cardmania won or placed in 24 stakes. His seven stakes wins also included a triumph in a group III stakes in Italy.

Bred in Kentucky by Delta Thoroughbreds, Cardmania was the first foal and one of two stakes winners out of French stakes winner L’Orangerie (by J. O. Tobin).

Copyright © 2012 Blood-Horse Publications. All rights reserved internationally.

Read more: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz1iLqj8WHZ
Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Arlington Park

ECHO OF LIGHT

Darley Stallion Echo of Light Dies
By Blood-Horse Staff
Echo of Light, a member of the sole crop by Sheikh Mohammed’s champion Dubai Millennium, was euthanized after breaking a leg in his paddock at Kildangan Stud in Ireland.

Echo of Light was bought by Sheikh Mohammed for 1.2 million euros at Goffs as a yearling. Trained throughout his career by Saeed bin Suroor for Godolphin, Echo of Light won three English group III events including the Ladbrokes Summer Mile Stakes. He was a group II winner in France and was group I-placed in Italy.

Echo of Light ran in the 2006 NetJets Breeders’ Cup Mile (gr. IT), finishing sixth.

Echo of Light, who was one of two stakes winners from the group II stakes-placed Sadler’s Wells mare Spirit of Tara, was retired with seven wins from 16 starts and earnings of $459,479. He stood at Dalham Hall Stud in 2008 and was moved to Kildangan Stud for his third season. He has sired stakes-placed Sound Advice.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Saratoga

Oh wow someone just sent me this and i was posting on intl at the same time.

I was a huge fan.

Sad day. This sucks.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Santa Anita

Ella Fleetzgerald, a 4YO chestnut filly by Northern Afleet, starting at Parx in just her fifth career race, broke down in the stretch and was euthanized.

Rest easy, girl.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Santa Anita

Buck Jakes, son of Turkoman

http://www.st-publishing.com/cms2/in...kes-dies-at-24
Old 01-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Arlington Park

HEART OF JOY-25

Golden Eagle Farm announced Jan. 7 that multiple graded stakes winner Heart of Joy was recently euthanized due to old age.

Heart of Joy, a foal of 1987, is a daughter of Lypheor out of the Secretariat mare Mythographer. Heart of Joy won the Nell Gwyn Stakes (Eng-III) and ran second in both the classic 1000 Guineas Stakes (Eng-I) and Irish 1000 Guineas (Ire-I).
Trained by Gary Jones in the United States, she won the Palomar Handicap (gr. IIT), San Simeon Handicap (gr. IIIT), and Las Cienegas Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT). She also ran second in the Ramona Handicap (gr. IT).
Lifetime, Heart of Joy earned $733,755 racing in for Mr. and Mrs. John C. Mabee's Golden Eagle Farm. She was bred in Florida by Tartan Farms.
As a broodmare, her first foal, Meiner Love, was her best runner on the track, a multiple stakes winner in Japan and earner of more than $2.6 million.