Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Del Mar

Default Secret 3M New Product

Was at a 3M Research Lab this week only to find this on my way out. Wonder what they're working on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3ma.jpg (34.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Saratoga

Next time you go there maybe you could take some of the employees and section them off into little groups and force them into cages.

You could begin with forced inhalation.

What you do is you give varying doses of whatever toxic material is used in, say, the adhesive for post its and I do mean till they are bleeding through their mouths and genitals and the pain in their stomachs and brains is so severe it is literally crippling.

The ones in the highest dose group have convulsions, are paralyzed and ultimately die. Maybe the lucky ones die. They're usually all dead within two weeks anyway.

With the ones who are left from the toxicity tests and the newcomers you begin either the eye corrosion tests or the skin sensitivity tests.

I won't be graphic with these. Whatever you can imagine let's just say it's worse.

Sorry Spydee, **** 3M. I realize people use their products on a daily basis but becoming aware is the place to start so I had to mention that they are and always have been on the BAD list.

Now wtf is that picture of?
Old 05-25-2013, 02:45 PM
Ocala Mike

Default Secret 3M New Product

Really? I always thought that 3M was a "socially responsible" company, and always liked them going back to the days of McKnight, owner of Tartan Stable.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dividend...ividend-stock/
Old 05-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Really? I always thought that 3M was a "socially responsible" company, and always liked them going back to the days of McKnight, owner of Tartan Stable.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dividend...ividend-stock/
It's Saturday night and I don't want to be here for hours so this is a short answer.

How about this... instead of me posting links to try to prove anything please google it someday (although I will include the latest naughty list from peta... companies that test on animals).

http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/PDF/companiesdotest.pdf

The strongest argument I could possibly make (not that we're arguing!) is the one thing I will not do...post videos of the actual labs.

Just for fun though since you brought up the words socially responsible? Look up stuff about the warnings not to eat fish from the Mississippi River (contaminated with the endocrine disruptor (pretty much unregulated and there are many different kinds) PFO, a key ingredient in Scotchguard (It was reformulated in 2003. It now contains PFBS which supposedly has a much shorter half-life in people than PFOS . You do realize who all this crap is tested on right? Woof woof). Something like 80 percent of bass were "feminized" while minnows suddenly had intersex characteristics. Eggs in their testes? There is something frightening about that isn't there?

I think there were close to 30,000 lawsuits around the year 2000... asbestos-related issues (and hey the disposable respirator that 3M manufactured and employees wore was defective). Asbestos related issues sounds much nicer than lung cancer, mesothelioma etc. There were lawsuits regarding landfills... we could be here all day, my friend.

Oh and yes... I know about the 3P program (Pollution Prevention Pays).

Nice that they just got a big tax break for a shiny, new research facility. Maybe it can hold even more dogs, cats, pigs, guniea pigs, etc.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:12 AM
Del Mar

It was a picture that looked like funny butts....

I wasn't at 3M anyway,

it was really Exxon..there, is that better.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
How about this... instead of me posting links to try to prove anything please google it someday (although I will include the latest naughty list from peta... companies that test on animals).

Oh and yes... I know about the 3P program (Pollution Prevention Pays).

Nice that they just got a big tax break for a shiny, new research facility. Maybe it can hold even more dogs, cats, pigs, guniea pigs, etc.
As you know, I'm on the side of no animal cruelty, and I make eating choices accordingly (no factory farm meat, milk or eggs, and sustainable fish, which means I don't eat much meat), but I'm going to play devil's advocate.

The other side of the animal testing thing on cosmetics and household cleaners (I'm not including things like drugs and automotive stuff, which are required to go through animal testing), is that, when introducing a new product, a company needs to make sure it's done its due diligence in making sure the product is safe, because, in the event it turns out not to be, lawyers suing on behalf of plaintiffs will use any hole in testing as proof the company was negligent, and that will certainly include a lack of animal testing. The onus is then on the company to prove that animal testing would have made no difference. And that can be impossible to prove, and a lot more expensive than just testing on animals to begin with. It's a testament, sadly, to our lack of concern for animal welfare (and anyone who eats factory farmed meat, which is most of it, is directly supporting animal cruelty on a scale far larger and far more barbaric than even laboratory animals, which do fall under at least a legally required minimal standard of care, no matter how poor), and to our litigious society.

Businesses have no interest in anything other than making the most amount of money with the least amount of expenditure. If they feel they can bring products to market without testing on animals, they will, because it's cheaper for them. But they're testing because they're afraid of getting sued for an unsafe product later.

But, of course, we can always offer opinion with our pocketbooks. Here are eight products you can stop buying (if you currently do) that have been tested on animals:

Windex
Post-Its (3M)
Kleenex
Mars Candy (M&Ms, Snickers, Twix, Skittles, and many more)
Trojans
Band-Aids
Iams Pet Food
Vaseline

http://www.businessinsurance.org/8-p...ed-on-animals/

And people can write their Congresscritters and say they support freeing companies that don't test on animals from litigation if their products end up being dangerous to the public.

And I'm not sure if those things in the picture were teeth or nekkid wimmin. I saw teeth first. What does that say?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder View Post
It was a picture that looked like funny butts....

I wasn't at 3M anyway,

it was really Exxon..there, is that better.
It looked like something out of the Wallace and Gromit film, The Wrong Trousers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post

But, of course, we can always offer opinion with our pocketbooks. Here are eight products you can stop buying (if you currently do) that have been tested on animals:

Windex
Post-Its (3M)
Kleenex
Mars Candy (M&Ms, Snickers, Twix, Skittles, and many more)
Trojans
Band-Aids
Iams Pet Food
Vaseline

http://www.businessinsurance.org/8-p...ed-on-animals/

And people can write their Congresscritters and say they support freeing companies that don't test on animals from litigation if their products end up being dangerous to the public.

And I'm not sure if those things in the picture were teeth or nekkid wimmin. I saw teeth first. What does that say?
That you're weird for noticing the teeth first?

Thanks for posting the list and while I know peta isnt't popular here for many reasons the one I posted above does list many many companies too.

I realize we all can't stop buying every product these companies make but, as I know you know, beoming aware and hopfully not giving some of them business, etc., well it's a start.

This was posted in the what not to eat thread but proof that things can be accomplished...

http://ens-newswire.com/2013/03/11/e...ed-on-animals/