Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Horseplayers LEAVE restaurants when jockeys come in....we certainly don't go looking for them.
and RUN when jock agents arrive?
Old 02-23-2007, 08:04 AM
MajestikMX

Quote:
Horseplayers LEAVE restaurants when jockeys come in....we certainly don't go looking for them.
Never said I went looking for them, I just happened to be having the Cadillac of Margaritas when they came in, Santos(whom I lost a huge tri on that day but kept that to myself) and I believe Migs was coming in as I was leaving and Bob intro. me to as well. Couple of others but had too many Margaritas to remember. They were very cordial and thank us for being fans of the sport. Not many other athletes or famous folks can say the same IMO.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreetposse
Never said I went looking for them, I just happened to be having the Cadillac of Margaritas when they came in, Santos(whom I lost a huge tri on that day but kept that to myself) and I believe Migs was coming in as I was leaving and Bob intro. me to as well. Couple of others but had too many Margaritas to remember. They were very cordial and thank us for being fans of the sport. Not many other athletes or famous folks can say the same IMO.
I agree.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
I agree.
I don't.

I am taking nothing away from the vast majority of riders, and their pretty much extremely generous behavoir in Saratoga, but compared to other " athletes " and famous people they are hardly well known, nor do they act differently than most.

One of my close friends is a well known movie actor and he is unbelievably gracious to everybody who stops him on the street or sees him publicly. Certainly everybody is not quite as generous, but most are within reason, just like the riders. To say that " not many others " behave in that manner is grossly unfair.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I don't.

I am taking nothing away from the vast majority of riders, and their pretty much extremely generous behavoir in Saratoga, but compared to other " athletes " and famous people they are hardly well known, nor do they act differently than most.

One of my close friends is a well known movie actor and he is unbelievably gracious to everybody who stops him on the street or sees him publicly. Certainly everybody is not quite as generous, but most are within reason, just like the riders. To say that " not many others " behave in that manner is grossly unfair.
I bet Dixie is pretty gracious towards all of his fans too.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
I bet Dixie is pretty gracious towards all of his fans too.
How did you know that's who I meant?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I don't.

I know a few "famous" folks myself that are gracious and friendly as well, but I think it's fair to say that the MAJORITY of famous people are not so gracious. Furthermore, while the jockeys are not considered well known to you, they are to other people who may not be as deep into the racing industry as yourself. I would say that since you are considered an insider, you couldn't possibly think of the jockeys as famous people and therefore you can't judge.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
I know a few "famous" folks myself that are gracious and friendly as well, but I think it's fair to say that the MAJORITY of famous people are not so gracious. Furthermore, while the jockeys are not considered well known to you, they are to other people who may not be as deep into the racing industry as yourself. I would say that since you are considered an insider, you couldn't possibly think of the jockeys as famous people and therefore you can't judge.

You don't understand. In Saratoga, the riders are well known, as frankly am I, but in the outside world very few people know who they are. That is a fact.

While the famous people I know are in the film business, and I have spent time with more than a few, the're almost all extremely gracious to everybody that speaks to them. Perhaps in other segments of supposed " famous " people this is not true. There are jerks in all walks of life....and any famous person that doesn't return their fan's adoration with generosity is completely out of line, within reason, as without those people they would be nothing.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Woodbine

I give out autographs all the time
Old 02-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
You don't understand. In Saratoga, the riders are well known, as frankly am I, but in the outside world very few people know who they are. That is a fact.

While the famous people I know are in the film business, and I have spent time with more than a few, the're almost all extremely gracious to everybody that speaks to them. Perhaps in other segments of supposed " famous " people this is not true. There are jerks in all walks of life....and any famous person that doesn't return their fan's adoration with generosity is completely out of line, within reason, as without those people they would be nothing.
I DO understand, Andy... but what I'm saying is that to people who are racing fans, the jockeys and YOU are famous. For example, you may not give a shiat about NASCAR and therefore the drivers of the cars are nameless to you (thus not famous), but to a diehard NASCAR fan, they are famous. To each their own is all I'm saying.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:25 PM
Jerome Park

OK. My real argument is the suggestion that jockeys somehow act differently than other " famous people " with their graciousness. That is unfair and untrue.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:31 PM
MajestikMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBred
I am going to be making my first trip to Saratoga this year, probably the 1st weekend of August. I live in Florida, what is the best airport to fly into? I dont mind flying in to a place and driving 30-60 minutes If I can get a better rate that way.

Also, any advice on where to stay in Toga? Where to hang out?:D

Getting back to the original question, I was just suggesting a nice place to go after the races to have a few cocktails, some good food, and great atmosphere with Jocks or without. I'm sorry BTW that I and apparently quite a few of the members, longstanding or new, are not worthy of expressing our viewpoints in your company.

To this, I say "GOOD DAY!!"
Old 02-23-2007, 01:32 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
OK. My real argument is the suggestion that jockeys somehow act differently than other " famous people " with their graciousness. That is unfair and untrue.
Ok, fair enough. You win.

Regardless... hope I get to meet you and everyone else up at Toga. I need to book my flight still, but it sounds like it's going to be awesome.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreetposse
Getting back to the original question, I was just suggesting a nice place to go after the races to have a few cocktails, some good food, and great atmosphere with Jocks or without. I'm sorry BTW that I and apparently quite a few of the members, longstanding or new, are not worthy of expressing our viewpoints in your company.

To this, I say "GOOD DAY!!"

It's a message board. People have a right to comment on what is posted. It is not our concern if you don't like being disagreed with. Nobody was the least bit out of line....other than you with this post perhaps.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
I don't.

Ron Jeremey is not a famous movie actor Andy, cmon.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Ron Jeremey is not a famous movie actor Andy, cmon.
At least spell his name right. The dude has certainly earned that.

Did you see him at Saratoga a couple years ago?
Old 02-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
At least spell his name right. The dude has certainly earned that.

Did you see him at Saratoga a couple years ago?
I don't know him as well as you which is why I can't spell his name right. LOL....No, he was in Toga? Attracting all the heavyweights up there.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:34 PM
top predator.

Quote:
I don't know him as well as you which is why I can't spell his name right. LOL....No, he was in Toga? Attracting all the heavyweights up there.
certainly an apt description for him
Old 02-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:

Yeah, he was there one day in 2005.

Remind me when you see me to tell you the funny related story.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Yeah, he was there one day in 2005.

Remind me when you see me to tell you the funny related story.
Will do.