Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Suffolk Downs

Default Hollywood Cushion

Don't know if you guys have been discussing this, but I think this track is representing itself fairly well early in the meet. I've seen an equal amount of horses winning from the lead, stalking, and closing, and there seems to be no path bias as well. Pedigree doesn't seem to be an issue, either, as far as I have noticed. So, while several are disgusted at the Keeneland meet and Polytrack, perhaps it is just the PolyCrap brand.. I have had the opportunity to feel all four brands and I came to the conclusion that Polytrack was the worst. I don't have a problem with synthetic surfaces if they are a true DIRT substitute, which Polytrack clearly is not. What do the rest of you think?

-Ryan
Old 11-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Santa Anita

Synthetics are safer. That's the main thing. They are showing they can be tweeked to maintain their safety and provide a little harder or softer surface. Hollywood sounds like Turfway in that there is no bias. The new surfaces will just get better and better as the engineers perfect them.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:21 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

just dont add water
Old 11-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Santa Anita

i know it never rains in southern cali but i wonder how that hollywood surface will play if it rains...
Old 11-08-2006, 07:28 PM
eurobounce

I havent followed Hollywood this meet. I guess things are going well.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Golden Gate

Default That Was My Impression As Well

Hollywood horses are getting the lead and holding, not collapsing in the last 16th. I rarely saw a Keeneland horse or horses on the lead at the 2nd call that could hold on..... I feel a lot more confident capping HOL and have had reasonable results. Keeneland was just "what????"

Chris
Old 11-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charismatic1
Don't know if you guys have been discussing this, but I think this track is representing itself fairly well early in the meet. I've seen an equal amount of horses winning from the lead, stalking, and closing, and there seems to be no path bias as well. Pedigree doesn't seem to be an issue, either, as far as I have noticed. So, while several are disgusted at the Keeneland meet and Polytrack, perhaps it is just the PolyCrap brand.. I have had the opportunity to feel all four brands and I came to the conclusion that Polytrack was the worst. I don't have a problem with synthetic surfaces if they are a true DIRT substitute, which Polytrack clearly is not. What do the rest of you think?

-Ryan
I don't have a huge sample to base this on, and I haven't been watching much HOL racing, but I get the feeling that you're dead on with this.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Santa Anita

The Keeneland speed held to the extent that they finished 2nd or 3rd frequently. But not 1st, those came from off the pace.