Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-23-2019, 04:01 PM
The Curragh

Default ROI Results 9/21 @ Parx

Saturday was a walk in the Parx for two players and a trek through quicksand for the rest
of us. Only two tickets were cashed but they were pretty substantial winners. Cal gets
the number two slot with a trifecta featuring Math Wizard on top and collected almost
$274 for his two winning tickets in the Pennsylvania Derby. There is a saying "don't
bring a knife to a gun fight". When you go head to head with Roamin you had better
heed that cause he carries a bazooka. Once again Tom hits a double digit winner and
came out on top in a big way. In the Cotillion Tom bet against the big girls and when
Street Band crossed the finish line first Roamin was $650 richer. Congrats Roamin on
your ROI win and a continuing great year picking the ponies. Following are the unofficial
results pending a stewards inquiry. See you all next week wherever JB sends us.

WIN... Roamin... +$650.00... RACE 10 $80 WIN $20 PLACE #3... $750.00

PLACE... Cal828... +$173.90... R11 Tri $1 1,2,4,5//6//1,2,4,5... $273.90

Real Quiet -$47.40

Joly B -$99.00

Cruzan -$100.00

Ruffian -$100.00

Indian Hemp -$100.00

NJ Stinks -$100.00

Plenilune -$100.00
Old 09-24-2019, 11:03 AM
Oriental Park

Tom, congrats on yet another impressive ROI win. I do hope that you are backing these superb picks up with real $$. Any time you choose to conduct a seminar on finding a strong contender at a generous price (especially around BC time), please let me know and I'll sign up.

I feel a little guilty being the one to choose this Saturday's venue when your win in the ROI shows much more real handicapping skill than a points win might. Is it worth discussing whether for at least part of next season the ROI winner should have the privilege of choosing the next venue?
Old 09-24-2019, 11:52 AM
Havre de Grace

It probably wouldn't make much difference to me personally since I think I have about the same number of ROI wins as I do Points wins(which in neither case is very many ), but I do agree that ROI seems to be the more important of the two, but maybe not to everybody. I would be fine with basing the choice on the ROI, if that is what the majority chooses.

Everyone should be forewarned though that I intend to win more in the coming year now that I have my "learning" year out of the way. Of course reality usually doesn't cooperate with my delusions of grandeur.

Last edited by cal828 : 09-24-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:09 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

JolyB, I stay with the class races . Stakes and so on. I don't do very well in the points races because I don't spend a lot of time on them. My main attraction are the Stakes or very high allowances. Class horses usually run true to form but there are some that will suprise you. Then other factors are trainers, running style and pedigree.. Blood line is important but not always. Remember Secretariat and The triple crown filly Chris Everrit ?
No better blood line than that. Well after they were bred their 1st offspring was a filly called "Six Crowns" and turned out to be a bust But she was the dam of Chiefs Crown I am not that good just been doing this a long time, 60 yrs or so, So over the years I guess I picked up some knowledge. Have a good day my friend. Roamin

Last edited by Roamin42 : 09-24-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

JolyB, as far as changing the format here is not something I would change. I am happy the way things are, I don't care what venue is chosen, I am just happy to compete with in here but my main focus is the ROI. By the way I did not have the C note on Street Band but I did place $30 WIN/ $10 PLACE> Cha Ching-$$$$$.lol
Old 09-24-2019, 01:49 PM
Havre de Grace

I too had a couple of bucks on my play this past weekend and got a nice return. I don't usually bet my plays, but I thought Math Wizard's odds were a bit ridiculous. Must admit I didn't think he could beat Mr. Money after that one beat him twice, but I thought he might be able to beat Improbable and War of Will and could spice up the tri, if he finished second or third. Both WOW and Improbable were grade one winners, but their numbers at a mile and an 1/8th didn't look any better than Math Wizard. Actually, I think War of Will's looked worse and Improbable is a horse that seems to find trouble, usually getting out of the gate. So anyway, I won some money back for my ADW account and now I'm locked and loaded for the BC! Bring it on!!
Old 09-24-2019, 02:14 PM
Oriental Park

Roamin and Cal, congrats to you both. It great to see that the time spent in 'capping the races for our contests can lead to increased balances in ADW accounts. Certainly makes the investment of time worthwhile.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:43 PM
The Curragh

Default Interesting Idea

Perhaps next season we might have a Year- Long ROI MATCH RACE
Between the two longshot aficionados
RUFFIAN and ROAMIN

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com