Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
Musical theater (which is what I assume you mean by "broadway") is a uniquely American art form. Great musicals are great art. The problem is, that, like most anything that sets out to entertain us, the majority of it is mediocre. A lot of great standards originated in musicals.
I hear you. It just doesn't do it for me. Would rather go to a movie once a year.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Louisiana Downs

This about sums it up from The Bleacher Report with their piece on the winers and losers at the Breeder's Cup:

"I was seriously ready to reserve this slot for a horse that disappointed during the Classic ... but ... Kristen Chenoweth stood in the winner's circle and sang The Best is Yet to Come.

For some folks, perhaps this was a charming warm up for the Breeders' Classic, the greatest race on American soil (yeah, take that Kentucky Derby!). It was irritating. It was, dare I say, out of place, disconcerting and unsettling.

All right, the subtext makes sense: The best is yet to come. I get it. The meaning of the song is implicit and the Classic is befitting of a song that tells it how it is. But when four guys in a hotel room simultaneously recoil at the sight of Chenoweth, that's a telling review. The only thing that bailed her out was the sun setting on the San Gabriel mountains."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-anita/page/11
Old 11-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
I hear you. It just doesn't do it for me. Would rather go to a movie once a year.
That's certainly the more fiscally prudent choice. It's much less infuriating to spend $13 and hate something than $150.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
That was my problem, too- it's not the style of song she suits. She sounded like she was trying to punch it into submission. But I think NBC figured they'd better get someone people at home might recognize.
Yeah I'm guessing the name recognition was definitely part of it. They also probably didn't want to give American Idol press on NBC with Harry Connick Jr singing the song. He'd have been another obvious choice unless you're the network airing The Voice.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
Yeah I'm guessing the name recognition was definitely part of it. They also probably didn't want to give American Idol press on NBC with Harry Connick Jr singing the song. He'd have been another obvious choice unless you're the network airing The Voice.
Sigh. Remember the good old days of the 1970s, when, instead of forbidding any cross-exposure, ABC, CBS and NBC would join together and give us Battle of the Network Stars? Those were the days, my friend.