Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
Couldn't the MWC pull an A10... and get 4 in...BYU, San Diego State, and Utah have all done enough haven't they?? Just let Wyoming run the table now!!
Yeah, they could, and I wouldn't be shocked at all. If NM had just beat Wyoming in the first round it would be a guaranteed four with a SD St-NM final.

So is St Mary's really playing at home against Eastern Washington to impress the committee? Whose idea was that? Go on the road and you have a chance of catching their attention.

Oh my god, overtime.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Flemington

please, nobody say I hope they play all night. I need some sleep.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Yeah, they could, and I wouldn't be shocked at all. If NM had just beat Wyoming in the first round it would be a guaranteed four with a SD St-NM final.

So is St Mary's really playing at home against Eastern Washington to impress the committee? Whose idea was that? Go on the road and you have a chance of catching their attention.

Oh my god, overtime.
That's a complete crock. I go to lots of Big Sky games and Eastern Washington was terrible. You have to finish top 6 out of 9 teams to qualify for the conference tourney and they couldn't even do that. Over 300 division 1 teams could win a home game against Eastern Washington. A home win against them should impress exactly noone.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
That's a complete crock. I go to lots of Big Sky games and Eastern Washington was terrible. You have to finish top 6 out of 9 teams to qualify for the conference tourney and they couldn't even do that. Over 300 division 1 teams could win a home game against Eastern Washington. A home win against them should impress exactly noone.
Yeah, if Mills were a senior and they wanted one last home game then I'd get it but that wasn't the case. If you want to impress the committee then go visit some crappy Big Sky team on the road and blow them out instead of hosting them.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Coach Pants

Usc +7
220/200
Old 03-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Usc +7
220/200
That's a steal, the only team more overrated than USC this year is UCLA.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Hialeah Park

Anyone know who these P10 announcers are? They were driving me nuts last night.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Randwyck

They had to find a team that had not met their limit of games played. They wanted to get mills some run with the team after coming back from his injury. They are not trying to impress anyone. They ended up being a game short so they scheduled this game last week. I don't see anything wrong with it. Why in the hell are you listening to the announcers, just mute the morons
Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy3481
They had to find a team that had not met their limit of games played. They wanted to get mills some run with the team after coming back from his injury. They are not trying to impress anyone. They ended up being a game short so they scheduled this game last week. I don't see anything wrong with it. Why in the hell are you listening to the announcers, just mute the morons
I know their options were limited but if they weren't doing it to impress anyone they could have called in anyone for a scrimmage. They chose to make it an official game to get the committees attention so it makes no sense to play a crappy team at home, their RPI will probably drop from this game. A road win might help it.

And I'm listening to these awful announcers cause the only place I can see the P10 tourney is on MSG+ which isn't in HD so if I'm going to know who the hell these crappy west coast players are I need to hear the announcers. Even in HD I'd need help with USC since they have no names on their jerseys.

Shocker, the terrible announcer just admitted he's a Louisiana boy.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

I don't think the Pac-10 guys are bad at all.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Coach Pants

I think the Pac-10 is pretty damn good this year.

Arizona State is gonna f.uck USC's corpse tomorrow night.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Friday update, with seed projections.
LOCKS
ACC: UNC, Duke, FSU, Clemson, Wake Forest, Boston College
Big East: Pitt, UConn, Louisville, Marquette, Villanova, Syracuse, West Virginia
Big Ten: Michigan State, Purdue, Illinois, Ohio State, Minnesota
Big XII: Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State
Pac-10: UCLA, Washington, Arizona St, Cal
SEC: LSU, Tennessee
Mountain West: Utah, BYU
A-10: Xavier, Dayton
Conference USA: Memphis
Horizon: Butler, CLEVELAND STATE
WCC: GONZAGA

So that's 38 teams in 11 conferences. If all of the conferences are won by teams in the above list, plus 20 conferences with an autobid but no lock, that leaves 7 spots open.

Changes Today:
* Minnesota moves to lock status as even with a loss in their game right now to MSU they are very likely still in.
* UNLV falls off the board and SDSU replaces them.
* Rhode Island falls out of contention.

ACC:
Maryland- Struggled with NC State but got a win they HAD to have. Beat Wake today and I think they move to the right side. Lose and they're still OUT

Virginia Tech- 18-13 overall, 8-9 in the ACC, 2-8 against the RPI top 50, and 6-11 against the RPI top 100 after the Miami win. That's still a tough sell. OUT, but moving in the right direction. Needs to beat UNC (winning at the moment)

Big East:

Big Ten:
Wisconsin- Keeping them here but barring a disastrous performance against Ohio State today in the Big Ten tournament they should be fine. Their resume doesn't scream success, however. IN
Michigan- Beat Iowa in the first round, they are IN. 6-9 against the top 50 and 10-11 against the top 100, even if the road record blows.
Penn State- Beat Illinois 2X, MSU, and split with Purdue, Minny & Michigan, is that enough with that horrific nonconference schedule?? Not right now... but very close. Another win over Purdue would do it. OUT

Big XII:

Pac-10:
Arizona- Loses to rival ASU and probably keeps them OUT of the first time in 25 years.

SEC:
South Carolina- No bad losses but no real good wins either. The 10-6 record in the SEC is extremely hollow, but it's still a precedent- no SEC team has ever missed the tournament with a 10-6 league record that I can ever remember. Should be IN barring a horrific loss to either Georgia or Mississippi State in the SEC quarters.
Florida- They move back into the picture because everyone else sucks. That Washington win is looking better and better. Took care of Arkansas, next up Auburn, winner probably IN, loser OUT. The 24-10 record would be tough to ignore.
Auburn- Been trying to avoid putting them up here but they keep trying to prove me wrong. Still a ways to go but they also have the 10-6 SEC record and essentially a play-in game with Florida. OUT, for now.

Mountain West:
SDSU- Probably locks up a bid by sweeping 3 games from the Rebels to go with their otherwise OK resume. Beating BYU would be a bonus and assure their bid but I think they're in pretty good shape. IN

New Mexico- 12-4 in a tough conference is tough to ignore but man have they flown under the radar. I think they are just OUT at this point. There will be a lot of sweating in Albequerque this weekend.

Missouri Valley:
Creighton- if they had won the Illinois State game in the semis they would have locked up a bid but now they have to sweat. I think they're on the right side of the bubble right now with their 9-5 record against the top 100 and sharing the league title with UNI but certainly are playing with fire. IN

Others:
Rhode Island took a loss they really couldn't afford on Saturday against UMass and finished the job against Duqusne. Temple stays in the picture by routing St Joes. Right now, I'd give the slot to St. Mary's, because I'm convinced they are worthy with a healthy Patty Mills and they have one shot more to prove he's healthy. Their resume is awfully thin, however, and are my last team in right now.

Seeds
1: UNC*, Pitt, UConn, Louisville*
2: Memphis*, Michigan State*, Kansas, Duke
3: Oklahoma, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Villanova
4: Washington*, Missouri*, West Virginia, Xavier*
5: Purdue, UCLA, Gonzaga*, Florida State
6: LSU*, Clemson, Arizona State, Marquette
7: Illinois, Utah*, Tennessee, Butler
8: BYU, Texas, Oklahoma State, Cal
9: Dayton, Texas A&M, Boston College, Minnesota
10: Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, Siena*
11: South Carolina, Creighton, SDSU, VCU*
12: St. Mary's, Cleveland St*, Western Kentucky*, Utah St*
13: Florida(Auburn), UNI*, American*, North Dakota St*
14: Buffalo/MAC*, SFA/Southland*, Binghamton/AE*, Radford*
15: Robert Morris*, Portland St*, Cornell*, East Tenn St*
16: Chattanooga*, Big West*, Morehead St*, SWAC*, MEAC*
Saturday Morning update, with seed projections.
LOCKS
ACC: UNC, Duke, FSU, Clemson, Wake Forest, Boston College
Big East: Pitt, UConn, Louisville, Marquette, Villanova, Syracuse, West Virginia
Big Ten: Michigan State, Purdue, Illinois, Ohio State, Minnesota
Big XII: Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State
Pac-10: UCLA, Washington, Arizona St, Cal
SEC: LSU, Tennessee
Mountain West: Utah, BYU
A-10: Xavier, Dayton, Temple/Duquesne
Conference USA: Memphis
Horizon: Butler, CLEVELAND STATE
WCC: GONZAGA

So that's 39 teams in 11 conferences. If all of the conferences are won by teams in the above list, plus 20 conferences with an autobid but no lock, that leaves 6 spots open.

Changes Today:
* Maryland replaces South Carolina after stepping up and beating Wake while SC loses to Mississippi State.
* Florida falls off the board losing to Auburn.
* Virginia Tech falls off the board losing a heartbreaker to UNC.
* Bid in the A-10 gets stolen as Xavier and Dayton both go down in the semis.

ACC:
Maryland- Struggled with NC State but got a win they HAD to have. Beat Wake and I think they move to the right side. IN

Big East:

Big Ten:
Wisconsin- Keeping them here but barring a disastrous performance against Ohio State today in the Big Ten tournament they should be fine. Their resume doesn't scream success, however. IN
Michigan- Beat Iowa in the first round, they are IN. 6-9 against the top 50 and 10-11 against the top 100, even if the road record blows.
Penn State- Beat Illinois 2X, MSU, and split with Purdue, Minny & Michigan, is that enough with that horrific nonconference schedule?? Not right now... but very close. Another win over Purdue would do it. OUT

Big XII:

Pac-10:
Arizona- Loses to rival ASU and probably keeps them OUT of the first time in 25 years. Their resume is still pretty strong even with all the losses though, my last team out.

SEC:
South Carolina- took a loss they could not afford in the quarterfinals of the SEC. OUT

Auburn- Been trying to avoid putting them up here but they keep trying to prove me wrong. They have the 10-6 SEC record and won essentially a play-in game with Florida. OUT, for now, my 2nd last team out.

Mountain West:
SDSU- Probably locks up a bid by sweeping 3 games from the Rebels to go with their otherwise OK resume. Beating BYU would be a bonus and assure their bid but I think they're in pretty good shape. IN

New Mexico- 12-4 in a tough conference is tough to ignore but man have they flown under the radar. I think they are just OUT at this point. There will be a lot of sweating in Albequerque this weekend.

Missouri Valley:
Creighton- if they had won the Illinois State game in the semis they would have locked up a bid but now they have to sweat. I think they're on the right side of the bubble right now with their 9-5 record against the top 100 and sharing the league title with UNI but certainly are playing with fire. IN

Others:
Rhode Island took a loss they really couldn't afford on Saturday against UMass and finished the job against Duqusne. Temple stays in the picture by routing St Joes. Right now, I'd give the slot to St. Mary's, because I'm convinced they are worthy with a healthy Patty Mills and they have one shot more to prove he's healthy. Their resume is awfully thin, however, and are my last team in right now.

Seeds
1: UNC*, Pitt, UConn, Louisville*
2: Memphis*, Michigan State*, Kansas, Duke
3: Oklahoma, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Villanova
4: Washington*, Missouri*, West Virginia, Xavier
5: Purdue, UCLA, Gonzaga*, Florida State
6: LSU*, Clemson, Arizona State, Marquette
7: Illinois, Utah*, Tennessee, Butler
8: BYU, Texas, Oklahoma State, Cal
9: Dayton, Texas A&M, Boston College, Minnesota
10: Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, Siena*
11: Maryland, Creighton, SDSU, VCU*
12: St. Mary's, Cleveland St*, Western Kentucky*, Utah St*
13: Temple/Duquesne*, UNI*, American*, North Dakota St*
14: Buffalo/MAC*, SFA/Southland*, Binghamton/AE*, Radford*
15: Robert Morris*, Portland St*, Cornell*, East Tenn St*
16: Chattanooga*, Big West*, Morehead St*, SWAC*, MEAC*
Old 03-14-2009, 12:12 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
I know their options were limited but if they weren't doing it to impress anyone they could have called in anyone for a scrimmage. They chose to make it an official game to get the committees attention so it makes no sense to play a crappy team at home, their RPI will probably drop from this game. A road win might help it.

And I'm listening to these awful announcers cause the only place I can see the P10 tourney is on MSG+ which isn't in HD so if I'm going to know who the hell these crappy west coast players are I need to hear the announcers. Even in HD I'd need help with USC since they have no names on their jerseys.

Shocker, the terrible announcer just admitted he's a Louisiana boy.
The refs let that game go. They were not even watching
off the ball. And on the ball they allowed big time contact.
Both those teams (USC and UCLA) play very hard man defense
and in combination with the refs, we witnessed a football game.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:10 PM
pgardn

This has become totally nuts.
NC loses. MIch St. loses.
LSU loses.
Guess no one really cares about seeding.

I wonder if there is any chance Memphis gets a #1 seed.
I dont think they deserve it, but...

Last edited by pgardn : 03-14-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
This has become totally nuts.
NC loses. MIch St. loses.
LSU loses.
Guess no one really cares about seeding.

I wonder if there is any chance Memphis gets a #1 seed.
I dont think the deserve it, but...
The 1-seeds are pretty much locked up right now as Pittsburgh, Connecticut, Louisville and North Carolina. Memphis will be a high 2, followed by Oklahoma, Michigan State and Duke.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:04 PM
The Curragh

Hey Joey,

You watch a lot more college b-ball then most so I am interested in your thoughts on these teams -

I've watched a ton of Louisville games this year and they are my winner in my bracket hands down, not too mention my favorite team for a couple years

Ohio State, the local team, is kinda scary do you agree

Memphis, your thoughts
Old 03-14-2009, 06:08 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
The 1-seeds are pretty much locked up right now as Pittsburgh, Connecticut, Louisville and North Carolina. Memphis will be a high 2, followed by Oklahoma, Michigan State and Duke.
Yeps... This looks most probable.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:40 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

way to go fsu..knock off unc...i told you they were gonna upset..
Old 03-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Flemington

Holy Sh!t, how did Ongenaet get up after that?
Old 03-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Goodwood

Watching the MAC final. Both these teams are terrible. I can't believe how far the MAC has fallen- when I was in college that league was near the top of mid-majors. A real shame.