Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
You mean it isn't Luck's fault that his team gave up more than 80 points in the 2 playoff games this year? Huh

You guys are crazy. Who tossed the interceptions?
Old 01-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Gulfstream Park

3 playoff games

55% completion percentage
6 TD
8 INTs
1 win 2 losses
Old 01-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
3 playoff games

55% completion percentage
6 TD
8 INTs
1 win 2 losses
Look at the pieces he has around him. He has made TY Hilton. LaVon Brazill? Griff Whalen? A back-up RB who had to replace an ineffective starter?

The Colts had none of the necessary parts that the remaining teams have. NE is surging right now because their running game is ridiculously strong. In their last 3 games, Brady is 41-75 for 492 yds, 2TDs and 1 INT. They've beautifully transitioned into a power running team without Gronk. Seattle has a marquee RB, depth at WR and a solid TE. Luck never had the luxury of a strong running game or a set of dynamic receivers (SF and Denver both have these).

The job that he did this year, especially when they were in a tail spin following Wayne's injury, was terrific. They've also had 2 different offensive coordinators in his first two years. Give him another piece or two and another year in the system and just watch. Let's not even touch on their defense...
Old 01-14-2014, 04:56 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Look at the pieces he has around him. He has made TY Hilton. LaVon Brazill? Griff Whalen? A back-up RB who had to replace an ineffective starter?

The Colts had none of the necessary parts that the remaining teams have. NE is surging right now because their running game is ridiculously strong. In their last 3 games, Brady is 41-75 for 492 yds, 2TDs and 1 INT. They've beautifully transitioned into a power running team without Gronk. Seattle has a marquee RB, depth at WR and a solid TE. Luck never had the luxury of a strong running game or a set of dynamic receivers (SF and Denver both have these).

The job that he did this year, especially when they were in a tail spin following Wayne's injury, was terrific. They've also had 2 different offensive coordinators in his first two years. Give him another piece or two and another year in the system and just watch. Let's not even touch on their defense...
Based on talks I had here with a bunch of Pats fans I know, Bronco fans and Pats fans agree that Luck is one step away from being the next great QB.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip-Clop View Post
Based on talks I had here with a bunch of Pats fans I know, Bronco fans and Pats fans agree that Luck is one step away from being the next great QB.
Having watched a good bit of him in college and now in the NFL, I agree. I was at the Texans-Colts Sunday night game, and the comeback that he orchestrated is something that only a short list of current QBs in the NFL could do.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:01 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Having watched a good bit of him in college and now in the NFL, I agree. I was at the Texans-Colts Sunday night game, and the comeback that he orchestrated is something that only a short list of current QBs in the NFL could do.
Won't take long for him to get it all put together. He will start to realize more quickly that the receiver and him didn't make the same read and not throw those balls anymore.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Dee Tee Stables

qb's, like presidents, get too much credit when things go well, and too much blame when things go poorly.
luck will turn out just fine. and don't forget, some second stringers looked good when playing in place of the starter, because of what team they were on.
what did matt flynn do once he left GB? what did he accomplish once he got back there? everyone, remember when brady missed a year? i do...where's that awesome QB now? backing up someone else, somewhere else.
dan marino was a heck of a qb, how many rings does he have? none, because you have to have players besides a qb.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
qb's, like presidents, get too much credit when things go well, and too much blame when things go poorly.
luck will turn out just fine. and don't forget, some second stringers looked good when playing in place of the starter, because of what team they were on.
what did matt flynn do once he left GB? what did he accomplish once he got back there? everyone, remember when brady missed a year? i do...where's that awesome QB now? backing up someone else, somewhere else.
dan marino was a heck of a qb, how many rings does he have? none, because you have to have players besides a qb.
A very apt analogy actually
Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 AM
Flemington

Quote:

Excellent post Nick (especially the part when Reggie Wayne went down)
Old 01-15-2014, 10:02 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:

I actually LIKE Luck, but if he's going to get all the credit, he has to accept blame when he throws 3 or 4 picks.

Seattle has depth at WR and a solid TE? I'd take the Colts receivers over Seattle's. Baldwin is not a legit starting WR and even Tate is a number 2, at best. We really can't count Harvin because he's played about 3 quarters all season. I'll take Fleener over Zach Miller, who at best is average. And as for NE, they looked like a good running team against a poor run defense. If they somehow manage to beat Denver, and I don't think they will, Seattle or San Fran will completely shut down their running game.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
I actually LIKE Luck, but if he's going to get all the credit, he has to accept blame when he throws 3 or 4 picks.

Seattle has depth at WR and a solid TE? I'd take the Colts receivers over Seattle's. Baldwin is not a legit starting WR and even Tate is a number 2, at best. We really can't count Harvin because he's played about 3 quarters all season. I'll take Fleener over Zach Miller, who at best is average. And as for NE, they looked like a good running team against a poor run defense. If they somehow manage to beat Denver, and I don't think they will, Seattle or San Fran will completely shut down their running game.
I don't know where Luck did not accept blame. No one excused him from receiving blame, my point was that he is attempting to do more with less.

As far as individual personnel goes, there's no chance anyone would take the receiving corps that Luck had on Saturday night over what Wilson currently has, even without Harvin and Rice. Guys like Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin are proven commodities in the NFL. Zach Miller is a pro bowler who had 192 catches between 2008 and 2010 for 2268 yards catching passes from the likes of JaMarcus Russell, Bruce Gradkowski, Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller, Daunte Culpepper, and Charlie Frye. He led the Seahawks in TD catches this year and missed 2 games. Fleener has incredible talent and is one you'd buy moving forward if given a choice between he and Miller, but Miller is absolutely a solid TE.

Tate and Baldwin combined for 114 receptions and 1676 yards this year, most of which was played without the team's two best receivers. That's depth.

LaVon Brazill's career high in receptions in one game was 3 prior to Saturday night. He didn't even play until Week 6 this year and had a total of 23 catches in his career coming into the playoffs. Whalen had 24 catches on the season coming into the playoffs. They got the typical 0 out of the oft-injured Hayward-Bey down the stretch. Whalen and Brazill had very similar stats to Jermaine Kearse, who is Seattle's 5th option at wide receiver when everyone's healthy.

All of this doesn't include the fact that Seattle has one of the best RBs in the league, while Luck had the god awful Trent Richardson and Donald Brown.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:42 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
I don't know where Luck did not accept blame. No one excused him from receiving blame, my point was that he is attempting to do more with less.

As far as individual personnel goes, there's no chance anyone would take the receiving corps that Luck had on Saturday night over what Wilson currently has, even without Harvin and Rice. Guys like Golden Tate and Doug Baldwin are proven commodities in the NFL. Zach Miller is a pro bowler who had 192 catches between 2008 and 2010 for 2268 yards catching passes from the likes of JaMarcus Russell, Bruce Gradkowski, Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller, Daunte Culpepper, and Charlie Frye. He led the Seahawks in TD catches this year and missed 2 games. Fleener has incredible talent and is one you'd buy moving forward if given a choice between he and Miller, but Miller is absolutely a solid TE.

Tate and Baldwin combined for 114 receptions and 1676 yards this year, most of which was played without the team's two best receivers. That's depth.

LaVon Brazill's career high in receptions in one game was 3 prior to Saturday night. He didn't even play until Week 6 this year and had a total of 23 catches in his career coming into the playoffs. Whalen had 24 catches on the season coming into the playoffs. They got the typical 0 out of the oft-injured Hayward-Bey down the stretch. Whalen and Brazill had very similar stats to Jermaine Kearse, who is Seattle's 5th option at wide receiver when everyone's healthy.

All of this doesn't include the fact that Seattle has one of the best RBs in the league, while Luck had the god awful Trent Richardson and Donald Brown.
If you are going to use the Oakland QB argument with Zach Miller (and I understand that argument), you can make the case that Heyward Bey had the same QBs throwing to him. Heyward Bey's 2011 numbers are far superior anything Baldwin has ever done, and actually a little better than Tate's 2013 season. While Luck only had Wayne for half this past season, he is light years better than either Tate or Baldwin, and I'd still take him over Harvin.

I should've rephrased the part about Luck accepting blame. Actually he does. His fanboys are the ones in denial. He may be the best QB in the league in two or three years, but he still has to develop.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
If you are going to use the Oakland QB argument with Zach Miller (and I understand that argument), you can make the case that Heyward Bey had the same QBs throwing to him. Heyward Bey's 2011 numbers are far superior anything Baldwin has ever done, and actually a little better than Tate's 2013 season. While Luck only had Wayne for half this past season, he is light years better than either Tate or Baldwin, and I'd still take him over Harvin.

I should've rephrased the part about Luck accepting blame. Actually he does. His fanboys are the ones in denial. He may be the best QB in the league in two or three years, but he still has to develop.
How many teams GM's would trade their QB for him right now? At least 25 and maybe more.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
How many teams GM's would trade their QB for him right now? At least 25 and maybe more.
Every one based on age.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Probably at least 25. So what? GMs go strictly by potential, and Luck is loaded with potential. Nobody doubts that. But he has a gunslinger mentality. He's going to need to tone that down a bit.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Probably at least 25. So what? GMs go strictly by potential, and Luck is loaded with potential. Nobody doubts that. But he has a gunslinger mentality. He's going to need to tone that down a bit.
So what? He has a pretty good track record already no? 22-11 with a playoff win. I wish my team had that kind of QB and record
Old 01-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
So what? He has a pretty good track record already no? 22-11 with a playoff win. I wish my team had that kind of QB and record
Yeah but your team has Lauren Tannehill
Old 01-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
No, see, it doesn't matter that he had virtually no running game in the playoffs and 2/3 of his primary receivers were basically practice squad guys. Oh, throw in that his defense was abysmal. He sucks because he's thrown 8 INTs and "only" gone 1-2 in three games where his team was an underdog, at least one of which came to the eventual Super Bowl champion.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I can honestly make say that only 2 QB's wouldn't warrant a trade.
. Aaron Rogers and Nick Foles. As a GM I am looking at a 10 year horizon and Rogers and Foles are the only 2 that have a shot at being around then. Luck has proven he is never out of a game.. The Zenyetta of NFL QB's so to say
Old 01-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
I can honestly make say that only 2 QB's wouldn't warrant a trade.
. Aaron Rogers and Nick Foles. As a GM I am looking at a 10 year horizon and Rogers and Foles are the only 2 that have a shot at being around then. Luck has proven he is never out of a game.. The Zenyetta of NFL QB's so to say
That is Pure Poetry right there