Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Flemington

There was no extortion, only a Notre Dame cover up.

Notre Dame had 3 weeks to prepare, and this is the best they could do?

priceless
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Keeneland

Further represents what a joke most of the "media" are. All of this time and no one actually bothered to fact check Teo's story? How is that possible?

I realize it's easier to say this now, but no one thought it was odd that one of the most famous college players in the country and starting linebacker for Notre Dame had a girlfriend he never met? Dude could have had his pick of lots of girls and his choice was someone he had never met in person? Guys playing Dungeons and Dragons in their basement all hours of the night have internet girlfriends they haven't met....not famous college football players.

I don't buy any of it and think this is a massive cover up on many levels.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 AM
The Curragh

This girl called him in Orlando from the same number and told him she was alive and tried to restart their relationship. That's when manti went to the school with it. The best rumor I hear people stamping is that manti is gay and this was a sick cover up. Wow
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishofNDMan View Post
This girl called him in Orlando from the same number and told him she was alive and tried to restart their relationship. That's when manti went to the school with it. The best rumor I hear people stamping is that manti is gay and this was a sick cover up. Wow
So you actually believe his story? Hilarious.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Dee Tee Stables

the cynic in me says this is just another athlete trying to work angles for some sort of profit. you know, say...heisman votes in this case? there are so many liars, cheaters and stealers in sports (just like every walk of life) that one more just wouldn't surprise. of course, i always try to give people benefit of the doubt, but this story just reeks.
the timing of the g/f 'dying' at the same time as the grandmother-it just seems too coincidental, too hard to believe. and manti talking about it, like in the youtube interview. it's such a convoluted tale, and i just can't help wondering...it just seems too much to think he knew nothing, that he was so gullible.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
So you actually believe his story? Hilarious.
I will wait until he tells the entire story hopefully today. From watching the athletic directors press conference last night I do believe manti was duped.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Dee Tee Stables

also saw a story where an anonymous teammate said he thinks teo is lying about it. and here's this from si:

Swarbrick says Te'o found out in December that Lennay Kekua was not real. And then ... well, here is a transcript from a Jan. 3 press conference before the national championship game:

Q: Manti, how have the football‑related commotion and excitement of the past year helped you get through the turmoil you've faced with your grandmother and girlfriend? And how have the quiet periods been for you, given you more time to reflect? Is that a good thing or double edged?

MANTI TE'O: I think whenever you're in football, it takes your mind off a lot of things. You know, this team is very special to me, and the guys on it have always been there for me, through the good times and the bad times. I rarely have a quiet time to myself because I always have somebody calling me, asking, do you want to go to the movies. Coach is always calling me asking me, "Are you okay? Do you need anything?" I have three roommates, Zeke, Carlo and Robby Toma, who are always yelling at each other, who's going to play Call of Duty. I'm rarely by myself, and that's how I like it. I'm always around my guys, always around my family.

What do we make of that? Technically, Te'o did not lie. But he did tell a lie of omission -- somebody asked him about his dead girlfriend, and he declined to tell the truth: That she did not exist.

This was a pattern for Te'o. Everybody assumed he met her in person, and he certainly indicated that he did. Swarbrick says when Te'o said "met" he included online communication. By that standard, most men in this country have spent time alone with Kate Upton.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2IFF0cByl
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishofNDMan View Post
I will wait until he tells the entire story hopefully today. From watching the athletic directors press conference last night I do believe manti was duped.
Hasn't he told his story all season? Which one are we to believe?

Take off the fanboy goggles for a second and think about how you would react if this were another player on another team.

You don't think it's a little odd he had a girlfriend for YEARS that he never met? They never spoke via Skype, webcam, etc. Nothing?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Dee Tee Stables

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...the_notre.html

and risk, that picture is hilarious!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Belmont Park

If I were Lance Armstrong, I'd buy him a Ferrari right now.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Hasn't he told his story all season? Which one are we to believe?

Take off the fanboy goggles for a second and think about how you would react if this were another player on another team.

You don't think it's a little odd he had a girlfriend for YEARS that he never met? They never spoke via Skype, webcam, etc. Nothing?
Agreed. How does one in the limelight think that they could pull off such a ruse with the sharks in the media looking for a juicy story?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Dee Tee Stables

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2491638.html
Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Dee Tee Stables

so many stories coming out.

he never met her. he met her once. she went to hawaii...no, wait. she didn't go there. and the story i just linked-perhaps he realized it was a hoax, but continued to use it for sympathy points? or he knew all along.

this story is an onion. has many layers, and it stinks.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
so many stories coming out.

he never met her. he met her once. she went to hawaii...no, wait. she didn't go there. and the story i just linked-perhaps he realized it was a hoax, but continued to use it for sympathy points? or he knew all along.

this story is an onion. has many layers, and it stinks.
And I am drooling waiting for The Onion to spoof it.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Flemington

The worst part for me is that ND knew before the game but still kept the BS going.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkhorse View Post
The worst part for me is that ND knew before the game but still kept the BS going.
Gotta admit that I couldn't care less about the whole scenario. But I don't blame ND for not exposing this BEFORE the championship game.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Gotta admit that I couldn't care less about the whole scenario. But I don't blame ND for not exposing this BEFORE the championship game.
i don't either. and i'm sure they're not thrilled it came out now. it's an interesting story, but by no means an important one.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 AM
The Curragh

Why would manti fake a relationship for 3 years? Was he planning all along to kill her off for publicity in the end?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 AM
The Curragh

What about the cardinals fullback who said he met her before manti? Lots of questions that need answers.