Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Fairgrounds

Default NCAA seeding...

I didn't mind the job the selection committee did on the teams they left in and out. I would've put in Syracuse and Drexel and left out Stanford and Illinois (based on them losing those 2 players down the stretch).

But the seeding of these teams by the committeee was HORRIBLE!
Some were seeded too high. Some too low.

Too high (I mean for example if you're a 5 seed, you shoulda been a 7 seed) were Gonzaga, Butler and Tennessee

Too low (for example if you were a 7 seed, you shoulda been a 5 seed) were Nevada, Louisville, and Winthrop.

I don't have a bracket in front of me, so I could've named more. Feel free to add to the debate, agree or disagree if you want.
If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased...
Old 03-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Gulfstream Park

agree with each point...good analysis

http://<b>http://www.facebook.com/pr...ef=profile</b>
Old 03-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Sha Tin

How do they justify teams that dont win 20 games getting in? I mean out of 30 or more games, 20 should be the benchmark regardless of SOS.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
How do they justify teams that dont win 20 games getting in? I mean out of 30 or more games, 20 should be the benchmark regardless of SOS.
I think Stanford was the only one to get an at large bid with less than 20 wins. While I adamantly am against Stanford getting in they did only play 30 games while a lot of other teams played 33 or 34 so it isn't really that fair to say that their 18-12 isn't allowed but 20-14 would be fine.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:38 PM
Flemington

Quote:
What is the worst record ever to make it?? MIAMI(OHIO) AT 18-14 has to be getting close to the worst record ever.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
What is the worst record ever to make it?? MIAMI(OHIO) AT 18-14 has to be getting close to the worst record ever.
There have been 3 or 4 teams with losing records make it. I remember Siena was like 13-20 one year and won the play-in game before losing the eventual champion Maryland.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Hollywood Park

As bad as it is, sometimes I think the storyline gets a team in the tourney...for example, Illinois, funny how they're bracketed to take on Southern Illinois in the second round if both should win their first round games. Would be great to see SIU roll over Bruce Weber's underachieving Illini. Nothing against Weber, I love the guy as a coach, it's just a story and we all know the tournament is as much about the journey as it is the destination.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman5581
As bad as it is, sometimes I think the storyline gets a team in the tourney...for example, Illinois, funny how they're bracketed to take on Southern Illinois in the second round if both should win their first round games. Would be great to see SIU roll over Bruce Weber's underachieving Illini. Nothing against Weber, I love the guy as a coach, it's just a story and we all know the tournament is as much about the journey as it is the destination.
IT IS ABSOLUTLEY GREAT. SIU has always wanted to play Illinois (especially in the last 8 years) and they want no part of us, well now, I am praying that they are FORCED to play us so we can MOP them by 20....I can CARE LESS ABOUT MY FUTURE WAGERS, I would gladly forfeit them for a chance at Illini and SMOKING THEM so I can talk ish for the next 8 years until they force us to play again.....
Old 03-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
I think Stanford was the only one to get an at large bid with less than 20 wins. While I adamantly am against Stanford getting in they did only play 30 games while a lot of other teams played 33 or 34 so it isn't really that fair to say that their 18-12 isn't allowed but 20-14 would be fine.
There is nothing stopping them from playing the max # of games. Too hard for the smaller schools to get in when mediocre power conference teams get in with 18 wins. If you cant win 66% of your games in a given year you should be in the NIT.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Hialeah Park

I think the NIT this year is actually one of the more interesting tournaments they've had:

http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos...f/2007-Bracket

For anyone that bets the games in the tourney you can learn a lot by watching this and seeing if any trend develops like Big East teams going 4-0 against SEC teams or something like that. Last year two CAA teams made the Final Four of the NIT and George Mason went to the Final Four in the NCAAs. A Missouri Valley team made the Final Four and Wichita St went to the Elite 8. There are a lot of correlations between the success of conferences in the NIT and the NCAAs although it is very important to watch whatever games you can to not allow any results where a team just quit on the season to cloud your judgement.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
There is nothing stopping them from playing the max # of games. Too hard for the smaller schools to get in when mediocre power conference teams get in with 18 wins. If you cant win 66% of your games in a given year you should be in the NIT.
Agree, with schools being able to make their own schedules, they can schedule whoever they want. SIU can GET NO GAMES, none at all. Listen to this. THE ONLY reason we got to play Indiana this year was because Indiana Football needed a game filler, they asked SIU Football (Division 2) to play them, SIU told them, "You want that game, then we get a 2 game contract with your basketball team, at Indiana/at SIU".....they agreed.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse but Stanford lost 4 out of its last 5 (all goodteams except ASU-who sucks) and was 4-7 in its last 11 games! Lost 1 st round in its conf tourney. Disgrace. They'll probably go to the elite 8
Old 03-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Hialeah Park

Nevada - Creighton may be one of the toughest games in the tourney. I had Nevada as a 4 and Creighton as a 6 yet they are playing in a 7-10 game.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse but Stanford lost 4 out of its last 5 (all goodteams except ASU-who sucks) and was 4-7 in its last 11 games! Lost 1 st round in its conf tourney. Disgrace. They'll probably go to the elite 8
Believe me, I agree 100% on you with Stanford.

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10751

I just don't think a 20 game minimum is a good idea since you could easily have a 19-11 team be a lot better than a 20-14 team some year. There actually are rules preventing teams from playing so many games. You are only allowed 2 exempt tournaments every 4 years or something like that where the games only count as 2 towards your total even if you play 4. So getting more than 30 games isn't something every team is allowed. It would also create a situation where you had a 10 team league and the 6th and 7th place team both have 19 wins overall. The 7th place team gets to play the 10th place team in the opening round and gets their 20th win before losing to the 2 seed. The 6 seed loses opening round to the 3 seed. Now you are saying the 7 seed has become eligible by finishing lower in the leauge than the 6 seed. Getting a bye in your tournament would become a detriment.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Nevada - Creighton may be one of the toughest games in the tourney. I had Nevada as a 4 and Creighton as a 6 yet they are playing in a 7-10 game.
I will be attending that game
Old 03-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I will be attending that game
That should be a pretty awesome game. The winner of that is a major threat to Memphis. You got a little shafted in the rest of the games there though. Arizona-Purdue isn't the most exciting 8-9 game and I can't see either giving Florida a game. Jackson St should be in the play in game and North Texas should be a 16 seed. At least hopefully Florida and Memphis will be entertaining in their shallackings.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Believe me, I agree 100% on you with Stanford.

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10751

I just don't think a 20 game minimum is a good idea since you could easily have a 19-11 team be a lot better than a 20-14 team some year. There actually are rules preventing teams from playing so many games. You are only allowed 2 exempt tournaments every 4 years or something like that where the games only count as 2 towards your total even if you play 4. So getting more than 30 games isn't something every team is allowed. It would also create a situation where you had a 10 team league and the 6th and 7th place team both have 19 wins overall. The 7th place team gets to play the 10th place team in the opening round and gets their 20th win before losing to the 2 seed. The 6 seed loses opening round to the 3 seed. Now you are saying the 7 seed has become eligible by finishing lower in the leauge than the 6 seed. Getting a bye in your tournament would become a detriment.
I just read where the chair of the committee said that Syracuse was hurt by the unbalanced league schedule. What are they suppoed to do about that? I am far from a Syracuse fan but to hold the way a conference is set up against a team is stupid. I know that its a hard job and its impossible to make everyone happy but I think that more of the criteria should be required. You should have to have a winning conference record, SOS must be under 100 for power conferences, higher for midmajors, win at least 20 games or 66% of your games. If you do all these things then you are eligible to play in the tourney. If not then you better win the conference tourney. Having mid majors makes the tourney special, not the Stanfords or Illinois of the world.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
That should be a pretty awesome game. The winner of that is a major threat to Memphis. You got a little shafted in the rest of the games there though. Arizona-Purdue isn't the most exciting 8-9 game and I can't see either giving Florida a game. Jackson St should be in the play in game and North Texas should be a 16 seed. At least hopefully Florida and Memphis will be entertaining in their shallackings.
U of AZ grad. Hoping for a miracle.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Sha Tin

I will be in Lexington on Thursday but with OSU and Louisville and Xavier all within a short drive tickets will be hard to come by.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:12 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Im loving UNC's bracket right now...should be fairly smooth sailing to the Elite 8. If they meet G'Town, I will have great cause for concern.