Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Delaware Park

Default Gettin' Up morning to run on Lasix

Nick Nolte's ultra impressive first time starter Gettin' Up Morning ran to expectations on Sunday at Santa Anita, winning by five lengths after breaking well behind the field. The tour de force was completed in near track record time of 1:07 3/5 over the glib Arcadia surface. Nolte did say that despite winning with ease, Gettin' Up Morning did bleed slightly and when he surfaces next, it will be with the addition of Lasix.

When questioned, Both Nolte, and attending veterinarian Dr. Jill Hennessy said that it was minor, and will be completely controlled with Lasix. Both Nolte and Hennessy bristled at the suggestion that the use of race day medication such as lasix should be banned. Hennessy explained that it is a common medication that it both reported and regulated, and simply allows a horse to perform to it's potential. "The notion that it(Lasix) is a performance enhancer is ludicrous. It protects the horse from a common equine problem and allows them to perform TO their potential, NOT ABOVE it". She said. Nolte was somewhat less diplomatic in expressing his displeasure with the anti medication do-gooders, emphatically calling them something that is unprintable.

No matter your opinion on race day medication, quickly becoming a lightning rod issue, in fact the "third rail" of thoroughbred racing politics, be clear, Gettin' Up Morning is for real, and a legitimate contender on the Derby Trail.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Yes -- 1:07 3/5ths for six furlongs despite being left in the gate at the start and making up about 15 to 20 lengths in the final half mile.

It was almost certainly the greatest debut in the history of horse racing.

Jerry Brown of Thoro-Graph and Len Friedman of the Ragozin Sheets were most impressed with how wide he was on the far turn.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Ocala Mike

Default Gettin' Up morning to run on Lasix

I put him on my "watch list" with the comment, "Needs a real jockey (Gary Stevens?)."

Ocala Mike
Old 02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

I would ride Octavian's sister anyday. I'm not sure what the actual name of that actress is...but I loved her in Rome and she would make a fine mount.

She had no Irish accent...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ui4h0lYqg
Old 02-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Yes -- 1:07 3/5ths for six furlongs despite being left in the gate at the start and making up about 15 to 20 lengths in the final half mile.

It was almost certainly the greatest debut in the history of horse racing.

Jerry Brown of Thoro-Graph and Len Friedman of the Ragozin Sheets were most impressed with how wide he was on the far turn.
Sounds like David Milch came up with that incredible performance by combining Gilded Time's career debut at Hollywood Park with his track record performance second time out in the Sapling at Monmouth.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
I would ride Octavian's sister anyday. I'm not sure what the actual name of that actress is...but I loved her in Rome and she would make a fine mount.

She had no Irish accent...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ui4h0lYqg
Kerry Condon?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
The Curragh

She didn't break as bad but the race being at the same track and distance it reminded me of Princess Arabella's maiden win.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Sounds like David Milch came up with that incredible performance by combining Gilded Time's career debut at Hollywood Park with his track record performance second time out in the Sapling at Monmouth.
That's right -- Milch owned GT.

I think Gettin' Up Morning ran his 2nd quarter in 20 and change. Now that's turn-time right there.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Beach Luv View Post
She didn't break as bad but the race being at the same track and distance it reminded me of Princess Arabella's maiden win.
Indian Charlie loves Princess Arabella so she's probably going to prove as fragile as can be... but I'm not sure she's even one of the 10 best 3yo's in Baffert's operation.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Hollywood Park

Is the rising star a 2 or 3 yr old ? He kind of reminds one of Mayakovsky's debut when he broke the 5.5 F track record at Spa in ntr103.32 on opening day 2001. Ironically, Mike Tabor owned him and Tony Farina was aboard for his last race.

Last edited by richard : 02-21-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Belmont Park

Wow... when does Finger Lakes open?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Hollywood Park

Dunno. Waiting for the announcement too. Track opens in a couple of weeks weather permitting for works.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Indian Charlie loves Princess Arabella so she's probably going to prove as fragile as can be... but I'm not sure she's even one of the 10 best 3yo's in Baffert's operation.
True enough, though she lost a little luster in my eyes after the second start. I'd like to see her taken back some next time out.

By the way, speaking of fragile, whats the name of that El Prado (I think) filly you went all gaga over a few months ago? I honestly cannot remember the name of that filly. Has she run again?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Table Three Ten.

She won 2nd time out for the new barn. She's 2-for-2 now and she's entered in the Rachel Alexandra this weekend at FG.

After her maiden win and purchase she reportedly "got sick" and missed a few weeks of training. Her alw win was nothing to write home about, but it wasn't bad or anything.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 AM
Delaware Park

An easy winner second time out to remain undefeated. Lasix is obviously a performance enhancer and should be banned so horses can be compromised and bleed freely.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leader View Post
An easy winner second time out to remain undefeated. Lasix is obviously a performance enhancer and should be banned so horses can be compromised and bleed freely.
Pointing for the Western Derby where he's certain to face off against Pint O' Plain.

ML.. Have you resigned from TOBA yet?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leader View Post
Setting a track record no less. 1:32 3/5 !
Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Only won an entry level alw race by about 5 after a clean break. Track was probably souped up that day.

It will be interesting to see if they stick with such a low profile jock for much longer -- she moved her tack to ride at Portland Meadows earlier in the meet.

Pint O' Plain couldn't warm up Gettin' Up Morning. I wasn't very impressed at all with his US debut...but he was reportedly cut-up pretty good at some point during the race. I think his future will be on grass.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

When asked about future plans for the budding superstar, Gettin'Up Morning's trainer was quoted as saying, "Err brr mrphw. Rrr gbrrph mrrr. Hrph."