Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2006, 07:21 PM
The Curragh

Default Honest opinions concerning paying for info here....

I take a good bit of the blame for helping create this "firestorm' that is selling picks. First, toss out your pre-conceived notions about me and my past. I'll go on the record here and now and leave this alone. I don't like it, at least on this site. Why, one might ask. Because I feel it is not appropriate from a marketing perspective. Let me expand for a moment and that is all -

I have a new site and am rolling it off the shelf. Things are taking off. Many, many new members, and many of those are posting on the forum, i.e., chat room (mind you I am not talking about a new site by me but rather this site). Now, this is my angle -

Joe blow come to find this site and starts reading. Suddenly, he comes upon the "pay for picks / info link. So he jumps aboard. Suddenly, he realizes that the person who is posting this info is also a regular on the forum / chat room on this board. Two possibilities exist at this point -

1 - This new customer (reader / poster) of the board discovers success thru the information that is provided by such individual at a certain dollar amount. All is well and no question word of mouth will do nothing but help propel the board to new levels of success as well as the person who is posting the info for sale.

2 - This is the "potential" problem in my professional opinion. The above new customer (member / poster) shells out the "amount" required to receive the above mentioned information by a certain individual and does not receive the expected results. So, this new customer takes his business someplace else in frustration.

It is a potential no win. This is a great site with so much potential and it does not need someone who has no people skills via the keyboard to turn away customers but rather a great forum for folks to discuss what they love and brought them here in the first place, Horse Racing. Mike is very brash on the keyboard and if he wishes to pursue his dream of selling his information I for one hope he does it not at Steve's potential expense.

Only your unbiased opinions and don't let my past posts on here and ESPN cloud your response. I don't want Steve to allow this in one way or the other, either a link or a first person endorsement. Just my thoughts. Yours?
Old 06-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Saratoga

Curt, will you just let sleeping dogs lie and knock it off. THERE WILL NEVER BE SOMEONE SELLING THERE PICKS ON HERE, I am sure Steve has told you this via PM....And it is a free F'n country, I don't have to buy them, neither do you. The message board is still going to be here.

Who gives a crap? What you still don't realize is that HOOVES was screwing around when he started that post, a JOKE.

Newsflash, when I am hot at the track, I tell my friends I am going to start selling them my picks, IN JEST or whatever the f'n word is.

Stop trying to cause more crap
Old 06-06-2006, 07:32 PM
The Curragh

Let me also just say I am not pointing the arrow at Mike but anyone who wants to sell info, on an individual basis.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Saratoga

How about I sell you a train ticket?
Old 06-06-2006, 07:35 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Curt, will you just let sleeping dogs lie and knock it off. THERE WILL NEVER BE SOMEONE SELLING THERE PICKS ON HERE, I am sure Steve has told you this via PM....And it is a free F'n country, I don't have to buy them, neither do you. The message board is still going to be here.

Who gives a crap? What you still don't realize is that HOOVES was screwing around when he started that post, a JOKE.

Newsflash, when I am hot at the track, I tell my friends I am going to start selling them my picks, IN JEST or whatever the f'n word is.

Stop trying to cause more crap
I am not trying to cause crap but rather an honest debate / conversation on this subject Tom. Which I feel holds some merit. This site is ready to take off and it is one that is time sensitive do you think not?
Old 06-06-2006, 07:38 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
I am not trying to cause crap but rather an honest debate / conversation on this subject Tom. Which I feel holds some merit. This site is ready to take off and it is one that is time sensitive do you think not?
listen sybil nothing you say holds merit.so save the drama for you momma..
Old 06-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
I really don't see your point, you say you're a friend of the board yet reading you posts here and elsewhere to me seems you're just starting crap.

At one point you say you have the utmost respect for Steve, however after exchanging emails you still bring this up here. Hard to have an honest conversation when a big part was through email and I'd guess 99% of us are wondering what the heck your agenda is.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:46 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.fager
I really don't see your point, you say you're a friend of the board yet reading you posts here and elsewhere to me seems you're just starting crap.

At one point you say you have the utmost respect for Steve, however after exchanging emails you still bring this up here. Hard to have an honest conversation when a big part was through email and I'd guess 99% of us are wondering what the heck your agenda is.
agenda - none

topic conversation and debate in a timely fashion today - dead on

problem is I should have known better cause some would rather throw insults my way rather than some good honest conversation
Old 06-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
No I don't. You are trying to cause problems when this issue has slowly gone away....Fact is this, Is this your website? if the answer is yes, you can do whatever you want. You could put a horse mounting a mare on the front cover and tell people they have to pay to see it. You could put me f'n naked on the front with a DRF and say "Got winners"

it isn't your site, I am sure steve will take recommendations and such, but all you are doing is causing problems, knock it off
Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
No I don't. You are trying to cause problems when this issue has slowly gone away....Fact is this, Is this your website? if the answer is yes, you can do whatever you want. You could put a horse mounting a mare on the front cover and tell people they have to pay to see it. You could put me f'n naked on the front with a DRF and say "Got winners"

it isn't your site, I am sure steve will take recommendations and such, but all you are doing is causing problems, knock it off
Tom, not causing problems but rather opening up a line of conversation. If someone other then me had posted the same thread would you respond the same way?

I know what Steve said. I read it. Why would I DISRESPECT HIM TOM IN THIS WAY? Get a reality grip brother, no disrespect. I am opening up a line of communication and debate, not looking for trouble. You are stirring the pot for a change.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 PM

a.talk about anything else
b. talk about anything else
c..professional opinion...you walked into a job and asked for vacation the first day..
cwhen you burn bridges the water gets a little deep...
get it ....
Old 06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Saratoga

I am not even responding to this anymore...I REALLY wish there was an ignore feature on here....
Old 06-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Saratoga

Default For the record

Steve, I will pose nude with a DRF with the caption "Got Winners?" for the good of the team, if needed
Old 06-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Dee Tee Stables

seems there is an echo in here.

echo echo echo

or you could say, same song, second (thousandth?) verse....
Old 06-06-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Tom, not causing problems but rather opening up a line of conversation. If someone other then me had posted the same thread would you respond the same way?

I . Why would I DISRESPECT HIM TOM IN THIS WAY? , You are stirring the pot for a change.

you have got to be the dumbest person ive ever read on a message board..you already did when you went on the other board ...you need to be banned..working out the ol elbow again otis...dude thats your new name otis the drunk....from mayberry...lmfao...
Old 06-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Ellis Park

If someone could document his wins and loses on a daily basis and be a winner over a 60 day period I would buy his/her picks. None of this all over the place stuff though. Just the plays, how much and how much was won or lost.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:04 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
you have got to be the dumbest person ive ever read on a message board..you already did when you went on the other board ...you need to be banned..working out the ol elbow again otis...dude thats your new name otis the drunk....from mayberry...lmfao...
and your posts are very well written and well thought out every time. thanks for your insight and honest opinions. I have yet to see you post a thread that showed some intelligence, i.e. a grasp of the english language. oh look at me, I have fallen to your level. my bag hooves.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Let it go Curt, Kasept has probably forgotten more about marketing than any of us will ever know...

I would never buy a tip sheet or pay for picks, but I would pay for information like trip notes, workout reports, or bias. This is a service that someone is providing either Hooves or Oracle, have worked hard to get that info, while I am friendly with them on the board and respect their knowledge and I am like a sponge trying to soak up everything I can, they owe me nothing and if I think they are offering a service that offers value when I am going to be betting large sums(for me) of money, it's well worth it. I have no connections and don't have time to watch every race, so whatever edge I can get is well worth it. Again, it would be info, not picks. It's no different than when I buy Thorograph, if I am going big, I will pay for the extra edge. This Saturday, I am going balls out(for me), we have $2 grand in the pot and we'll use every bit of it if we have to.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

2min:

What gives with you acting like some diplomatic "opening lines of communication" gentleman one day, and then acting like some belligerent redneck the next.

The reason people don't take you seriously is because you act like a woman. One minute you are gravely serious and trying to be thoughtful, and the next you are a raging incoherent imbecile.

Even it out, man.

I usually don't say anything when you come with this type of ****, but come on!! Straighten up.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:10 PM
The Curragh

Yup, I got caught up in the emotions. Sorry Steve if you read this. Name calling is no longer my game. My fault for responding to those who felt it necessary to attack.