Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Oriental Park

I don't think SD is that good a job. The owner has been notoriously cheap and they have lost a ton of good players the last few years. Mathews is always hurt, Gates is old and while Rivers is good, he has taken a lot of hits and his best days could be behind him.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Belmont Park

Andy Reid to the Chiefs:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...hiefs/1809131/

I think this is an outstanding move by both sides. Will be interesting to see if they try to make a play for an experienced QB like Alex Smith, or draft one.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Andy Reid to the Chiefs:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...hiefs/1809131/

I think this is an outstanding move by both sides. Will be interesting to see if they try to make a play for an experienced QB like Alex Smith, or draft one.
I hear the Bills are making a run at Smith and as a Bills fan I am not happy with it. They were about to jettision him prior to Harbaugh taking over. He had some success under Harbaugh but not enough success that he lost his job to a rookie. Harbaugh obviously making a statement with that move and it would be foolish to waste another 3 years trying to prove him wrong.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
I hear the Bills are making a run at Smith and as a Bills fan I am not happy with it. They were about to jettision him prior to Harbaugh taking over. He had some success under Harbaugh but not enough success that he lost his job to a rookie. Harbaugh obviously making a statement with that move and it would be foolish to waste another 3 years trying to prove him wrong.
I agree. If I were a Bill fan I would not want Smith. He is average and a game manager and that only works with a team that has a good running game and great defense.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
I agree. If I were a Bill fan I would not want Smith. He is average and a game manager and that only works with a team that has a good running game and great defense.
Not comparing the Bills to the 85 Bears, but isn't this what they are/trying to be?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Not comparing the Bills to the 85 Bears, but isn't this what they are/trying to be?
I don't know. They were almost last against the run this year and they gave up a lot of points in a division where 2 of 3 teams were offensively challanged. They need a QB who is a diference maker not a marginal player. They aren't close enough.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I don't think SD is that good a job. The owner has been notoriously cheap and they have lost a ton of good players the last few years. Mathews is always hurt, Gates is old and while Rivers is good, he has taken a lot of hits and his best days could be behind him.
rivers isn't that good-if not for sanchez, he'd be the worst qb interception-wise. he's thrown the most over the last two seasons in the league, except for mark s.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
rivers isn't that good-if not for sanchez, he'd be the worst qb interception-wise. he's thrown the most over the last two seasons in the league, except for mark s.
rivers is playing behind jerome clary at one tackle and michael harris at the other. you could put aaron rodgers behind those two and he'd probably look an awful lot like phillip rivers did this season.

i'd change your phrasing a little and say that if not for arizona, san diego would have the worst offensive line in pro football.

rivers might still be a stiff. he's probably not ever going to be a top 3 nfl qb. but put him behind a decent line and he's not going to embarrass himself.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god View Post
rivers is playing behind jerome clary at one tackle and michael harris at the other. you could put aaron rodgers behind those two and he'd probably look an awful lot like phillip rivers did this season.

i'd change your phrasing a little and say that if not for arizona, san diego would have the worst offensive line in pro football.

rivers might still be a stiff. he's probably not ever going to be a top 3 nfl qb. but put him behind a decent line and he's not going to embarrass himself.
I'm not a huge Rivers guy, but I'm thinking the porus line has something to do with some of the poor decisions/passes that he's made. But I have tremendous respect for the guy after he gutted it out that year and played against the Pats in the AFC title game with a sprained knee. Bottom line is that I think he's a lot better than he's shown in the past few seasons.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Agreed - He isn't a fit there - they already have Fitzpatrick who is virtually the same guy with more int's. They need a play maker.

Quote:
He sounds like a nice fit in Philly. But seriously, where do these QB-desperate teams go? This draft is not full of legit first rounders like Luck, Griffin or Wilson.
And historically, this season has been an aberration with regard to rookie success.

I believe we're definitely going to see Smith dealt, and a lot of Carson Palmer-type deals cut with teams paying way too much in picks to solidify the position.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i'm figuring someone will make a run at flynn, and there may be calls to the skins for cousins, who did a good job for them when griffin was out. not sure who else may be able to move up tho...
barkley didn't do himself any favors staying another year at usc, speaking of qb's and the draft.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Agreed - He isn't a fit there - they already have Fitzpatrick who is virtually the same guy with more int's. They need a play maker.

He sounds like a nice fit in Philly. But seriously, where do these QB-desperate teams go? This draft is not full of legit first rounders like Luck, Griffin or Wilson.
And historically, this season has been an aberration with regard to rookie success.

I believe we're definitely going to see Smith dealt, and a lot of Carson Palmer-type deals cut with teams paying way too much in picks to solidify the position.
I don't see any existing QB that will be available having the goods to get a team to the Super Bowl. After experiencing Rob Johnson and Ryan Fitzpatrick I no longer get excited by a backup who fills in and has a great game. Cousins may be the exception since he did it as a Rookie and he had no chance to compete for the role so I view him differently. Having said that I highly doubt he will be available. Reason I say this is I view RGIII as a very risky option at QB long term. While a great player the fact that he runs quite a bit exposes him to hits and he will get hurt and will miss time. It is a game of Russian roulette every time he runs. There are not many teams that can make a run for the playoffs with their backups playing a significant amount of time. Cousins has shown he may be a bit more than that and I think the Skins would be foolish to deal him if they want to compete for the Super Bowl for the next few years. They certainly are a team on the upswing and dealing him would add a bit of risk to the equation.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I don't see any existing QB that will be available having the goods to get a team to the Super Bowl. After experiencing Rob Johnson and Ryan Fitzpatrick I no longer get excited by a backup who fills in and has a great game. Cousins may be the exception since he did it as a Rookie and he had no chance to compete for the role so I view him differently. Having said that I highly doubt he will be available. Reason I say this is I view RGIII as a very risky option at QB long term. While a great player the fact that he runs quite a bit exposes him to hits and he will get hurt and will miss time. It is a game of Russian roulette every time he runs. There are not many teams that can make a run for the playoffs with their backups playing a significant amount of time. Cousins has shown he may be a bit more than that and I think the Skins would be foolish to deal him if they want to compete for the Super Bowl for the next few years. They certainly are a team on the upswing and dealing him would add a bit of risk to the equation.
i'm not saying i want him dealt...i'm just sure there will be interest. and griffin running is scary-but i know they've talked to him about the importance of sliding and getting out of bounds. he doesn't want to miss time any more than the rest of the team does, so hopefully he will be a savvier runner.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 AM
Flemington

Bills to hire Syracuse coach. I know nothing about Marrone, but I just have a feeling that Bills fans are not going to be too thrilled with this.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...ge-sources-say
Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Bills to hire Syracuse coach. I know nothing about Marrone, but I just have a feeling that Bills fans are not going to be too thrilled with this.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/88...ge-sources-say
He's one of the four guys that i'd be happy with in Eagle green. I guess i'm down to Bruce Arians, Gus Bradley and Mike McCoy.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
He's one of the four guys that i'd be happy with in Eagle green. I guess i'm down to Bruce Arians, Gus Bradley and Mike McCoy.
Do you think that an unproven guy is the right answer for the Eagles? I think if Arians doesn't get a job this off-season it's a travesty. The job he did this year in Indy was phenomenal, but I'm wondering if that talent-laden Eagles roster (especially on defense) would be better off with a proven commodity. Given the talent they have on defense, someone like Lovie Smith would make sense to me.

It is a bit ironic that the head coaches that are en vogue are so cyclical. Schiano does well with Tampa and now college coaches are popular again. After McCarthy, Childress, Smith and many others jumped up and had success, coordinators with no experience became the best hires.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Do you think that an unproven guy is the right answer for the Eagles? I think if Arians doesn't get a job this off-season it's a travesty. The job he did this year in Indy was phenomenal, but I'm wondering if that talent-laden Eagles roster (especially on defense) would be better off with a proven commodity. Given the talent they have on defense, someone like Lovie Smith would make sense to me.

It is a bit ironic that the head coaches that are en vogue are so cyclical. Schiano does well with Tampa and now college coaches are popular again. After McCarthy, Childress, Smith and many others jumped up and had success, coordinators with no experience became the best hires.
I will be interested to see how Shiano works out, there was a lot of anonymous resentment towards him at the end of the season.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

This is the first time the last couple of seasons that I've heard the words "talent" and "Eagles defense" in the same sentence.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
This is the first time the last couple of seasons that I've heard the words "talent" and "Eagles defense" in the same sentence.
Nnamdi Asomugha, Trent Cole, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, and Demeco Ryans are talented players who have underperformed either since coming to Philly or suddenly in the last few years. They have $32.6 million tied up in Asomugha ($15m), Cole ($3.5m), Mike Patterson ($2.9m), Cullen Jenkins ($4.5m), Ryans ($6.7m) next year. They have badly underperformed but have all shown talent at some point. After all, this is a team that is two short seasons removed from being dubbed "The Dream Team" by the one and only Vince Young.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Belmont Park

Chip Kelly staying at Oregon:

http://nesn.com/2013/01/report-chip-...ing-on-to-nfl/