Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-28-2022, 10:07 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
I would rather read a posted opinion, even if I thought it was silly vs. reading a cryptic post on how I can't read it.
It's not cryptic. It's a shot at me for saying that I intentionally don't vote for the Eclipse awards. He's pathetic and desperate for attention.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:28 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
It's not cryptic. It's a shot at me for saying that I intentionally don't vote for the Eclipse awards. He's pathetic and desperate for attention.
You'd think his scumbag move of chastising Bejarano on mic a few weeks back would have given him enough attention for awhile.

Or when he was going to fleece people out of $75 for his BS Breeders Cup trip notes....only to get called on it and make up some silly story about how it was all for charity. No bottom with Vic. Just when you think he's really oyt his foot in it, he has a way of surprising you.

This is what I always find so fascinating about Vic. No one cries victim more than him, but many times, he's the first to start things. If there was an eclipse for scumbag of the year, he'd win in a landslide every year.

I'm just glad he gives me so many opportunities to highlight what an awful person he is.

Cue the tome about how I don't know him (but everything I say is 100% true) and all he wants to do is talk racing with real fans. He's posted that so many times he should be able to just copy and paste it.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:42 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
You'd think his scumbag move of chastising Bejarano on mic a few weeks back would have given him enough attention for awhile.

Or when he was going to fleece people out of $75 for his BS Breeders Cup trip notes....only to get called on it and make up some silly story about how it was all for charity. No bottom with Vic. Just when you think he's really oyt his foot in it, he has a way of surprising you.

This is what I always find so fascinating about Vic. No one cries victim more than him, but many times, he's the first to start things. If there was an eclipse for scumbag of the year, he'd win in a landslide every year.

I'm just glad he gives me so many opportunities to highlight what an awful person he is.

Cue the tome about how I don't know him (but everything I say is 100% true) and all he wants to do is talk racing with real fans. He's posted that so many times he should be able to just copy and paste it.
If you didn't know he was a real person, you would suspect he was a very clever bot that was created to show how successful pandering can be on the internet. It's kind of remarkable. Generally, though, he's a good litmus test for posters. Never a great sign when someone is fooled by his ridiculous behavior.
Old 12-28-2022, 12:54 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Too sensitive, you

Old 12-28-2022, 01:27 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Too sensitive, you

This doesn't make any sense.
Old 12-28-2022, 02:05 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
You should consider field strength when voting if you take your job seriously.

Epicenter's Travers was the best route run by a 3-year-old in '22

I think Taiba will win as well.

If you are using 106 for Taiba, Forbidden Kingdom did run well. I think FK ran his regular 96/7 and hasn't improved. Taiba hasn't sprinted since his mdn race. I don't think he ran his best sprint fig ever, not when meh fillies ran .24 slower an hour earlier. I have no problem with 106. It is a complex number to come up with as it hard to play it straight vs. the Labrea
Given your thoughts on the Malibu vs. LaBrea issue, if you don't mind, can you share your opinion, if you have one, on the Golden Rod vs. Kentucky Jockey Club a few weeks ago? Hoosier Filly won the filly race and went 1.31 seconds faster than Instant Coffer in the male race. They were the same distance one race apart. Thanks in advance.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 12-28-2022, 03:27 PM
Jerome Park

Only on the internet could someone consider Freddy an expert of speed figure construction.
Old 12-28-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Only on the internet could someone consider Freddy an expert of speed figure construction.
I'd appreciate your opinion on it if you have one. Thank you.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 12-28-2022, 03:49 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
FTFY Freddy is an expert on Speed Figure Destruction
Old 12-28-2022, 03:54 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
FTFY Freddy is an expert on Speed Figure Destruction
Deconstruction?
Old 12-28-2022, 03:56 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
Given your thoughts on the Malibu vs. LaBrea issue, if you don't mind, can you share your opinion, if you have one, on the Golden Rod vs. Kentucky Jockey Club a few weeks ago? Hoosier Filly won the filly race and went 1.31 seconds faster than Instant Coffer in the male race. They were the same distance, one race apart. Thanks in advance.
I read the book and have known people who make figures in some cases for 20-plus years. I have a functional understanding of the process mostly thru being around people that are experts. I never bash them, yet I find them interesting to discuss because on complex days, there is a bit of artistry in the methodology, and the artistry, and I use that word respectfully, is where the expertise lies, not in the simple math process.
Old 12-28-2022, 03:57 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Deconstruction?
That was the word I was looking for thx lol
Old 12-28-2022, 04:06 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I read the book and have known people who make figures in some cases for 20-plus years. I have a functional understanding of the process mostly thru being around people that are experts. I never bash them, yet I find them interesting to discuss because on complex days, there is a bit of artistry in the methodology, and the artistry, and I use that word respectfully, is where the expertise lies, not in the simple math process.
I find it interesting that he asks the same questions over and over again, for literally years on end. The numbers are different because that's what the figure maker decided to do. If you don't agree, try to take advantage of it at the windows. It's beyond ridiculous.
Old 12-28-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Are you ok with that? I mean, I guess we have to be but does the artistry bother you at all? It sometimes feels to me more like manipulation. I get the whole idea behind projections and norms and what makes sense. But to me, the beauty of racing is that you never know what you may see or get from race to race. You may or may not know owner/trainer intentions for a horse in a given race. By that I mean, and this is admittedly an older concept than a current one given how horses are campaigned today, but I came up at a time when guys like Whittingham would use races instead of works to get their horses into the best shape to win their main targets. Preps were just that. So you'd see one of his horses show up and run and trying to assign a figure would be very difficult cause you couldn't just point to his norm and say what a figure should be. Or take a race like the Derby or the Belmont. How can we know what the norms are for the runners in those races when none of them have ever run under the race conditions?

When I look at a situation like the Golden Rod/KJC day, it frustrates me because, while I'm nowhere close to any expert, I have watched races for almost 40 years and I'd like to think that I've picked up some things even if by accident. She ran the faster race that day but without proof, they are telling me that the track changed and no, his race was faster. It just makes me wonder what the reasoning is. I guess in the end, it's just another way to try to take advantage of the other players if you feel like you have better information.
Old 12-28-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I find it interesting that he asks the same questions over and over again, for literally years on end. The numbers are different because that's what the figure maker decided to do. If you don't agree, try to take advantage of it at the windows. It's beyond ridiculous.
I find you interesting.
Old 12-28-2022, 06:21 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
Are you ok with that? I mean, I guess we have to be but does the artistry bother you at all? It sometimes feels to me more like manipulation. I get the whole idea behind projections and norms and what makes sense. But to me, the beauty of racing is that you never know what you may see or get from race to race. You may or may not know owner/trainer intentions for a horse in a given race. By that I mean, and this is admittedly an older concept than a current one given how horses are campaigned today, but I came up at a time when guys like Whittingham would use races instead of works to get their horses into the best shape to win their main targets. Preps were just that. So you'd see one of his horses show up and run and trying to assign a figure would be very difficult cause you couldn't just point to his norm and say what a figure should be. Or take a race like the Derby or the Belmont. How can we know what the norms are for the runners in those races when none of them have ever run under the race conditions?

When I look at a situation like the Golden Rod/KJC day, it frustrates me because, while I'm nowhere close to any expert, I have watched races for almost 40 years and I'd like to think that I've picked up some things even if by accident. She ran the faster race that day but without proof, they are telling me that the track changed and no, his race was faster. It just makes me wonder what the reasoning is. I guess in the end, it's just another way to try to take advantage of the other players if you feel like you have better information.
She didn't win by 19l. If she had, the fig makers would have a different take. She won by a few lengths, which means the other fillies also ran faster than the boys. It's not just her that makes a fig; I think you must know that. BTW I don't get why Amoss believes she is all that and a bag of chips. Perhaps he has been hanging out with Vic Generational Talent Stauffer? lol

It doesn't bother me because the people behind the figures, be it TG, Ragz, TF, or BSF, are trying to get it right. They aren't trying to manipulate or deceive. CJ decided he couldn't live with the BS timing problems because he respected his work and the player too much, so he became the unofficial official time checker. Why would a guy spend hours verifying times if it wasn't his goal to be as accurate as possible? Why would Beyer consult with other respected fig makers within and outside his organization if he wasn't trying to get it right? Nobody is perfect. It's a complex discipline; the tracks change, the weather changes, biases come and go timing malfunctions, and or gets reported wrong. A million things make it imperfect. Some of the time, everything falls in line. Other times you have to cut races loose; it's all part and parcel.
Old 12-28-2022, 06:41 PM
Keeneland

Time to hang it up Freddy. You’ll never make a more honest, succinct and accurate post ever again.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:32 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post

I already have TWO Eclipse awards. A third would just be showing off.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:42 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
If you didn't know he was a real person, you would suspect he was a very clever bot that was created to show how successful pandering can be on the internet. It's kind of remarkable. Generally, though, he's a good litmus test for posters. Never a great sign when someone is fooled by his ridiculous behavior.
Ever notice I NEVER say anything personal about you? Don't say you're a POS or a bad person or anything else. You're incapable of making a post without a full psycho analysis of the PERSON who made the post. Not what he or she said but who they are for saying it. I get called things that would make people think I'm the anti-christ. But I just keep trudging forward sharing takes and picking a few winners. Someone in this thread, NOT ME, suggested you might be overly sensitive. Earlier a smart person said "me thinks thou doth protest too much" Might be something to that.

As for crying for attention. Without you and DA-WHATEVER I would be getting a tiny fraction of attention. Why not just ignore me? And I'll do the same of you two.
Old 12-28-2022, 11:08 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
This doesn't make any sense.
I think he's saying you're an opinionated guy who throws barbs back and forth on your shows and isn't sensitive about it.

Especially since New Yorkers are famous for not being too sensitive about anything.

Can have a knock down drag out argument one minute and a beer the next.

That's how I read what he was saying.

Can I opine that or is it pandering?