Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2007, 01:00 PM
Keeneland

Default Sumwon visit today

Of course I had to go say goodbye this morning, as Sumwon prepares to ship tomorrow afternoon for her late summer home at the Spa. I was kinda hoping the Ledgers would be there, but not this morning.

First, Brass Hat went out at the same time ("I got to see Brass Hat!") - boy, he looks good, guys. I was standing behind who I believe his trainer as he worked (I don't know what Buff Bradley looks like, could ask Chuck if that was him) - DRF lists Brass Hat as 5f in 59.8, and the trainer clocked him 4f in 47. He was smoking, easily! To give you an idea, the bullet on the listed works this am came in at 49.1. Geesh, this horse looks great!

Sumwonlovesyou looks great, too, and is feeling fine. While Cherie was tacking her up, she tried to get Sumwon to show how she would grab the back of Cherie's jeans, and pull her around the stall. No, she didn't do it for me

It was very busy on the track this morning. Cherie did her usual warmup routine down in the chute, then brought her out and let her gallop around. Chuck asked for something easy, just a little blowout in 50, which is just what was delivered. She came back feeling well and jaunty. This girl does love to run, and wants to go on. Cherie said she got all her lead changes readily and easily today.

Cherie and I were talking a bit about what Sumwon felt like galloping - Cherie said she's a little up and down and poundy until she's allowed to run on (which Sumwon wants to do), then she opens up, levels out, and is very smooth and comfortable.

Sumwon looks great when she moves out, big stride, a very smooth way of going - you can appreciate that on her Arlington replay. Compare her 2-year-old races at the Mountain, even her first CD race, to her current form when running - quite a difference. She's learned to be a race horse.

Cherie was recalling what Sumwon was like when she first arrived - "Whew, she was a handful!" Cherie has worked so hard with this horse. Just after the work Cherie left for New York, and I was very happy to hear Cherie will be at Saratoga, continuing to be Sumwon's exercise girl.

Note to GPK - I put in a good word for you with Cherie. You owe me

There has been such a change in this horse since Chuck acquired her for us and has been working with her. Sumwon just turned three April 4th, and is really maturing now. She's big, with well-developed muscles. I stood up to her and measured her, she every bit of a full 16.2. Chuck guessed she might weigh out at 1100 now.

Certainly she filled out and gained weight once she had a month under Chuck's care last spring, but now her chest has dropped and widened, and she has a powerful, gorgeous hind end. Look at her Arlington "down the stretch" picture and you can see how much bigger, wider and filled-out she is compared to the other two fillies.

After her bath, I ate two peppermints, and Sum got two. I think Chuck is going to make some house rules for daily peppermint ingestion limits at the Spa

Chuck is all in "Saratoga mode". He got barn info at SAR this morning, and I imagine he'll post that for everyone.

Wait until the "eastern" partners get to see your filly in person - she's impressive!

That's all I got. Goodbye from Kentucky, Sumwon, travel safe!
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Woodbine

Thanks, Riot. Can't tell you how much I appreciate your reports. It really makes this experience even more enjoyable.

Also, it helps me appreciate even more the work of Chuck and crew (especially Cherie). I've heard trainers say that the secret of their success was having good workers but now I can see, concretely, just how that's so.

And seeing Brass Hat work...lucky you!
Old 07-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Newmarket

Thanks for the post, Beth... you won't be heading to the Spa?

I'll be sure to get you a program for her August 5th date and take some photos.

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 07-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
Thanks for the post, Beth... you won't be heading to the Spa?

I'll be sure to get you a program for her August 5th date and take some photos.

At this time I definitely cannot make August 5th if the race goes, but may come up opening day, or for a week after the 5th.

PS thanks Shadow. Can't wait to hear of Sumwon's Tales from the Spa!
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-21-2007, 02:09 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Of course I had to go say goodbye this morning, as Sumwon prepares to ship tomorrow afternoon for her late summer home at the Spa. I was kinda hoping the Ledgers would be there, but not this morning.

First, Brass Hat went out at the same time ("I got to see Brass Hat!") - boy, he looks good, guys. I was standing behind who I believe his trainer as he worked (I don't know what Buff Bradley looks like, could ask Chuck if that was him) - DRF lists Brass Hat as 5f in 59.8, and the trainer clocked him 4f in 47. He was smoking, easily! To give you an idea, the bullet on the listed works this am came in at 49.1. Geesh, this horse looks great!

Sumwonlovesyou looks great, too, and is feeling fine. While Cherie was tacking her up, she tried to get Sumwon to show how she would grab the back of Cherie's jeans, and pull her around the stall. No, she didn't do it for me

It was very busy on the track this morning. Cherie did her usual warmup routine down in the chute, then brought her out and let her gallop around. Chuck asked for something easy, just a little blowout in 50, which is just what was delivered. She came back feeling well and jaunty. This girl does love to run, and wants to go on. Cherie said she got all her lead changes readily and easily today.

Cherie and I were talking a bit about what Sumwon felt like galloping - Cherie said she's a little up and down and poundy until she's allowed to run on (which Sumwon wants to do), then she opens up, levels out, and is very smooth and comfortable.

Sumwon looks great when she moves out, big stride, a very smooth way of going - you can appreciate that on her Arlington replay. Compare her 2-year-old races at the Mountain, even her first CD race, to her current form when running - quite a difference. She's learned to be a race horse.

Cherie was recalling what Sumwon was like when she first arrived - "Whew, she was a handful!" Cherie has worked so hard with this horse. Just after the work Cherie left for New York, and I was very happy to hear Cherie will be at Saratoga, continuing to be Sumwon's exercise girl.

Note to GPK - I put in a good word for you with Cherie. You owe me

There has been such a change in this horse since Chuck acquired her for us and has been working with her. Sumwon just turned three April 4th, and is really maturing now. She's big, with well-developed muscles. I stood up to her and measured her, she every bit of a full 16.2. Chuck guessed she might weigh out at 1100 now.

Certainly she filled out and gained weight once she had a month under Chuck's care last spring, but now her chest has dropped and widened, and she has a powerful, gorgeous hind end. Look at her Arlington "down the stretch" picture and you can see how much bigger, wider and filled-out she is compared to the other two fillies.

After her bath, I ate two peppermints, and Sum got two. I think Chuck is going to make some house rules for daily peppermint ingestion limits at the Spa

Chuck is all in "Saratoga mode". He got barn info at SAR this morning, and I imagine he'll post that for everyone.

Wait until the "eastern" partners get to see your filly in person - she's impressive!

That's all I got. Goodbye from Kentucky, Sumwon, travel safe!
Thanks for all the Kentucky reports! Much appreciated.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Golden Gate

Thumbs up

Quote:

At this time I definitely cannot make August 5th if the race goes, but may come up opening day, or for a week after the 5th.

Riot,

Let me know if you'll be around at all between the 11th and 18th. We have a group that will have a few tables in the Festival Tent for most of that week. The rest of the time we will probably have tables in the Carolina Barbeque area.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Del Mar

Thanks Beth, field reporter.

Noce recap...you've must have learned from Steve.

Spyder
Old 07-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
Riot,

Let me know if you'll be around at all between the 11th and 18th. We have a group that will have a few tables in the Festival Tent for most of that week. The rest of the time we will probably have tables in the Carolina Barbeque area.
Thanks, if I can be there, I'll find you!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder
Thanks Beth, field reporter.

Noce recap...you've must have learned from Steve.

Spyder
Thanks, but not even remotely close to our fearless leader Steve Re-reading his summaries of Sumwon's races, it's almost more exciting than being there!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Saratoga

Thank you for the info. As one of the east coast partners, this makes me even more excited to see her in person for the first time. Can't wait for 8/5!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:42 AM
Lincoln Fields

thank you for a very nice report on the farewell visit, looking back at all the updates and photos from everyone who got to see her starting from FGNO, KEE, CD, then AP, it's been quite a ride so far - cant help but be a little sentimental yet excited knowing this is her last night (now morning lol) in Louisville...

Glad Sumwon got some send-off peppermints to tide her over for the van ride to Saratoga - think anyone's told her where she's headed or is it going to be a big surprise ???? safe travels to our girl and all the barn connections - fingers crossed for decent weather and GOOD drivers!!
Old 07-22-2007, 07:07 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:

thanks for ALL you great reports! the move east will be toughest for you because you got to spend the most time with her.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Newmarket

Hopefully we can get a photo of all the Dee Tee group in attendence on August 5th, it will be great meeting everyone in person and attaching the "names" with the "faces".

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 07-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Dee Tee Stables

got in late yesterday evening...glad to see that sumwon is doing fine. hope she--and everyone in chucks stable--has a safe trip to saratoga.

the dee tee stable trail ride continues! hope that everyone on the east coast gets an opportunity to see her. and of course maybe some icing on this fantastic cake, a win photo.

can you guys believe it? our venture is taking us to one of the grandest tracks in the world!!

safe trip guys!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Keeneland

Steve will be at Saratoga Monday - Steve, can you post an update after your show, after she arrives?

I think Sumwon will love Saratoga. It's too hot here in KY in the summer (although it's been mild lately). The smell of the pines, the cooler weather ... better than living in the city at Churchill. Plus, she's a smart horse, I think she'll enjoy a change of scenery.

She might develop a crush on one of those big, rawboned steeplechase horses she'll be stabled near