Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJ
I didn't realize that these animals always do as they are told and instructed to...I didn't realize they are machines. You could do all the training and schooling in the world, and sometimes the horse doesn't listen or want to do what you are looking for it to do. I think it's absolutely foolish to pin the blame on Pletcher for the horse acting up behind the gate. Last I looked Quality Road wasn't disguised as Pletcher. And if a horse's behavior is a reflection of it's training, I'll throw this out there, an NFL team is preparing to go play in lets say Indianapolis, and all week they practice with a ton of crowd noise, and they work on making sure the offensive line is on the same page with regard to false starts, and then come Sunday, they have 6 false starts in Indianapolis, even though they dedicated extra time towards working with snap counts and to avoid false starts, is that a reflection of their training or is that something out of the coaches hands, very much like Quality Road's gate actions were out of Pletcher's hands.
But Pletcher didn't practice once in the SA gate.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJ
I didn't realize that these animals always do as they are told and instructed to...I didn't realize they are machines. You could do all the training and schooling in the world, and sometimes the horse doesn't listen or want to do what you are looking for it to do.
I'm well aware that horses are not machines and don't always behave the way they're expected to. However, QR has a history of acting up at the gate. This is not the first time he's given the starters a problem. Obviously something needs to be worked on.

Quote:
This too.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfGrey
However, QR has a history of acting up at the gate. This is not the first time he's given the starters a problem. Obviously something needs to be worked on.
Did he act this way when Jerkens had him? If this is only a recent thing, maybe he's trying to tell his connections something (like his feet are still hurting him).
Old 11-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
Most teams don't get to practice with amped up crowd noise at the venue. Most teams do their work at their practice facilities.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Steve Byk

I just heard that he also refused to get on the plane yesterday. Is going to have to be vanned back to New York!
Old 11-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
I just heard that he also refused to get on the plane yesterday. Is going to have to be vanned back to New York!
What happened did Pletcher not send you a Christmas Card or something. The friggin horse freaked out. He is the same Plethcher trained horse to run a huge 6.5f race at Spa and then ran a OK Travers and JCGC right?
Old 11-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
If that's the case, then perhaps Wolfson would be the perfect trainer for Quality Road. He could work on his shoes while he's at it.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms
If that's the case, then perhaps Wolfson would be the perfect trainer for Quality Road. He could work on his shoes while he's at it.
Mr Wolfson is an amazing trainer especially in Florida something about the good weather that make his horses really run in the sunshine
Old 11-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Chip Woolley will drive him.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

the only time mine that bird seems to move quickly anymore, when he's trailering...
Old 11-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Coach Pants

Chip Wooley looked like death warmed over in the paddock interview.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
the only time mine that bird seems to move quickly anymore, when he's trailering...
this is funny also
Old 11-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Just make sure that Kenny Rice doesn't interview him about how the trip went after he arrives in NY.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Chip Wooley looked like death warmed over in the paddock interview.
Perhaps Mine that bird could use 5 months off to be a horse again? Let him all the down and bring him back for the summer and fall next year. He looks like he could use a few months of R and R
Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Dee Tee Stables

maybe mine that bird needs to run exclusively at churchill and pimlico.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
Perhaps Mine that bird could use 5 months off to be a horse again? Let him all the down and bring him back for the summer and fall next year. He looks like he could use a few months of R and R
He could sprout wings and it wouldn't help. Makes me sick that big of a plug won the Derby.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Flemington

Whether or not it was anyone's fault, it sucks that he's such a talented horse and now they have a lot to deal with.

Article on him refusing to board the plane:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...-will-van-home