Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Steve Byk

Default 5/6 ATR: McGaughey, Pletcher, Amoss, Byrne, more..

Derby-Oaks Weekend Recap ATR Day 1, Monday 9a-12p..

9:15-9:35 Tom Amoss
9:40-10:15 Shug McGaughey
10:20-10:55 Johnny D
11:00-11:15 Pat Byrne
11:20-11:40 Jon White
11:40-11:55 Todd Pletcher

Sirius 93, XM 209, SportsZone 961 and streaming at www.stevebyk.com.

Last edited by Kasept : 05-06-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Belmont Park

Can we get a quick inquiry on PoE and why the decision to scratch when he has won on yielding ground please?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Can we get a quick inquiry on PoE and why the decision to scratch when he has won on yielding ground please?
I think I read something about him slipping a lot in the Turf classic, (that he won) so even though he won, he had a hard time on it.

Funny how no one is bringing up that Marketing Mix got scratched a few hours earlier for the same thing. Her connections didn't want her running on the course the way it was. Just like Shug and she has won over a wet course as well.

These turf courses aren't all the same, so while they both might be soft or yielding, they could be a lot different.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:10 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I think I read something about him slipping a lot in the Turf classic, (that he won) so even though he won, he had a hard time on it.

Funny how no one is bringing up that Marketing Mix got scratched a few hours earlier for the same thing. Her connections didn't want her running on the course the way it was. Just like Shug and she has won over a wet course as well.

These turf courses aren't all the same, so while they both might be soft or yielding, they could be a lot different.
Or that her owner tweeted immediately after the race: "We would have won."

I'm sure Dinny Phipps doesn't have a Twitter account, but I'll check to see if he had a similar feeling after the Woodford Reserve.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post

Yesterday morning I was bitching to our trainer about him being scratched and how he won over that type of turf surface, his next response was "Sure he won over it but how do you know how he came out of it"

So yes, I feel like an ass cause I probably didn't think it through clearly or the other side of the coin
Old 05-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
McGaughey addresses the situation and the timeline to the decision in the second half of his visit today.

Derby & Orb connection acknowledgements by Shug runs 9:40-9:57.

Hymm Book, Tokyo Time, Hungry Island, Point of Entry and Preakness talk 10:00-10:15.

ARCHIVE: http://www.thoroughbredracingradione...y=06&Itemid=35
Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
McGaughey addresses the situation and the timeline to the decision in the second half of his visit today.

Derby & Orb connection acknowledgements by Shug runs 9:40-9:57.

Hymm Book, Tokyo Time, Hungry Island, Point of Entry and Preakness talk 10:00-10:15.

ARCHIVE: http://www.thoroughbredracingradione...y=06&Itemid=35
Geez Shug gave you the kitchen sink... I couldnt be happier for you both
Old 05-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Shug comes off as easy to like as they get.

In one of his TV interviews, he said didn't want to run Orb in the Fountain of Youth, but only ran in that spot because an allowance race for him wouldn't fill "anywhere in the area" ... which that wording sure sounded like he would have even preferred running Orb in an N2X allowance at Tampa rather than the Fountain of Youth. Payson Park is about 3 hours from Tampa.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
Shug comes off as easy to like as they get.

In one of his TV interviews, he said didn't want to run Orb in the Fountain of Youth, but only ran in that spot because an allowance race for him wouldn't fill "anywhere in the area" ... which that wording sure sounded like he would have even preferred running Orb in an N2X allowance at Tampa rather than the Fountain of Youth. Payson Park is about 3 hours from Tampa.
He also said he would have run him in NY vs older horses, but it never filled.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Steve Byk

Shug segment on "Best Of": http://www.thoroughbredracingradione...d=25&Itemid=41
Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Geez Shug gave you the kitchen sink... I couldnt be happier for you both
Thanks Freddy. I do think he's been the trainer I've had on the show the most these past 7 years. It was a real honor for me to have the opportunity for that conversation today.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Flemington

Quote:
This is really fantastic!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
This is really fantastic!
Thx Sighty!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Gulfstream Park

I think it should be a given/tradition that the Derby winner has to do a 1/2 hour on ATR every year from now on. Great stuff.

So happy for Shug and all the connections. Can't wait for the next one.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:19 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Is this downloadable?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfGrey View Post
Is this downloadable?
I'll have Casey put in the download format..
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
I'll have Casey put in the download format..
Awesome! Thanks!