Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Idlewild Airport

Default Discreet and the Cigar

What are you expecting today? Its the last race I'm looking forward to this year, and said as much after the Cup.

My feeling is Discreet is currently the best dirt horse in training in the world as strange as that sounds to some. I'm hoping he proves it today with a phenomenal performance. If not, I'll be wrong.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
What are you expecting today? Its the last race I'm looking forward to this year, and said as much after the Cup.

My feeling is Discreet is currently the best dirt horse in training in the world as strange as that sounds to some. I'm hoping he proves it today with a phenomenal performance. If not, I'll be wrong.
It doesn't matter what he does. We'll get the same people whining about who he didn't beat whether he wins by one length or twenty.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
It doesn't matter what he does. We'll get the same people whining about who he didn't beat whether he wins by one length or twenty.
Joe Joe, it matters to me. It matters to me.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Joe Joe, it matters to me. It matters to me.
Me too.. I'm just telling you, don't expect it to matter to any of these people.. They'll be too busy complaining about who isn't running to appreciate who is.

I think DC is the fastest horse in the universe now that Bernardini's gone, and even when Bernardini was around I always said I thought DC might be faster anyway.

I'm looking forward to it.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Coach Pants

You're either with ateam or against him.

He'll win easy today.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Idlewild Airport

Discreet/Badge Exacta. 200 times. Won't pay worth a damn but that's it for me.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Me too.. I'm just telling you, don't expect it to matter to any of these people.. They'll be too busy complaining about who isn't running to appreciate who is.

I think DC is the fastest horse in the universe now that Bernardini's gone, and even when Bernardini was around I always said I thought DC might be faster anyway.

If Discreet Cat once agains destroys the field, there won't be much anyone can argue about in terms of is he the fastest horse in the world. It would be hard to argue for another horse. And there is nothing soft about todays competition.

The only remaining thing that I would want to see are some races from him at two turn classic distances.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
If Discreet Cat once agains destroys the field, there won't be much anyone can argue about in terms of is he the fastest horse in the world. It would be hard to argue for another horse. And there is nothing soft about todays competition.

The only remaining thing that I would want to see are some races from him at two turn classic distances.
Same here.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
I have always been a fan of this horse. However, I think you bring up an excellent point. I don't know if it's the "never good enough" or "never be happy" syndrome; yet that is very often at play.

If and when that stellar, in depth field faces that next potential superstar horse, and the potential superstar horse prevails -- you might hear about trips, so and so was not 100%, the field wasn't as strong as everyone initially thought, so and so didn't show up or get a hold of the track, etc.

With that in mind -- how does everyone compare Discreet Cat's last two races? The Spa race was what it was. In just looking at the horse, what I saw was that he looked so "casual" and so "at ease" -- Gomez took a hold, took him off, he was relaxed, he sat back, he moved up slow and then it was over. Now, Rick Mettee had said he wasn't cranked up, wasn't 100% tight, fit, or something along those lines.

Now, did people see the same thing last out at Belmont? Mettee said he was 100% fit and cranked up. Did he appear to be "as relaxed", while he was going, as he was at the Spa? Just curious as to what others "saw" and "felt" -- any thoughts?

Thank you.

Eric
Old 11-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Once he beats Invasor outside of Dubai I will gladly humble myself and say he is the best dirt horse in the world.

Invasor surely wasn't the first horse to run a clunker in Dubai (if you can even call it that with the trip he had), and surely won't be the last.

All things considered, I will still say that DC winning today by a head or by 10 lengths will do nothing to sway my opinion that Invasor is the best dirt horse around.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:

I share the same thoughts as you and Randall do. Discreet Cat wins for fun here today.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Del Mar

Discreet Cat wins for fun if he gets to the lead early. . . the speed bias at AQU is absolutely ridiculous today. . . I hope it's gone by the Cigar. . .
Old 11-25-2006, 12:49 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

silver train?..thats not the best...ill go with the cat/humor ext box...
Old 11-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Sunshine Park

I have to agree with you hooves. I like sharp humor to put in a big effort today. Probably can't win, but will be up close early and very gutsy.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:08 PM

im sure he will give a good effort...this horse allways gets the rodny dangerfield ....
Old 11-25-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
im sure he will give a good effort...this horse allways gets the rodny dangerfield ....
I hope you ain't talking about Sharp Humor. That horse has more fans on this board than any other active horse.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I hope you ain't talking about Sharp Humor. That horse has more fans on this board than any other active horse.
not really..he is allways getting the under card....back of the shirt...and somebody does not like him ..entered vs barbero/dc..yesh can we get a softer spot....
Old 11-25-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
not really..he is allways getting the under card....back of the shirt...and somebody does not like him ..entered vs barbero/dc..yesh can we get a softer spot....
He is back of the shirt, but all the Barbaro cheerleaders are praying he makes his way to the front so they can say Barbaro beat someone in a race other than the Derby..
Old 11-25-2006, 01:38 PM

i see your point...i just like this horse ..trys hard ..hopefully he can get around the winner...
Old 11-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Santa Anita

i gotta give SH a shot here...3rd off layoff.