Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Agreed

Though the NBA (office/Stern) comes out of this looking terrible. Of course Gordon will probably be bolting in 2 years as well. As for the vaunted draft pick the Kings drafted 1 and 3 in recent years, had one of those picks win the RoY and they are still a weak team.
Some drafts are better than others. The Wizards took Kwame Brown first one year the draft was that bad. RoY isn't a big deal when the draft class isn't that good. It ususally goes to a player on a bad team that gets a lot of minutes. I wouldn't take Evans for even James Harden, picked one spot ahead. That was Blake Griffin and then a big drop. Since Griffin didn't play, somebody had to win it.

This year's draft is very good.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
This is such a good trade for the Hornets. Clippers are insane IMO. Paul is clearly a superstar, but is there enough around them to contend for a Championship? I say no shot. They can contend for a playoff spot, but so do 20 other teams. The Hornets potentially got 2 stars out of this. Gordon and the pick. I predict that pick ends up being a top 3 pick.
That isn't exactly a bold prediction.

The Clippers are a lock for the playoffs. They aren't just contending for one. The problem is Paul will probably bolt in two years, probably for the Knicks.

The Lakers are in trouble. They were exposed last year, and the one really consistent player is now gone (other than Kobe, of course). Kobe is not the guy he once was either obviously. I hear a lot about Howard, but I don't see him leading a team to a title. He would have to be the second best player, so they better do a trade soon.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
That isn't exactly a bold prediction.

The Clippers are a lock for the playoffs. They aren't just contending for one. The problem is Paul will probably bolt in two years, probably for the Knicks.

The Lakers are in trouble. They were exposed last year, and the one really consistent player is now gone (other than Kobe, of course). Kobe is not the guy he once was either obviously. I hear a lot about Howard, but I don't see him leading a team to a title. He would have to be the second best player, so they better do a trade soon.

We can agree on the bottom line. The Clippers have the much better future as long as they resign Paul. I just dont like how they got that future giving up Gordon and the pick. I think you and I are the ones who have said 10x now how big this draft is going to be. The Clippers had a better future then the Lakers before they pulled the trigger on this trade. It feels like Kobes window is 2 years tops, and thats if they get another star. The Clippers could have let the Lakers give up 3 players for Paul and still have had a competitive team now and a bright future. When I told Chuck 2 weeks ago I dont love Howard he told me hes the best big in the league. He might be the best big in this league with no other bigs, but I have not seen any offensive skill out of the guy yet. I know hes only 26 though and does a lot of other things. I doubt he can ever win a title alone. He needs another superstar to feed him.

Last edited by RockHardTen1985 : 12-15-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
Some drafts are better than others. The Wizards took Kwame Brown first one year the draft was that bad. RoY isn't a big deal when the draft class isn't that good. It ususally goes to a player on a bad team that gets a lot of minutes. I wouldn't take Evans for even James Harden, picked one spot ahead. That was Blake Griffin and then a big drop. Since Griffin didn't play, somebody had to win it.

This year's draft is very good.
This years class may be good compared to recent drafts I agree. But the draft is not like it was when college players stayed 3 or 4 years. Busts are easier to come by and there seems to be no international players this year. The positive is that you get control of the players for roughly 6 years so if you draft well you can build around core guys. The negative is you are drafting guys with 20 odd games of experiences against pretty soft for the most part competition.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
We can agree on the bottom line. The Clippers have the much better future as long as they resign Paul. I just dont like how they got that future giving up Gordon and the pick. I think you and I are the ones who have said 10x now how big this draft is going to be. The Clippers had a better future then the Lakers before they pulled the trigger on this trade. It feels like Kobes window is 2 years tops, and thats if they get another star. The Clippers could have let the Lakers give up 3 players for Paul and still have had a competitive team now and a bright future. When I told Chuck 2 weeks ago I dont love Howard he told me hes the best big in the league. He might be the best big in this league with no other bigs, but I have not seen any offensive skill out of the guy yet. I know hes only 26 though and does a lot of other things. I doubt he can ever win a title alone. He needs another superstar to feed him.
A draft being deep is not that signifigant for teams drafting high as they only get 1 guy and who cares if the #12 guy is a good player when you are drafting 3rd.

The Clippers arent competing against the Lakers. The Clippers are trying to get to the playoffs and stop being a joke. They were on their way and the CP3 trade gets them there faster.

Dwight Howard is by far the best player at his position. He avg 23 and 14. He is a 3 time defensive player of the year. Last year he added the Tim Duncan bank shot and a little baseline move. Watch a game or two and you will see.

The entire superstar thing is bs.
"You need 2 superstars to win a title"
Uh no you dont. Examples?
Dallas Mavs 2011
San Antonio Spurs 2007
Detroit Pistons 2004

Howard needs better players around him to win a title but who doesn't? Look at the Magic teams lately? They were so desperate they traded for a washed up Areanas who had the worst contract in pro sports. Howard is still a poor FT shooter, he always seems to get a stupid foul every game. He still hasnt grasped the concept of blocking the shot to keep possession of the ball. But he aint Kenyon Martin and if you put the proper pieces around him he can be your best player. I'm pretty sure if the Pistons of 2004 had him in his current form as their Center they would have done just fine.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Sha Tin

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/...742.php#page-1