Default Yao done for season

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3265631

See ya Rockets
Old 02-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Thistley Downs

Yow!
Old 02-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Santa Anita

Very unfortunate. That team was ballin'.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I was wondering what was taking Yao so long to suffer through what's becoming his yearly injury.

2006-inflammation of the bone caused by bacteria caused him to miss 21 games then broken metatarsal bone caused him to miss the end of the season.

2007- small fracture on his right anterior medial tibial plateau that caused him to miss 32 games.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 02-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
I was wondering what was taking Yao so long to suffer through what's becoming his yearly injury.

2006-inflammation of the bone caused by bacteria caused him to miss 21 games then broken metatarsal bone caused him to miss the end of the season.

2007- small fracture on his right anterior medial tibial plateau that caused him to miss 32 games.
And he could have prevented these injuries how? This is a huge loss and the west just got easier. Denver must feel real lucky at this point.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

It's amazing he made it through 3 full seasons before his body started to break down. Humans just aren't supposed to be that big. He can't have much more than five years left.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey17
And he could have prevented these injuries how? This is a huge loss and the west just got easier. Denver must feel real lucky at this point.
=================
No one will ever gain a conf. title with Iverson and Marshmellow on the same team.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodey17
Didn't say that he could have prevented them. It's just that some players seem to have a history of getting injured more than others. Ilgauskas was that way for a while. McGrady is still that way. Shaq is that way. Vince Carter. Kobe Bryant to a lesser extent. He's had seasons of missing 16, 14, 17 and 16 games and even though he's playing through it, he's injured again this year.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
It's amazing he made it through 3 full seasons before his body started to break down. Humans just aren't supposed to be that big. He can't have much more than five years left.
Ilgauskas missed almost 3 full years early in his career and had both feet almost completely restructured by surgery. The last 6 years he has not missed more than 4 games in any season. OF course he probably weighs 40-50 pounds less than Yao.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
Ilgauskas missed almost 3 full years early in his career and had both feet almost completely restructured by surgery. The last 6 years he has not missed more than 4 games in any season. OF course he probably weighs 40-50 pounds less than Yao.
I don't think the extra 3 inches helps either. Z is as close to the normal 7 footer as he is to Yao.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:03 PM
pgardn

Unfortunate but not unexpected.
One team I feared.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Oriental Park

If Z wouldnt have missed those 3 seasons he would be in the middle of a hall of fame career
Old 02-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Havre de Grace

As a Houstonian and a lifelong Rockets fans this was obviously devastating news.

It is becoming an all too common occurrence and names like Rik Smits, Sam Bowie, and Mark Eaton are starting to become the ones whom you're imagining Yao's career to emulate. It doesn't get any better that he'll most likely rush back so that he can play for China in the Olympics and be in shambles when training camp starts.

The Rockets went 20-12 without Yao a year ago during the regular season and this year's team is quite a bit more talented. Thankfully Rick Adelman has developed Carl Landry a lot more than a guy like Van Gundy would have, but it's tough to imagine Landry, Luis Scola, and Chuck Hayes can come close to matching the productivity you just lost.

I still think the Rockets will make the playoffs because Denver is a dysfunctional team that can't win road games. You also have to imagine New Orleans is coming back to the pack as they have lost three in a row, have two tough games coming up and close with 14 of 21 on the road. I don't think they'll miss the playoffs altogether but may get dicey.

So congrats Lakers/Spurs fans, you just had one potential nuisance bumped off.

NT
Old 02-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Coach Pants

Really doesn't make much of a difference. It's not like McLady and Oww will win a championship.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
As a Houstonian and a lifelong Rockets fans this was obviously devastating news.

It is becoming an all too common occurrence and names like Rik Smits, Sam Bowie, and Mark Eaton are starting to become the ones whom you're imagining Yao's career to emulate. It doesn't get any better that he'll most likely rush back so that he can play for China in the Olympics and be in shambles when training camp starts.

The Rockets went 20-12 without Yao a year ago during the regular season and this year's team is quite a bit more talented. Thankfully Rick Adelman has developed Carl Landry a lot more than a guy like Van Gundy would have, but it's tough to imagine Landry, Luis Scola, and Chuck Hayes can come close to matching the productivity you just lost.

I still think the Rockets will make the playoffs because Denver is a dysfunctional team that can't win road games. You also have to imagine New Orleans is coming back to the pack as they have lost three in a row, have two tough games coming up and close with 14 of 21 on the road. I don't think they'll miss the playoffs altogether but may get dicey.

NT
I get where you are trying to go with this but Yao has already done far more than Smits or Bowie or Eaton did.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
I get where you are trying to go with this but Yao has already done far more than Smits or Bowie or Eaton did.
Oh, hey, don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Yao fan and know that he can only be compared to the above three in terms of injury issues with feet/knees. I hope only that he recovers and can somehow find a way to avoid being an injury plagued center that never reaches his full potential. I fear that's where he's headed.

NT
Old 02-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Really doesn't make much of a difference. It's not like McLady and Oww will win a championship.
If you just made those two up then you're a bit funnier than I already thought. If you recycled them then I'm still impressed. I definitely laughed.

NT
Old 02-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
If you just made those two up then you're a bit funnier than I already thought. If you recycled them then I'm still impressed. I definitely laughed.

NT
Original content.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:46 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:

NT
get mutumbo back..deadliest elbows in the game......
Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:

NT
He stole them from Oinkman.