Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr View Post
question-
I was at work, so didn't watch any race on the card except for the replay of the Spiral. Was the track speed-favoring yesterday?

Nobody closed in the Spiral. I mean Artie and Asserting Bear kinda did, but they were close-up... Just wondering if the kickback ate up the closers or? I get as far as horse's potential on dirt there wasn't much in this field, but so many in here were eligible to move up on synth and it just seemed like "first to the front, wins" (Solitary Ranger the exception).

Just wondering if the connections of a lot of these may draw a line through the race and try again in 3 weeks either in the Bluegrass? Poker Player was originally pointed there anyway?
the track appeared fair to me
Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payson Dave View Post
Honor Code now off the Derby Trail with slight tear in upper hind suspensory per Mike Welsch
Tough break. But i never had the feeling he was on the Derby Trail..Behind the eight ball all winter..
Old 03-23-2014, 09:36 PM
Fairgrounds

it'll be very interesting to see who tries to come back in the Bluegrass and Ark Derby in 3 weeks from the Spiral and Ark Derby.

Gotta think Commish to the Ark Derby, right?

I kinda hope that Poker Player and Tamarando get one more chance in either the Bluegrass or Ark Derby, because no one closed in the Spiral yesterday. Were they inferior, or did the track play a certain way?
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 03-23-2014, 09:40 PM
Flemington

Quote:
it'll be very interesting to see who tries to come back in the Bluegrass and Ark Derby in 3 weeks from the Spiral and Ark Derby.

I kinda hope that Poker Player and Tamarando get one more chance in either the Bluegrass or Ark Derby, because no one closed in the Spiral yesterday. Were they inferior, or did the track play a certain way?
People closed. The 2 speeds finished 9th and 11th. Tamarando is just not very good, I mean he is supposed to out finish Artic Slope, right?
Old 03-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Fairgrounds

there were only 2 that closed- We Miss Artie and Asserting Bear, but they were close-up in a stalking position. Artie barely got there after hanging most of the lane, and Asserting Bear flattened out. But yeah with the speeds holding kinda inexplicable what happened to Solitary Ranger.

I thought going into the Spiral and Sunland Derby that a few were entered here to have a last chance in 3 weeks if their horses didn't do well enough to qualify. Now we wait and see who tries again from these races
Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Undoubtedly.. Time stands still when it comes to those late noms.
Just like the horses loading into the gate before the first race of the Rainbow 6?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:

Gotta think the connections would give him one more try after that bad start. I think he deserves it....
Old 03-24-2014, 06:48 PM
Jerome Park

For those interested. Horse Player Now's "Countdown To the Crown"

http://issuu.com/horseplayernow/docs/c2c_final_merge
Old 03-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by booner View Post
Gotta think the connections would give him one more try after that bad start. I think he deserves it....
I think this horse is live..kinda asking alot for 3 races plus shipping 3 times over the course of about a month though
Old 03-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz View Post
I think this horse is live..kinda asking alot for 3 races plus shipping 3 times over the course of about a month though
Live for what? A NW2L?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Steve Byk

Late nominations to the 2014 Triple Crown includes (with owner, trainer).

• Big Tire (Halo Farms/Mark Glatt)
• Charleymillionaire (Red Oak Stable/Gregory Sacco)
• Dance With Fate (Sharon Alesia, Bran Jam Stable and Ciaglia Racing LLC/Peter Eurton)
• Effinex (Tri-Bone Stable/David Smith)
• Fabulous Kid (K.K. Jayaraman and V. Devi Jayaraman/William Martin)
• Friends with K Mill (Neil Haymes, Dave Kenny and Wonderland Racing Stables/Doug O' Neill)
• Gaining Ground (Donald P. Ogden/Michael Wilson)
• Harry's Holiday (Skychai Racing LLC, Terry Raymond and Jana Wagner/ Mike Maker)
• Tonito M. (Triple M. Racing Group LLC, Jerry Hollendorfer)
• Twenty Percent (Neil Haymes, Dave Kenny and Wonderland Racing Stables/Doug O' Neill)
Old 03-25-2014, 12:43 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
People closed. The 2 speeds finished 9th and 11th. Tamarando is just not very good, I mean he is supposed to out finish Artic Slope, right?
also, if that's your stance on Tamarando, do you take a similar one for California Chrome? Tamarando has arguably come the closest to Cali Chrome lately
Old 03-25-2014, 12:51 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Don't horses just sometimes run clunkers? I mean really, I'm no big Tamarando fan, but that race was too bad to believe.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:57 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
Don't horses just sometimes run clunkers? I mean really, I'm no big Tamarando fan, but that race was too bad to believe.
totally agree, posted this in reply to Steve's ATR thread yesterday
Quote:
thank you for asking... yeah Catalano didn't seem to make excuses. He just said "we took our shot..." and will go back to the drawing board with something else. But I think there might've been some excuses/reasons to try again-

For me, since it seemed like no one closed in the Spiral, I just wonder if the track played a certain way or there was major kickback issues or something. I mean, were Tamarando and Poker Player really THAT inferior?

Artie closed, but he was close to the lead and actually hung pretty bad in the stretch before finally getting his nose down just in time. Asserting Bear also made a closing move, but was also close to the lead and flattened out badly.

That's why I wanna see another try from some of these in 3 weeks. I think honestly that's why a few of these were entered in this race and the Sunland Derby, to give them one more chance if things didn't work out in those races over the weekend, to have another chance 3 weeks later.

I'd also like to think that in the case of both Tamarando and Poker Player, that when they were asked for run, and neither responded, that the jocks took their foot off the gas pedal. Neither horse probably came out of the race all that worn out. So we'll see what happens in the next week or so.

The reason I care in the case of Poker Player, is he seems like he's bred to run all day on dirt, and Catalano has run him only on synth and turf races. I get a lot of that has to do with being based at Arlington and Keeneland. And to PP's credit, he's been a solid performer. I just really wanna see him get a shot to run on dirt.
The question is, what does Hollendorfer do with Tamarando? Probably won't have enough point so to qualify for the Derby. Do you try again in 3 weeks? Maybe even the SA Derby in 2 weeks if the Spiral didn't take much out of him? Train up and wait/see if there are defections? Even if he does have enough qualifying points, will Hollendorfer even bother entering him in the Derby?

But I'm with you, the horse has been so consistent, and the Spiral, even with a lot of the entrants being way better on synth than dirt, was not murderer's row. I wanna think this was just a bizarre bump in the road
Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
totally agree, posted this in reply to Steve's ATR thread yesterday

The question is, what does Hollendorfer do with Tamarando? Probably won't have enough point so to qualify for the Derby. Do you try again in 3 weeks? Maybe even the SA Derby in 2 weeks if the Spiral didn't take much out of him? Train up and wait/see if there are defections? Even if he does have enough qualifying points, will Hollendorfer even bother entering him in the Derby?

But I'm with you, the horse has been so consistent, and the Spiral, even with a lot of the entrants being way better on synth than dirt, was not murderer's row. I wanna think this was just a bizarre bump in the road
I would have to think the American Turf on Derby day is a possible spot
Old 03-25-2014, 02:46 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
Yes. I guess he ran a clunker, but he can still be not that good, right?
Old 03-25-2014, 02:48 AM
Flemington

Quote:
also, if that's your stance on Tamarando, do you take a similar one for California Chrome? Tamarando has arguably come the closest to Cali Chrome lately
Im not a fan of California Chrome at all. I dont think he will win the Santa Anita Derby and for him to be 5-1 in a Derby future is insane IMO. I would not bet him right now at 100-1 w/ someone elses money.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:51 AM
Fairgrounds

I don't think California Chrome will win the Santa Anita Derby either. I think Sherman didn't wanna enter him, but he knows an 8 week layoff into the Derby is too long. So he felt forced to. I'm not saying the race is just a paid workout for California Chrome, but I think if he gets into a pace duel or a battle in the stretch, I think Victor Espinoza will be instructed to not exert him too much here. The goal is May, not this race. So I think California Chrome loses for that reason. Theyre racing him to keep him sharp, but at the same time don't wanna use him up before the Derby.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Goodwood

So, in other words, we should all take the 5/1 on California Chrome?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Fairgrounds

lol no. He'd have to romp in the SA Derby to make 5/1 good value. Otherwise you'll get that on Derby Day anyway