Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2021, 07:16 PM
Keeneland

Default Harvey Pack, NY Legend, Passed at 94

https://www.drf.com/news/harvey-pack...nality-dead-94

As a kid growing up Thoroughbred Action was must see TV and his patented “may the horse be with you” program toss was iconic. As I said to a friend earlier, best way to tell how beloved he truly was is you never saw a bad thing said about him online.

Condolences to his friends and family.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:18 AM
Steve Byk

The first Harvey Pack mention that I could find via Newspapers.com was this perfect 1964 item from legendary New York Post gossip columnist Leonard Lyons ~ sire of film critic Jeffrey Lyons ~ that features Harvey's ever-lovin' wife Joy and the start of the Aqueduct spring meet..

Old 07-07-2021, 04:19 AM
Steve Byk

Having been away from New York in the '80's, I only became aware of Harvey when I returned to the Northeast and began to frequent the track, with the Siro's seminars my touchstone to him. It was a thrill every time I had a chance to turn the audience over to him on ATR.. an audience that he himself had cultivated in his unparalleled, uniquely styled career. The game owes Harvey Pack an enormous debt..

Old 07-07-2021, 05:55 AM
Belmont Park

well played, Harvey well played!

The TV show hooked me. I will never forget how great those Siro mornings were. You cant laugh harder than I laughed. He was a great man and I barely knew him.

Last edited by freddymo : 07-07-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:36 AM
Havre de Grace

Default Appreciation

They brought Harvey Pack to Suffolk Downs one Saturday. It was a big deal, since Boston had gotten Sportschannel and everyone watched his show every night. Place was mobbed that day to see him. He gives out a Billy Perry hoss in the second race who pays $80. I think maybe the double and exacta too. He couldn’t believe the great price, especially after he gave him out to everyone. He said that he couldn’t top that and had a great day mingling with all the fans the rest of the day. He was beloved in Boston for sure. My favorite thoroughbred action with Harvey Pack show was 8/9/96 for sure. Rest In Peace to a great man who was so great for the sport.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:43 AM
Flemington

Eddie O. slips in a "May the horse be with you" during live Stanley Cup action last night as a Canadians player gets knocked into the Tampa Bay bench and ends up straddling the boards like he was getting on a thoroughbred.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:44 AM
Cahokia Downs

Sad news. Enjoyed when he hosted the the Siro seminars. Purchased his book and he signed it a year latter.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:23 PM
Hollywood Park

Default cmf

i tried both of those i couldnt find do you have a site to go to to hear eddie say that
Old 08-09-2022, 12:47 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
They brought Harvey Pack to Suffolk Downs one Saturday. It was a big deal, since Boston had gotten Sportschannel and everyone watched his show every night. Place was mobbed that day to see him. He gives out a Billy Perry hoss in the second race who pays $80. I think maybe the double and exacta too. He couldn’t believe the great price, especially after he gave him out to everyone. He said that he couldn’t top that and had a great day mingling with all the fans the rest of the day. He was beloved in Boston for sure. My favorite thoroughbred action with Harvey Pack show was 8/9/96 for sure. Rest In Peace to a great man who was so great for the sport.

26 years ago today, great show with Harvey Pack. 27 years ago today, Jerry passed away.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:26 AM
Del Mar

Default Siro's

Watching the morning workouts and a walk over to Siro's for the seminar.

Those hours were some of the best. How could you not love the game more.

Did anyone ever tape the Siro's shows where we could see them now?

I could sit and watch them again. What joy!

Spyder from SC