Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Default son got his orders

Eric has been in school now for just over 2 years. he completed everything a few days ago, and is now a certified nuclear power electronics technician. he was originally slated to go to the geo bush, but he found out today...instead of norfolk, the poor kid is going to san diego! awwwwww he's going to the nimitz class carrier ronald reagan. my husband was on the nimitz many moons ago...

best of all, i get to see him in a week or so!!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Dee Tee Stables

300px-USSRONALDREAGANgoodshot.jpg
Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Saratoga

I wish him safe travels and am happy to hear you get to see him soon.

You must be very proud.

Congrats!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
Eric has been in school now for just over 2 years. he completed everything a few days ago, and is now a certified nuclear power electronics technician. he was originally slated to go to the geo bush, but he found out today...instead of norfolk, the poor kid is going to san diego! awwwwww he's going to the nimitz class carrier ronald reagan. my husband was on the nimitz many moons ago...

best of all, i get to see him in a week or so!!
Sounds great dan..Good luck to your son..Hear SD is a great city...I was there for a weekend many moons ago awaiting transf to Norton AFB in San Berdoo...spent the weekend drinking beer with some airmen and swabbies...
My grandson visited Norfolk few years ago on school project and brought me a cap USS NIMITZ, CVN-68..only wore it once..If you want it i'll send it to ya..

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 04-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Ocala Mike

Default son got his orders

I assume this is his first time going to sea? Let us know when he "crosses the line" (King Neptune ceremony).
Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I haven't been to San Diego in a long time, but I remember how much I loved it. Really fun city. Best wishes to him on his new adventure and that's great you get to see him soon!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
I haven't been to San Diego in a long time, but I remember how much I loved it. Really fun city. Best wishes to him on his new adventure and that's great you get to see him soon!
It's a tough place to live
Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post
Sounds great dan..Good luck to your son..Hear SD is a great city...I was there for a weekend many moons ago awaiting transf to Norton AFB in San Berdoo...spent the weekend drinking beer with some airmen and swabbies...
My grandson visited Norfolk few years ago on school project and brought me a cap USS NIMITZ, CVN-68..only wore it once..If you want it i'll send it to ya..
tony still has a nimitz cap from years ago. and it's been a long time since san diego, that's where tony and i met! ah, the good old days...
Old 04-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
I assume this is his first time going to sea? Let us know when he "crosses the line" (King Neptune ceremony).
it is. he did boot camp, and then school ever since. there were times that he'd say 'the fleet doesn't exist' because his schools dragged on so long. i know he's excited. i just hope he pays more attention than his old man did on deck. were it not for the netting around the flight deck, my last name wouldn't be zeigler!

thanks everyone for the kind wishes. haven't seen my 'baby' in almost a year.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2 View Post
It's a tough place to live
Nobody likes a bragger.

Seriously, I can see why you would live there. I had a great time. Took a wonderful trail ride along the beach; I still remember it.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
it is. he did boot camp, and then school ever since. there were times that he'd say 'the fleet doesn't exist' because his schools dragged on so long. i know he's excited. i just hope he pays more attention than his old man did on deck. were it not for the netting around the flight deck, my last name wouldn't be zeigler!

thanks everyone for the kind wishes. haven't seen my 'baby' in almost a year.
That's a funny anecdote about your husband. My uncle was in the Navy (early 1960s). He told me he desperately wanted to be assigned to a submarine and was crushed when he wasn't. Then, some time later, he got to tour one. The first thing he did after getting off was kneel down on the ground and say, "Dear God, thank you for not letting me get put on a submarine!" I love his Navy stories.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
That's a funny anecdote about your husband. My uncle was in the Navy (early 1960s). He told me he desperately wanted to be assigned to a submarine and was crushed when he wasn't. Then, some time later, he got to tour one. The first thing he did after getting off was kneel down on the ground and say, "Dear God, thank you for not letting me get put on a submarine!" I love his Navy stories.
yeah, subs would be a lot neater if they had windows. and on deck, you have to keep your wits about you at all times. a jet turned and his exhaust just blew tony over, and rolled him across the deck! crazy stuff. he saw another guy get sucked into the intake of a jet-guy was lucky to make it. he was a bigger guy, so he only got pulled in a bit. eric's going to drive cross country, so he's making stops along the way. hubby's uncle is in phoenix, so eric's stopping off there after leaving here.
ah, youth. wasted on the young!!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
yeah, subs would be a lot neater if they had windows. and on deck, you have to keep your wits about you at all times. a jet turned and his exhaust just blew tony over, and rolled him across the deck! crazy stuff. he saw another guy get sucked into the intake of a jet-guy was lucky to make it. he was a bigger guy, so he only got pulled in a bit. eric's going to drive cross country, so he's making stops along the way. hubby's uncle is in phoenix, so eric's stopping off there after leaving here.
Is he stopping in Vegas...everyone should go there at least once...that's enough..

When you are right, no one remembers;when you are wrong, no one forgets.

Thought for today.."No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit
they are wrong" - Francois, Duc de la Rochefoucauld, French moralist (1613-1680)
Old 04-27-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
No kidding. While my 30s were much better than my 20s, I really do miss the energy I had then. And the metabolism. And I don't see either of those situations reversing themselves... like, ever.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrun View Post
Is he stopping in Vegas...everyone should go there at least once...that's enough..
not sure. but we did discuss del mar and santa anita....and going to see the kings, ducks and chargers. none of us have ever said anything about going to vegas, it's not on my list.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:36 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
No kidding. While my 30s were much better than my 20s, I really do miss the energy I had then. And the metabolism. And I don't see either of those situations reversing themselves... like, ever.
the only thing i like about the age i am now-the kids are grown! but yeah, aches appearing in new places. and we won't discuss food.