Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-11-2007, 02:26 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Nothing too surprising, she was pretty badly outclassed there. Want to thank Chuck though for giving her a run in allowance company. I'm much happier with that then I would be if she ran back in a 30K claimer, ran huge first time of the turf, and was claimed to go onto have a nice career for someone else. Keep in mind the only one that lost anything by her running there today was Chuck who is relying on purse money to pay for the work he is putting into her. The best move for him financially was to put her in the spot she had the best chance of getting purse money even if it meant she got claimed. For him to put her there for us ahead of his own best financial interest was very selfless of him and shouldn't go unappreciated.
Totally agree. Thanks, Chuck, and all who worked with Sumwon to get her ready for this race. She Came Home safe and sound, and there will be other races.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 04-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Nothing too surprising, she was pretty badly outclassed there. Want to thank Chuck though for giving her a run in allowance company. I'm much happier with that then I would be if she ran back in a 30K claimer, ran huge first time of the turf, and was claimed to go onto have a nice career for someone else. Keep in mind the only one that lost anything by her running there today was Chuck who is relying on purse money to pay for the work he is putting into her. The best move for him financially was to put her in the spot she had the best chance of getting purse money even if it meant she got claimed. For him to put her there for us ahead of his own best financial interest was very selfless of him and shouldn't go unappreciated.
Absolutely agree.

Plus, the way I look at it, she got one under her belt after the layoff, she got some exercise and some schooling, and it doesn't hurt to darken her pps a bit to get better odds next time out ('cause we know she's gonna' run back well in a softer spot).
Old 04-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Dee Tee Stables

sumwon was 3 wide early, 5 wide around the far turn. she got tired. i spoke briefly to chuck before and after the race. she saddled fine, seemed fine all the way up to the race. it's her first start in over 4 months, and he said maybe he had her a little short. but that race will only help-said she seemed to cool out ok, he's going to have her scoped just to make sure, but thinks she's just tired.

it was a lot of fun--i watched at work, maybe another time i'll be lucky enough to be there live.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Keeneland

Edgar just won with a nice one in the 6th... a Giant's Causeway filly named Carriage Trail.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Saratoga

Danzig, saw it pretty much the same way. Looked like she was a little headstrong into the first turn, wanted the lead while the instructions were to try to settle her. This led to her getting caught out wide which is where she was for the rest of the race. Looked like she did move a little in the stretch, but when a horse came in front of her and she had to move, she packed it in. I want to thank Chuck and Steve for the experience, it was fun to watch the race and hopefully there are better days in the future and this race helps for the future.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Edgar just won with a nice one in the 6th... a Giant's Causeway filly named Carriage Trail.
Shug mister
Old 04-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Keeneland

I wish Brian was on here right now...

Yolanda B. Too and Leah's Secret are running in the 8th!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Randwyck

On ATRAB Steve said she came back fine and scoped clean. Steve also
said she was short for the race and will see improvement next time.
She drank a whole bucket of water. The main thing she came out the race
in good order.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucon17
in good order.
Thanks for the report!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
in good order.
Thanks for the update. Wish I could listen to ATRAB right now. Work has it blocked.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Keeneland

Congrats to Helen Pitts! Way to go Calvin.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
in good order.
good to hear. I take nothing but positives out of the race. Looked to me like she just got a bit tired and was facing much better horses than her as of now.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Narragansett Park

I just watched the replay on Calracing, and it looked to me like she didn't change leads coming down the lane. She was in the camera for a few strides as they straightened out for home and I don't think she had switched yet at that point. She might have switched later but it is hard to tell on the head-on with horses in front of her.

If I had to guess, I'd say Graham gave her a couple of left-handed whacks near the end to try to get her to switch. I'd also guess that her swerve at the top of the lane was him yanking on her trying to get her to change. He kind of did the same thing as they came out of the first turn to go down the backstretch. He looked back, she swerved and then she switched.

Then again, I could be full of it......

I liked the effort, and I hope she comes home ok. There will be more races to run as long as she stays sound.

Thanks again to Chuck and Steve for putting this together for us!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 03:51 PM
The Curragh

Great thanks again to Chuck and Steve. Really a big thrill that I hope to repeat and exceed many times with this fine group.

Glad it sounds like she came back sound and we will regroup for next time. Certainly a bit of a tough trip as well as significant class/dist/surface test.

Let's go smoke some $30K claimers next time!

Look forward to the continued updates and learning.

Pat
Old 04-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Churchill Downs

Turf may not be her thing. I was expecting her to take the lead but she drew wide and stayed there and tired out. If she gets in a softer spot on dirt she may wire them at a price.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech
I just watched the replay on Calracing, and it looked to me like she didn't change leads coming down the lane. She was in the camera for a few strides as they straightened out for home and I don't think she had switched yet at that point. She might have switched later but it is hard to tell on the head-on with horses in front of her.

If I had to guess, I'd say Graham gave her a couple of left-handed whacks near the end to try to get her to switch. I'd also guess that her swerve at the top of the lane was him yanking on her trying to get her to change. He kind of did the same thing as they came out of the first turn to go down the backstretch. He looked back, she swerved and then she switched.

Then again, I could be full of it......

I liked the effort, and I hope she comes home ok. There will be more races to run as long as she stays sound.

Thanks again to Chuck and Steve for putting this together for us!!!!!
I think you're 100 percent correct...she didn't change leads in the stretch til much later. She was on her right lead under the wire however...but not seeing her from early stretch until she crossed the wire no way to know when she actually finally did change.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Santa Anita

For whatever it's worth...race 7 was also a 3yr old filly NW1X allowance at 8.5f on turf was run almost 4 full seconds slower than race 4. Perhaps the track took in some rain or not don't know, still listed as firm. Interesting nonetheless.

1:42.98 and 1:46.64 comparing the two.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Sheepshead Bay

20-30k 3yr old fillie turf is a tough race to find this time of the year. She got the experience against some real classie fillies. Lots of positives, Dint be discouraged. Im sure Cannon learned someting with the race and will help her ,
Old 04-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Del Mar

Default The Big Race

I watched the race riding in a car down the highway in NJ on my computer. I must admit, as others are saying, I've never enjoyed loosing more than today. Oh, well, there be other days.

Thanks to Steve and Chuck and Sumwon.

Spyder from SC
Old 04-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
For whatever it's worth...race 7 was also a 3yr old filly NW1X allowance at 8.5f on turf was run almost 4 full seconds slower than race 4. Perhaps the track took in some rain or not don't know, still listed as firm. Interesting nonetheless.

1:42.98 and 1:46.64 comparing the two.
More importantly if she had been in that race she could have run slower than she did today early and been on the lead instead of strung wide the whole way. Looks like she drew into the wrong division, that would have been a perfect race for her to steal a piece of.