Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

if convicted he should be out of football.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltagulf
if convicted he should be out of football.
i think without question he will be out if convicted. as well as hopefully serving a prison term!
no one has said, but i'd imagine every dog they found has been or will be euthanized. standard practice any more with pit bulls. so sad that a breed has been so twisted--and for entertainment no less!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
probably a spectator in college, and then got to move to the 'big time' when he had the funds. would explain having that property, and a family member to stay on top of things--feed those poor dogs.

i read in another article that there had been complaints for years about that place-shame they didn't get to it before now. but then, when you see the reactions from so many, maybe not such a surprise. seems a lot of people think it's no big deal. or not big enough.
U know what is interesting is the geographical split among those that think it is a big deal and those that don't think it's that big of one. Personally, I don't like dogs at all and don't find it to be a big deal. But then again, I am also from the South and I think it's a little bit more a part of the culture down there. While I don't think it's a big deal, I do respect the law and say that if he's guilty of breaking it, he should get the same penalty anyone else would.

What do people think of this latest info that the DA in the county where the house is is not going to indict?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 07-23-2007, 07:02 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
U know what is interesting is the geographical split among those that think it is a big deal and those that don't think it's that big of one. Personally, I don't like dogs at all and don't find it to be a big deal. But then again, I am also from the South and I think it's a little bit more a part of the culture down there. While I don't think it's a big deal, I do respect the law and say that if he's guilty of breaking it, he should get the same penalty anyone else would.

What do people think of this latest info that the DA in the county where the house is is not going to indict?
not so sure about the geography deal--athletes all over the country in the last few years have been in trouble for dog fighting, including a player for the portland trailblazers. it's not limited to the south, or the east coast. all states made it illegal, i can't help but think a state wouldn't make a needless law--if they had no dog fighters, why would you need a law?

the below is an excerpt from an article from a few years ago, from the humane society:

According to press reports, Woods allegedly abandoned his injured pit bull after the dog was reportedly wounded in an illegal dog fight. Based on those allegations, the Oregon Humane Society and the Clackamas County Sheriff’s deputies searched Woods’ home for evidence of dog fighting last Monday. Charges have not been filed in the case. Dog fighting is illegal in all 50 states, and a felony offense in 48 states, including Oregon. If charged and convicted of dog fighting, Woods could face up to five years in prison and a $100,000 fine.

Recent years have seen an upward spike in dog fighting among professional athletes. Former NFL running back LeShon Johnson is facing prison time in Oklahoma for his alleged involvement in dog fighting. Former Dallas Cowboys lineman Nate Newton was once arrested at a dog fight. Former Oakland Raider Tyrone Wheatley even once bragged about having sold dogs for fighting.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
You don't think that training dogs to fight and then killing them if they don't fight well is a big deal? Good to know.
No more than training horses to race and when they don't race well, sending them to a slaughterhouse. The point I was making was that there is an obvious geographical split on this issue. Just like cock-fighting. These two issues are not outrageous to a lot of Southerners. It's more an accepted part of their culture than it is for Northerners. I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong, only how we view it.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 07-23-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
not so sure about the geography deal--athletes all over the country in the last few years have been in trouble for dog fighting, including a player for the portland trailblazers. it's not limited to the south, or the east coast. all states made it illegal, i can't help but think a state wouldn't make a needless law--if they had no dog fighters, why would you need a law?

the below is an excerpt from an article from a few years ago, from the humane society:

According to press reports, Woods allegedly abandoned his injured pit bull after the dog was reportedly wounded in an illegal dog fight. Based on those allegations, the Oregon Humane Society and the Clackamas County Sheriff’s deputies searched Woods’ home for evidence of dog fighting last Monday. Charges have not been filed in the case. Dog fighting is illegal in all 50 states, and a felony offense in 48 states, including Oregon. If charged and convicted of dog fighting, Woods could face up to five years in prison and a $100,000 fine.

Recent years have seen an upward spike in dog fighting among professional athletes. Former NFL running back LeShon Johnson is facing prison time in Oklahoma for his alleged involvement in dog fighting. Former Dallas Cowboys lineman Nate Newton was once arrested at a dog fight. Former Oakland Raider Tyrone Wheatley even once bragged about having sold dogs for fighting.
I'm not saying it's limited to the South, just more prevelant. The guy first mentioned, Woods of the Blazers? He's from the deep South. Mississippi I believe. I don't know where the other guys are from but remember, most athletes don't play in the area of the country where they are from.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
No more than training horses to race and when they don't race well, sending them to a slaughterhouse. The point I was making was that there is an obvious geographical split on this issue. Just like cock-fighting. These two issues are not outrageous to a lot of Southerners. It's more an accepted part of their culture than it is for Northerners. I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong, only how we view it.
as for the cockfighting, louisiana FINALLY made it illegal, the last state to do so.

again, comparing horse racing to dog fighting is silly imo. horses naturally run, dogs do not naturally fight. nor do horses run to the death. and of course horses don't always end up in a slaughterhouse--hopefully that is by and large the exception and not the rule!
it's not a geographical split. it's a nationwide issue, which currently has brought the spotlight on virginia, and due to vick being a Falcon, on atlanta.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I'm not saying it's limited to the South, just more prevelant. The guy first mentioned, Woods of the Blazers? He's from the deep South. Mississippi I believe. I don't know where the other guys are from but remember, most athletes don't play in the area of the country where they are from.
i did try to find where he was from--but keep in mind the charges were brought in oregon, where he had plenty of willing spectators at a fight in which his dog played a part. i doubt everyone at the fight was from mississippi.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:16 PM

I'm not towing the line. I've said that I don't think it's wrong morally. But it's against the law. Because it's against the law, I am in favor of penalizing him just as anyone else would be penalized.

And again, I'm not saying that to everyone in the North, it's bad and to everyone in the South it's ok. I'm just saying in general, that's the attitude.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I'm not towing the line. I've said that I don't think it's wrong morally. But it's against the law. Because it's against the law, I am in favor of penalizing him just as anyone else would be penalized.

And again, I'm not saying that to everyone in the North, it's bad and to everyone in the South it's ok. I'm just saying in general, that's the attitude.

how is it morally ok? to take an animal that naturally is a pack animal, who craves to be with and work with its own kind, mans best friend and all that, and force it to go against its very nature--and either kill or die? chained, beaten, electrocuted, slammed against the ground, hanged...it's disgusting. and that's not even talking about what the dog goes thru in a fight itself. it's horrible.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Dee Tee Stables

also, in another article, dogs from at least six states were brought in to fight, including new york. it's not just geography, this mindset can occur anywhere. the perception is there, which is a shame. but then, you really don't have to THINK, to delve deep if you just say oh, that's down there. it's not regional, cruelty sadly is world wide.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Thanks for clearing everything up. So are all animals okay to kill or just dogs?
I don't see animals as precious. If that makes me a bad person, that's your opinion. Would I raise dogs to fight and kill them? No, never. I wouldn't personally kill any animals. But it just doesn't bother me when it happens. Where I grew up, I knew plenty of people that were involved in it. It was just an accepted part of the way things were. Whether it was right or wrong wasn't the issue but there was a certain level of tolerance and acceptance. Remember, it wasn't always against the law and as Danzig just pointed out, Louisiana finally made cockfighting illegal and was the last state to do so. The overall attitude in general in the South is more accepting of it than in the North. I want the law to be respected and upheld but I'm just not outraged or even bothered by the actions.