Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-26-2013, 04:39 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings View Post
There is NOTHING good about a blimp view in the live race. 45% of last year's Breeders' Cup Mile was shown, LIVE, with a blimp. They might as well have been rats running, it was a disgrace and an insult to anyone watching, let alone betting.
But Pat its edgy and hip! And people who tune in for the purple carpet show like edgy and hip!
Actually showing it live like they did is really an epic fail on the directors part yet I'm sure they won a boatload of media eclipse awards for the coverage.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:42 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
You and me both. I enjoy dry humor and he's naturally quippy. He also knows the game and bets. If you don't use Kenny, you really need someone else to fill that niche and it helps if they already follow horse racing. Otherwise, it'll be a steep learning curve that bores anybody who bets. Not that I wouldn't watch And They're Off for Haskin alone, but I like Lenny trying to inject some humor.

I always felt Hank's main issue was feeling comfortable enough on camera to breathe properly. He seemed to be holding in air and trying to get as much out as possible, forgetting to breathe out normally. It's a pure nerves issue, probably based on the fact that it was usually a live piece. I've been there done that myself, and it's so agonizing because thinking about it makes it worse. The commentary is not the easiest to sit through as a result, but I enjoy him as a person, and like that he puts his money where his mouth is. Hank's kind of a mascot.
I don't know if Hank had nerve issues but he isn't exactly a paradigm of health. He might just be that close to croaking.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Fairgrounds

NBC wouldn't posibly hide from the tragic Pointsoffthebench story today I hope? He and his connections need to get their due on national tv even if it fuels the fire for animal cruelty crazies and a naive public. I'm just hoping NBC doesn't get scared of the possible reaction from a naive public and hide from it. Do the right thing and tell the story from beiginning to end NBC
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 10-26-2013, 01:04 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr View Post
NBC wouldn't posibly hide from the tragic Pointsoffthebench story today I hope? He and his connections need to get their due on national tv even if it fuels the fire for animal cruelty crazies and a naive public. I'm just hoping NBC doesn't get scared of the possible reaction from a naive public and hide from it. Do the right thing and tell the story from beiginning to end NBC
im sure they will talk about it..but your comments seem to be that they will not.in the end the pta crazed zombies will attack in some fashon..imo
Old 10-26-2013, 01:06 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
But Pat its edgy and hip! And people who tune in for the purple carpet show like edgy and hip!
Actually showing it live like they did is really an epic fail on the directors part yet I'm sure they won a boatload of media eclipse awards for the coverage.
i kind of like the euro ascot car view..
Old 10-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
I was one of those folks who liked Kenny Mayne doing horse racing.
Without him there would be no...

Een-vee-sor, he's da best!

LOVED Kenny Mayne.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr View Post
I'm sure it'll come up when they cover the Sprint (they may or may not mention Take Control before the Marathon, it's not like he was one of the favorites like Points Offthebench). As for the story, well he broke a leg so I'm sure there'll be a few sadly delivered sentences, but a package piece is doubtful. They tend to want to do those to make people more interested in the outcome of what's to come, not think about something that happened before. The people in the know who are sad about Points Offthebench are already going to be watching and the casual fans that stumble into it aren't gonna be more likely to stick around if they hear about it. Just a fact of television. I can't believe they'd skip over it entirely though if only because he was a top contender.