Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Yeah, I always wondered why the Lexington was the last ditch place to get earnings, when the Jerome, though north into the New York area (resulting in having to ship into Kentucky later), offers as much, if not more, otherwise.
Correct me if I'm wrong, buy I believe Thr Jerome has only recently been switched to the spring, and used to be run in the early fall at Belmont.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncrush View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, buy I believe Thr Jerome has only recently been switched to the spring, and used to be run in the early fall at Belmont.
no, you're right. it got moved to aqueduct, rather than at belmont later.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Steve Byk

CD: 5/5/12 - Kentucky Derby (G1)

1 Hansen Michael Maker $1,550,000
2 Daddy Long Legs Aidan O'Brien $1,294,030
3 Union Rags Michael Matz $1,170,000
4 Dullahan Dale Romans $855,000
5 Creative Cause Mike Harrington $836,000
6 Wrote (IRE) Aidan O'Brien $756,630 -- Uncertain per Darren Rogers
7 Gemologist Todd Pletcher $703,855
8 Sabercat Steve Asmussen $701,429
9 Take Charge Indy Patrick Byrne $698,400
10 Secret Circle Bob Baffert $670,000 -- Uncertain per Darren Rogers
11 Bodemeister Bob Baffert $660,000
12 I'll Have Another Doug O'Neill $601,000
13 Daddy Nose Best Steve Asmussen $545,558
14 Liaison Bob Baffert $393,000 -- Uncertain per Darren Rogers
15 Alpha Kiaran McLaughlin $380,000
16 Prospective Mark Casse $367,327
17 Trinniberg Bisnath Parboo $324,500 -- Preakness
18 Done Talking Hamilton Smith $311,000
19 Drill Bob Baffert $300,000 -- Highly unlikely
20 Went the Day Well Graham Motion $282,000 -- Lexington
------------------------------------------------------------------------
21 Rousing Sermon Jerry Hollendorfer $270,000
22 Mark Valeski Larry Jones $260,000
23 El Padrino Todd Pletcher $250,000
24 Reveron Agustin Bezara $220,000 -- Lexington
25 Isn't He Clever Henry Dominguez $188,000
26 Optimizer D. Wayne Lukas $184,708
27 Castaway Bob Baffert $162,000
28 Currency Swap Teresa Pompey $150,000
29 My Adonis Kelly Breen $140,000
30. Brother Francis Jim Cassidy $135,000
Old 04-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Fairgrounds

The odds on both Drill and Secret Circle passing on the Derby are long.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindew View Post
The odds on both Drill and Secret Circle passing on the Derby are long.
Drill is certainly not running.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Oaklawn

Trinniberg is an interesting story. He's a sprinter. In either the Derby or the Preakness he's going to run fast early and have a very low chance of hanging around until the end. So given that, why would you go to the Preakness and not just try the Derby? I suppose he might get an "easier" lead in the Preakness... but we're still talking about a really fast 6-7 furlong horse.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
Trinniberg is an interesting story. He's a sprinter. In either the Derby or the Preakness he's going to run fast early and have a very low chance of hanging around until the end. So given that, why would you go to the Preakness and not just try the Derby? I suppose he might get an "easier" lead in the Preakness... but we're still talking about a really fast 6-7 furlong horse.
Because in the Derby he would have to face Bodemeister whose only wins have been on the lead and Hansen who stalked in the Gotham but otherwise guns it like a quarterhorse early... I could envison them opening up a 10 length lead on the field while deuling.

Damar Hamlin
Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Because in the Derby he would have to face Bodemeister whose only wins have been on the lead and Hansen who stalked in the Gotham but otherwise guns it like a quarterhorse early... I could envison them opening up a 10 length lead on the field while deuling.
Trinniberg went 20 4/5ths for an opening quarter mile the last time he raced at Churchill ... and he ran the fastest Moss Pace figure ever published in the Hopeful as a 2yo.

He's able to relax this year because they've removed the blinkers and no one has been dumb enough to test him early.

With a huge crowd, 20 horse field, riders asking a little out of the gate for position, he's most likely going to get competitive and sprint. He'll fry all the tactical speeds and even mid-pack types. Anything within 12 lengths of him will totally stop.

Trinniberg isn't a front-end router like Hansen and Bodemeister -- he's a horse who could get the lead in a race like the Breeders Cup Sprint.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Trinniberg went 20 4/5ths for an opening quarter mile the last time he raced at Churchill ... and he ran the fastest Moss Pace figure ever published in the Hopeful as a 2yo.

He's able to relax this year because they've removed the blinkers and no one has been dumb enough to test him early.

With a huge crowd, 20 horse field, he's most likely going to get competitive and sprint. He'll fry all the tactical speeds and even mid-pack types. Anything within 12 lengths of him will totally stop.
That is why I am putting together my list of horses making big moves from 3/4 home in the 9 FL preps. This looks like it really sets up for Dulahan but I have questions on whether he can get over dirt.

Damar Hamlin
Old 04-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Once they turn for home they all will be looking at I'll Have Another's bunghole.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 AM
Steve Byk

TRINNIBERG LIKELY TO BYPASS DERBY; DERBY TRIAL NEW TARGET

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. (April 15, 2012) – With the final round of major prep races for the Kentucky Derby completed on Saturday, the Calder-based multiple graded stakes winner Trinniberg sits in 17th place in the latest graded-stakes earnings list. But even with his spot in the Derby starting gate seemingly assured, owner Shivananda Parbhoo has indicated that his colt is likely to pass the race.

“Right now I’m 85 percent not going to the Derby,” Parbhoo said on Sunday morning. “But I could reach 100 percent pretty soon. The way the horse is feeling right now, he’s doing so well, I don’t want to run him over his head. He’s a nice three-year-old with so many options the rest of the year. I don’t want to ruin him.”

While those mid-to-late season options could include such races as the Grade 2 Woody Stephens at Belmont Park on June 9 and the Grade 1 King’s Bishop at Saratoga August 25, the next option for the recent Grade 3 Bay Shore winner could be the $200,000 Grade 3 Derby Trial at Churchill Downs, run at the distance of one mile on April 28.

“We’ll work him some time between the 18th and the 20th, and then we’ll look at the Derby Trial as the next logical spot,” Parbhoo said. “I think the one-mile distance of that race is perfect for him. And it’s a way to stretch him out a bit, without asking too much of him.”

Following a possible start in the Derby Trial, Parbhoo hinted that Trinniberg could still make a Triple Crown appearance in Baltimore, contesting the Grade 1 Preakness Stakes on May 19. But even that option appears to be fading somewhat from the owner’s mind.

“The Preakness could still be a goal, but a lot of that would depend on how he ran in the Derby Trial,” Parbhoo said. “If we decide to run (in the Derby Trial) and he was to win that race really easy, then we might look at the Preakness. But right now, my thinking is that I’d really like to keep him at seven furlongs to one mile.

“Believe me, I want to go to the Derby; the day we bought our first horse, our dream was the Derby,” Parbhoo continued. “But it’s not about me, it’s about the horse. I won’t ruin a really nice horse just to say I ran a horse in the Kentucky Derby.”
Old 04-16-2012, 06:28 AM
Dee Tee Stables

saw that article yesterday. if only others would do the same thing.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
“But it’s not about me, it’s about the horse. I won’t ruin a really nice horse just to say I ran a horse in the Kentucky Derby.”
Old 04-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Fairgrounds

I just read that Wrote is not coming....DLL is making the trip.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Dee Tee Stables

HOT SPRINGS, Ark. – Bodemeister, Secret Circle, and Sabercat, the first three finishers, respectively, in the Arkansas Derby on Saturday, all came out of the race in good order and will share a plane ride to Kentucky on Monday morning to begin final preparations for the May 5 Kentucky Derby, their respective camps said Sunday morning at Oaklawn Park.

from bloodhorse....
Old 04-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. – Bodemeister, Secret Circle, and Sabercat, the first three finishers, respectively, in the Arkansas Derby on Saturday, all came out of the race in good order and will share a plane ride to Kentucky on Monday morning to begin final preparations for the May 5 Kentucky Derby, their respective camps said Sunday morning at Oaklawn Park.

from bloodhorse....
Thankfully there will still be time for Secret Circle to be cut back to sprints after his 14th place finish in the Derby.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Thankfully there will still be time for Secret Circle to be cut back to sprints after his 14th place finish in the Derby.
I can only hope Secret Circle takes a lot of money, but with Bodemeister being named after Baffert's son, I am afraid the majority of Baffert lovers will end up there. Just wait until NBC does a heartwarming story on it Derby Day and watch Bode's odds drop.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
I can only hope Secret Circle takes a lot of money, but with Bodemeister being named after Baffert's son, I am afraid the majority of Baffert lovers will end up there. Just wait until NBC does a heartwarming story on it Derby Day and watch Bode's odds drop.
Secret Circle will be 25-1 or higher.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Belmont Park

Reveron passing on the Lexington, Ships Sunday to CD with hopes for the Derby per Marty McGee @ DRF
Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
What six horses will he beat?