Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Samm

Default My response to an ATRAB email

Someone wrote and basically said why are we making such a fuss over a horse when our kids are being killed everyday... This is how I feel....

With the death of Barbaro yesterday there has been a huge outpouring of emotion. This champion was loved by so many yet some question why. Why do we mourn a single horse when so many of our young soldiers around the world have met with tragic and untimely deaths? As a mother of soldiers and recently being very worried when a helicopter accident occurred on a Naval aircraft carrier on which my son-in-law was on or hearing of the deaths of soldiers my children knew. I think I am somewhat qualified to answer this question

As Americans we have always looked for something non related to what we are going thru to cling to. War Admiral and Seabiscuit are shining examples of this. Hardships, such as War, economic hardship and illnesses leave us longing for an escape. I can think of nothing more pure and majestic to cling to.

Recently I had the opportunity to see this up close and personal with Afleet Alex. Children who were dying and knew it wrote to him wanting to be a part of him. Parents, Grandparents and other family members would write to say how much Alex meant to them. The letters even came when one of the children had died… “Alex has another angel watching over him” they would say. Why write a horse? Isn’t their grief unbearable enough? Apparently not. For letter after letter they would write and I believe it was to make things more bearable! I am postitive it was the same with Barbaro. He like Alex stood for so much more than racing. They stood for courage, heart and strength. What we all are looking for. The courage to face our own adversities, The heart to go on when many others would quit and the strength to not only pull ourselves up but others as well. This is why we cling to them.

Thoroughbreds are the purest of atheletes. They don’t stay out late partying, get arrested or beat their wives. They are born to run and they love doing it. They do it because that is what God made them to do. They do it for us because we ask them to. We in turn care for them on a daily basis, making sure they have what they need even before we fulfill our own needs. Seven days a week, 365 days a year. Thru rain, sleet, snow and as we saw many times over storms that have taken many human lives. Christmas, New Years, Easter, the fourth of July.. all are just another day that we are there for our equines. Whether is be a low level claimer who can’t even support himself or a champion that carries an entire barn… we care for them all the same.

And so people have clung to Barbaro as they clung to other equines in the past. Their stories don’t even have to be real. Take Black Beauty, Spirit, Flicka or even Mr. Ed! They all gave us something to cling to. Now we cling to each other to get thru the passing of a wonderful champion in Barbaro and look to the future for another to help us cope with life and all it’s hardships. God Bless our equine hero’s young and old, rich and poor, healthy and sick. May we be as faithful to them as they have been to us.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm
God Bless our equine hero’s young and old, rich and poor, healthy and sick. May we be as faithful to them as they have been to us.
That was really lovely Samm, especially this last line. Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Fairgrounds

Samm,

Its a shame that there are people who aren't as compassionate as you are. Being ex-Navy, I feel for the parents, spouses, and families of our soldiers, whether they are Navy, Army, Marines, or any of they other service academies. They are all like a brother or sister to me.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Samm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar1966
Samm,

Its a shame that there are people who aren't as compassionate as you are. Being ex-Navy, I feel for the parents, spouses, and families of our soldiers, whether they are Navy, Army, Marines, or any of they other service academies. They are all like a brother or sister to me.
I know what you mean... every week I watch George Stephanopolis (spelling is probally not right) and tears roll down my face as all the names, ages and home towns are blazed across the screen. JJ says why do you do it when you know you get upset... I tell him "because I need to... I need to acknowledge what these kids have given us... their lives and to mourn in my own way for them and their families... for I could be one of them.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Hialeah Park

Samm,
Thank you for saying everything you've said.
You found words that I haven't been able to find.
Thanks.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:26 PM
The Curragh

Samm

Well put......no life is lost in vain if somebody cares and your thoughts prove my point!!!

DtDave
Old 01-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Santa Anita

What a beautiful response Samm. Thank you.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Havre de Grace

Well said Samm...thank you for the wonderful response.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i just don't understand the whole thought process of 'feel for a horse-therefore you don't feel for a human'. how does that go together? how does doing the one automatically exclude the other??

it doesn't.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
i just don't understand the whole thought process of 'feel for a horse-therefore you don't feel for a human'. how does that go together? how does doing the one automatically exclude the other??

it doesn't.
Wanted to say exactly the same sort of thing Z.
These sports guys on the radio here in San Antonio were making fun of the Barbaro thing (glue/horsemeat to the Arabs), acting like some jocks sitting at a bar and then they got wailed on by a bunch of call ins.

They responed with we got kids dying in Iraq dont give me this horse crap... The same crappy change the intent cop-out when ya get kicked in the tiny test es for saying something stupid I say.