Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Tropical Park

Default Coming to a close.....

I'm no longer interested....

I realized today that I did not look at a race, PP or anything to do with horse racing in the past week to ten days. While some would say that is no big deal, I must admit that I was pretty much a daily player since 1986. It appears the game has sucked the interest right out of me.

I know most of you will see this posting as sour grapes, sore loser, etc, etc. But, let me start off by saying I cashed 12 IRS tickets in 6 days including a $21,000 pick 4 at Los Al in April. You'd think that would be enough to keep me coming back for years on end. Nope. The state of horse racing makes me embarrassed for all of those involved.

For years, the list of things that irritated me grew. Soon, the irritation grew as well. Now, the irritation is gone and all that is left is complete apathy.

I really never thought it would happen. I was exposed to the game in mid 1986. I had a racing form for 85% of racing days for a 15 year stretch up until soft copy forms took over. In looking at the numbers, my handle had gone from around $100 per day - pre simulcasting- to about $2k per day. It has now slipped into oblivion. Not because I earn less (in fact I earn more now than I ever did) but because the game of horse racing only vaguely resembles that of which I grew to love.

The obvious "straw" that broke this camel’s back was the influx of drugs and rampant cheating now prevalent. I wondered aloud once, in jest, if a trainer would win 100% of his starts for a single meet. Day after day, month after month, the win percentage by these super trainers rise to absurd levels. In addition, their horses are bet down to miniscule numbers and win with authority.

When this first started to happen, most, including myself, were startled but we tredged on. We would say things like "just factor it into your betting" or "if you can't beat 'em, bet 'em" and garbage like that. Obviously, this was meant to rationalize staying involved in something so obviously crooked. Now, with the likes of Rudy Rodriguez on the scene, it has become so farcical that you have to wonder if he hides his face from the security camera when he picks up his winner’s purse.

I'm certain cheating has always been involved in horse racing. But never has the larceny been so blatant and obvious. However, the cheating in and of itself didn't drive me away. In fact, it was more due to the lack of action by those policing the sport.

A few years ago, there was an up in arms following the tragic death of Eight Belles. We saw Jack Van Berg's pitch to politicians that horse racing was "chemical warfare". Not a single thing of note came out of those hearings and it has been back to business as usual. It appears that no matter how loud we scream about the problems of racing, nobody that can make a difference will react. Apparently the only way we can be taken seriously is through the retraction of our betting dollar.

So, that is where I am today....retracting. Not to make a point or "show them" or anything of the sort. I'm just tired of the charade. It's really not that interesting any longer....at least to me.

I'd be curious how the rest of you feel. I'm sure this posting will take its usual punishment but would love to hear how the rest of you feel about the state of the game.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:21 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
I know most of you will see this posting as sour grapes, sore loser, etc, etc.
Quote:
I'm sure this posting will take its usual punishment
These two statements make me think you feel you're betraying the game you loved. Everything you said seems genuine and I'm positive you're not alone.

Quote:
I really never thought it would happen
I had this same feeling for years after I first started playing. I began feeling my passion for the game had reached a peak a few years after full card simulcasting had begun. I realized less is more,at least for me.

When I was playing one local track before simulcasting my work schedule would rarely allow me to play during the week. The weekend races meant more. Suddenly I was now able to play California racing after work, 7 days a week if I chose.

The "good old days" are behind me forever and while my passion for the game may not be at the level it once was I don't foresee myself giving up the game.

It's disappointing to hear you and others like yourself are leaving.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:32 AM
Randwyck

Sounds to me like you viewed horse racing as only an entity to gamble. For racing to win you back, many things need to change. Many others are just diehards (obviously, not enough of us)

I see it as much more than that and can enjoy racing without gambling, scouring the form, etc. Just the other night I must have watched an hour or two of old replays (totally forgot about Cetewayo falling in the Man O War that Daylami won in 1998) posted on Youtube from Partymanners (or how about this jem of a broadcast which included an in-race jockey cam, well-used too, from the 1995 Caesars Palace Turf Championship at Hollywood, won by Sandpit... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqXf1yxq318).
Old 07-12-2010, 06:59 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split Rock View Post
I'm no longer interested....

I realized today that I did not look at a race, PP or anything to do with horse racing in the past week to ten days. While some would say that is no big deal, I must admit that I was pretty much a daily player since 1986. It appears the game has sucked the interest right out of me.

I know most of you will see this posting as sour grapes, sore loser, etc, etc. But, let me start off by saying I cashed 12 IRS tickets in 6 days including a $21,000 pick 4 at Los Al in April. You'd think that would be enough to keep me coming back for years on end. Nope. The state of horse racing makes me embarrassed for all of those involved.

For years, the list of things that irritated me grew. Soon, the irritation grew as well. Now, the irritation is gone and all that is left is complete apathy.

I really never thought it would happen. I was exposed to the game in mid 1986. I had a racing form for 85% of racing days for a 15 year stretch up until soft copy forms took over. In looking at the numbers, my handle had gone from around $100 per day - pre simulcasting- to about $2k per day. It has now slipped into oblivion. Not because I earn less (in fact I earn more now than I ever did) but because the game of horse racing only vaguely resembles that of which I grew to love.

The obvious "straw" that broke this camel’s back was the influx of drugs and rampant cheating now prevalent. I wondered aloud once, in jest, if a trainer would win 100% of his starts for a single meet. Day after day, month after month, the win percentage by these super trainers rise to absurd levels. In addition, their horses are bet down to miniscule numbers and win with authority.

When this first started to happen, most, including myself, were startled but we tredged on. We would say things like "just factor it into your betting" or "if you can't beat 'em, bet 'em" and garbage like that. Obviously, this was meant to rationalize staying involved in something so obviously crooked. Now, with the likes of Rudy Rodriguez on the scene, it has become so farcical that you have to wonder if he hides his face from the security camera when he picks up his winner’s purse.

I'm certain cheating has always been involved in horse racing. But never has the larceny been so blatant and obvious. However, the cheating in and of itself didn't drive me away. In fact, it was more due to the lack of action by those policing the sport.

A few years ago, there was an up in arms following the tragic death of Eight Belles. We saw Jack Van Berg's pitch to politicians that horse racing was "chemical warfare". Not a single thing of note came out of those hearings and it has been back to business as usual. It appears that no matter how loud we scream about the problems of racing, nobody that can make a difference will react. Apparently the only way we can be taken seriously is through the retraction of our betting dollar.

So, that is where I am today....retracting. Not to make a point or "show them" or anything of the sort. I'm just tired of the charade. It's really not that interesting any longer....at least to me.

I'd be curious how the rest of you feel. I'm sure this posting will take its usual punishment but would love to hear how the rest of you feel about the state of the game.
then why post on a horsy board..you will be back...toga on the 23rd..
Old 07-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead View Post
toga on the 23rd..
Yeah Rudy should have them firing on all cylinders up there.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Goodwood

I hear ya dude.

I can still watch and enjoy the sport, but making a bet, to me it's like a form of slow suicide.

As far as trainers cheating, are you trying to say that when Byrne went 14 for 17 (with I believe 2 seconds) at Keeneland one meet (the year he had Secretariat and Ruffian, ie Favorite Trick and Countess Diana), he was cheating?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

and

yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 07-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Keeneland

Sometimes message boards are like that movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray. This is one of those times.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Coach Pants

I bet he runs 9 minute miles too.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Hollywood Park

Your post is genuine . You make excellent points . I understand your decision to take a break from the game . If this is only a part of a greater loss of interest in all things in general please see your doctor .
Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 AM
The Curragh

All I got to say is.........REDBOARDER!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Calder Race Course

does the time of the OP have any correlation to it's content?

Today, 04:33 AM
Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Churchill Downs

Betting 2k a day is where YOUR problem is. Winning 21k on a pick 4 is not much IF your spending that much per day.

Spending that much a day doesnt require that much handicapping skill. You took the fun out of the game yourself.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Idlewild Airport

Racing will look different a decade from now. Fewer tracks, fewer horses. Hopefully lower takeout. Take a break. Come back fresh.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by eajinabi View Post
Betting 2k a day is where YOUR problem is. Winning 21k on a pick 4 is not much IF your spending that much per day.

Spending that much a day doesnt require that much handicapping skill. You took the fun out of the game yourself.
Handle consists of rebetting winnings. I'm not saying I'm losing or spending $2k per day but had a handle of that much.

However, point taken.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Handle consists of rebetting winnings. I'm not saying I'm losing or spending $2k per day but had a handle of that much.

However, point taken.
just curious...what other sports do you follow?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Goodwood

Quote:

However, point taken.
I can understand why someone isn't enamored with the game right now- there's times it's hard to love. When the Jamie Ness' of the world run rampant it turns me off. But like most sports, it's a cyclical game- there are other times in history where things weren't great, for example the pre-BC 80's weren't spectacular; I was too young to make a qualitative decision at that point, but I could see how a fan in that era wouldn't be excited. Take a step back for awhile.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfer33 View Post
All I got to say is.........REDBOARDER!!!!!!!!
What does that mean?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:51 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
What does that mean?
He's kidding you for telling us about the big P4 hit at Los Al now...

Didn't get a chance to respond yesterday, but wanted to. I never thought I'd ever get to a place where I couldn't care less about the MLB box scores or the batting average list or miss a Championship or World Series game. Same with NFL action. But I grew so tired of pro sports, (other than the NHL which remains the most pleasant professional sport), that I barely pay attention.

I was a season ticket holder of the Reds, Royals and Expos while living in Cincinnati, Kansas City and Montreal. I was an Eagles season ticket holder in the Vet (Sec. 729, Row 13) for 14 years commuting to Philly on Sundays and Mondays from Montreal and later Saratoga the whole time. And I had Direct TV to watch he road games. Last year I may have watched only 6-7 of the Birds' 16 games.

Point is, ardor ebbs and flows, and passions go in various directions. As I've gotten older, racing has become more interesting and enticing to me than team sports. I'm as surprised by it as you seem to be with your declining interest in racing and wagering.

You may not have acknowledged that there were people 'taking an edge' when you first got involved as a horseplayer, but there were. The fact is that there is better policing of the sport now than ever in its' history, and more progress has been made in the area in the last 5 years than in the previous 30. The Rudy Rod stories will always jump up with something that is providing them an edge, but it never lasts. They get stopped and the latest innovation is added to the list of super testing.

If you really examine it, I'd expect you'll find more underlying reasons for being drawn away from racing than the less-widespread-than-people-think drug issue.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
He's kidding you for telling us about the big P4 hit at Los Al now...

Didn't get a chance to respond yesterday, but wanted to. I never thought I'd ever get to a place where I couldn't care less about the MLB box scores or the batting average list or miss a Championship or World Series game. Same with NFL action. But I grew so tired of pro sports, (other than the NHL which remains the most pleasant professional sport), that I barely pay attention.

I was a season ticket holder of the Reds, Royals and Expos while living in Cincinnati, Kansas City and Montreal. I was an Eagles season ticket holder in the Vet (Sec. 729, Row 13) for 14 years commuting to Philly on Sundays and Mondays from Montreal and later Saratoga the whole time. And I had Direct TV to watch he road games. Last year I may have watched only 6-7 of the Birds' 16 games.

Point is, ardor ebbs and flows, and passions go in various directions. As I've gotten older, racing has become more interesting and enticing to me than team sports. I'm as surprised by it as you seem to be with your declining interest in racing and wagering.

You may not have acknowledged that there were people 'taking an edge' when you first got involved as a horseplayer, but there were. The fact is that there is better policing of the sport now than ever in its' history, and more progress has been made in the area in the last 5 years than in the previous 30. The Rudy Rod stories will always jump up with something that is providing them an edge, but it never lasts. They get stopped and the latest innovation is added to the list of super testing.

If you really examine it, I'd expect you'll find more underlying reasons for being drawn away from racing than the less-widespread-than-people-think drug issue.