Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-07-2007, 04:44 AM
The Curragh

Default She was a great filly......

Stack filly Alexander Tango killed in freak accident

by Tony O'Hehir

ALEXANDER TANGO, winner of the Grade 1 Garden City Stakes at Belmont Park on September 8 for trainer Tommy Stack, has been killed in a freak accident while in quarantine in Kentucky.

Fozzy Stack, son of the filly's trainer, said Tuesday: "The accident happened during the night. The filly was out in a paddock at Woods Edge Farm, which is owned by Paul O'Callaghan, a nephew of Alexander Tango's owner, Noel O'Callaghan, when something frightened her and she jumped rails, fatally injuring herself."

Stack added: "It is a shame, as she was such a good filly, and we were all looking forward to racing her again next year."

Alexander Tango, a daughter of Danehill Dancer, won four of her 12 starts.

She won over 7f at the Curragh in 2006 before enjoying a successful three-year-old campaign, during which she landed the Group 3 Derrinstown Stud 1,000 Guineas over 1m at Leopardstown, the Listed Kilboy Estates Stakes over 1m1f at the Curragh, and the aforementioned Grade 1 over 1m1f in the US.

On what proved tobe her final start, she finished seventh of nine in the Grade 1 Flower Bowl Invitational Stakes over 1m2f, also at Belmont, three weeks after her career-best success at the same track.

Rest In Peace, good girl.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 11-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Jerome Park

It's a brutal game and really a shame she died but her sad demise doesn't elevate her talent.

She was not a " great " filly.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:31 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
It's a brutal game and really a shame she died but her sad demise doesn't elevate her talent.

EXACTLY!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 AM
The Curragh

She was a fav of mine, we are all allowed our own opinions.

She was still improving and could have been anything, especially on her favoured firm turf, which she rarely got over here.

If i want to call her "great", i will do so.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:25 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:

I like to think that my death WILL elevate my talent.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Calder Race Course

I can see the tombstone now...

R.I.P. Justin Dew.. He was a GREAT handicapper and a GREATER poster.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfla
I can see the tombstone now...

R.I.P. Justin Dew.. He was a GREAT handicapper and a GREATER poster.
More like:

"He was a decent handicapper, moderate poster, and fantastic blogger."

Remember, we're elevating here.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Goodwood

I think your tombstone should read:

"Here lies the real Justin Dew"
Old 11-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Keeneland

Quote:

I want you to give my eulogy
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 11-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Quote:

I better not disagree.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Saratoga

Individuals.... people, horses, whatever, shouldn't be neatly compartmentalized and assigned little names and titles. It's not all black and white.

Whether or not she was a great horse is a matter of opinion, but.....

But.....

Does it really matter?

If someone, anyone, feels the need to express their heartbreak why must others take it upon themselves to worsen their spirits? This is what i don't understand.

I've encountered this kind of attitude too..... it's something i don't get.

Alexander Tango was only three. She had won her first race, beating a field of 12, and went on to beat some very nice horses home including Trinity College, Championship Point, and of course the girls of the Garden City.

Her shocking and tragic death has left many people shaken. Why on earth do some feel a need to comment or correct someone who is obviously upset?

Run in peace, Alexander. Great is only a word that doesn't really matter. Some of us will remember you and are thankful we had the chance to witness your short time on this earth.

I'm sorry for her connections and her fans, and for you No Chance cause i know how much you liked her.

About a month ago i was thinking of Hendrix, seeing him in my mind all alone while (what seemed like) thousands converged on Rock Hard Ten, remembering a day from a couple of years ago.

I smiled. I finally thought of him and instead of bursting into tears i smiled.

He was so good. Calm, collected, the noise and crowds and chaos didn't phase him at all. He had a curious expression and that face... just remembering that face..... God I loved that horse.

She deserves to be remembered with a smile too. I hope you get to that point soon, No Chance.

It's been a hard couple of weeks with George leaving us and now this.....

Rest in peace.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:08 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

I believe no one here is disrespecting her death or anyone else's feeings toward her. The point is the term "Great" is thrown around too loosely today. Sorry but her four wins weren't huge enough to over come her other eight defeats. Nice but not great.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:02 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Individuals.... people, horses, whatever, shouldn't be neatly compartmentalized and assigned little names and titles. It's not all black and white.

Whether or not she was a great horse is a matter of opinion, but.....

But.....

Does it really matter?

If someone, anyone, feels the need to express their heartbreak why must others take it upon themselves to worsen their spirits? This is what i don't understand.

I've encountered this kind of attitude too..... it's something i don't get.

Alexander Tango was only three. She had won her first race, beating a field of 12, and went on to beat some very nice horses home including Trinity College, Championship Point, and of course the girls of the Garden City.

Her shocking and tragic death has left many people shaken. Why on earth do some feel a need to comment or correct someone who is obviously upset?

Run in peace, Alexander. Great is only a word that doesn't really matter. Some of us will remember you and are thankful we had the chance to witness your short time on this earth.

I'm sorry for her connections and her fans, and for you No Chance cause i know how much you liked her.

About a month ago i was thinking of Hendrix, seeing him in my mind all alone while (what seemed like) thousands converged on Rock Hard Ten, remembering a day from a couple of years ago.

I smiled. I finally thought of him and instead of bursting into tears i smiled.

He was so good. Calm, collected, the noise and crowds and chaos didn't phase him at all. He had a curious expression and that face... just remembering that face..... God I loved that horse.

She deserves to be remembered with a smile too. I hope you get to that point soon, No Chance.

It's been a hard couple of weeks with George leaving us and now this.....

Rest in peace.
Very well put which is what separates you from alot of others here. You really seem to put your heart into healing not being right. God Bless You
Old 11-08-2007, 02:25 AM
Santa Anita

Very well said MMSC!

Greatness is an extremely objective thing.

There are a couple of horses who were undeniably very good and had their careers cut short by injury (one of them by a tragic fatal paddock accident), and their performances on the track have stuck with me so much that I consider them two of the greatest horses I've ever seen, while many others hardly remember them at all.

(One of them, 1998 NZ Derby winner Zonda, led the field out for this year's race and galloped down the Ellerslie straight. It was the highlight of the year for me...people behind me asked "who's that horse?")

I think it's quite mean-spirited to try to correct someone posting a tribute to a horse they obviously thought a lot of soon after that horse's tragic death.

"She was a nice filly" hardly sounds like a fair tribute to me.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:58 AM
The Curragh

Thank you MMSC and Ed.

I always thought she was a class horse, and one who kept improving. If i want to call her great, i will do. I will NOT be stopped by anyone who tells me otherwise.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Saratoga

Ed and Doc... thanks, guys.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Individuals.... people, horses, whatever, shouldn't be neatly compartmentalized and assigned little names and titles. It's not all black and white. Whether or not she was a great horse is a matter of opinion, but.. Does it really matter?

If someone, anyone, feels the need to express their heartbreak why must others take it upon themselves to worsen their spirits? This is what i don't understand. I've encountered this kind of attitude too..... it's something i don't get.

Her shocking and tragic death has left many people shaken. Why on earth do some feel a need to comment or correct someone who is obviously upset? I'm sorry for her connections and her fans, and for you No Chance cause i know how much you liked her.
This is a community that is drawn here by horse racing.. Those that love it for its' gambling and competitive interests are going to clash with those that love it for their passion for the equine when it comes to defining racehorses' legacies. Period. Both are vital to the game and integral to this community.

If a horse like Tango was "great" to someone it's certainly OK, and everyone appreciates their love for the horse in question and their feelings of loss. But don't expect those with historical perspectives on performance, that define greatness with very specific results-oriented parameters, to accept it without question.

"Greatness" in racing has a rather distinct usage and definition. You're suggesting that those who don't agree with its' application have no right to express their opinion, and those that express it are implicitly correct because of the sentiment attached to it. That's going to be greeted timelessly with derision.

No one was ridiculing NCTD for loving Tango. They were questioning the merits of the filly being defined as great by her on-track performance. This is a difficult game to follow if you can't seperate the two sets of opinion and are overwhelmed by the unfortunate and frequently tragic passing of horses.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:52 PM
The Curragh

Is it ok that I think of my Great Grandfather as being my Great Grandfather....or should i consider him as just the father of my Grandfather???

jk....it's just my warped mind at play
Old 11-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept

"Greatness" in racing has a rather distinct usage and definition. You're suggesting that those who don't agree with its' application have no right to express their opinion, and those that express it are implicitly correct because of the sentiment attached to it. That's going to be greeted timelessly with derision.
It's not that i think they shouldn't express an opinion, it's when it seems one or two are being a little mean-spirited for no reason that it bothers me.

Whether or not it was mean-spirited is a fine line, but remembering certain comments on past threads? Yeah, I think it's intent was to be just the slightest bit rude.

I was slammed on the Super Frolic mattered thread and that's fine. I never went back to post on it... why bother? My intent was to simply say he mattered. I had my say so when the insults started flying i left it alone.

I don't go out of my way to post on things that i really have no interest in, just to be rude, like BTW's dunce cap thread. Why bother? We all pick winners and we all suck at times. I'm not gonna go and purposely throw that thread in his face. I'm mean but I'm not that mean.

It's under the surface (here) to me anyway.

If you didn't give a crap about this horse why post at all... you know?

That's the part I don't understand. Someone is feeling devasted..... it's just without class to throw something, some little comment in their face. That's all.

edit - Oh wait a minute, that's not the one I left alone.....

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 11-08-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Jerome Park

Default My Miss Storm Cat

Don't act all high and mighty. I said nothing personally nasty to you in the thread about Super Frolic yet you responded by making repeated personal attacks at me in other threads in this room. I don't care....it just shows others the kind of person you actually are. However, stop pretending you stand on some high moral plateau while others here wallow in the mud.

I liked Alexander Tango, and even had some of her connections sitting with me in the box for the Garden City, and was merely disagreeing with her being labelled great. And, quite obviously, I did so in a fair manner.