Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Quality Road is a cross between Lemon Drop Kid and Bertrando, meaning he's tailing off and can't get the distance.

Blame in a normal year would be under-the-radar very much like previous winners Wild Again, Skywalker, and Awesome Again. And yet he's one of the "big 4".

Lookin At Lucky is about as accomplished as Louis Quatorze or Birdstone were, neither of whom were heavily backed in their respective Classics.

Pepper's Pride was never considered for the BC Classic and almost certainly would have been a longshot if she had, not a major player.
QR--- Because you say so?

Blame--- Im against, but the Foster and Whitney winner is under the radar?

L@L--- Is about ready to explode, TRUST.

4th- I wont comment on this filth.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:50 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
4th- I wont comment on this filth.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
QR--- Because you say so?
No, I was thinking of last year's Travers and Jockey Club Gold Cup; and comparing his races this summer with those from this winter and spring.

He'd need a Black Tie Affair-type setup to win I think. As it stands, a runner-up finish after getting rundown in the last 1/16th seems like his ceiling.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 AM
Fairgrounds

This is actually a nice line-up; but the Bears won Super Bowl XX 25 years ago and look where they (and the rest of the NFL) are now. (In other words, the BC has not been around that long so WTF cares?).
Old 10-26-2010, 06:28 AM
Dee Tee Stables

it's a sad commentary of how things are with this sport if blame, qr, zenyatta and lookin at lucky are considered a strong group. they are the best this year, doesn't mean they are particularly good-especially when one considers past top horses coming into a bc. i like blame, but only because of who he's facing off against, not because i think he's at all comparable to past top horses.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Woodbine

someone wrote it...it must be true.......give me a break its an "average" year.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Quality Road is a cross between Lemon Drop Kid and Bertrando, meaning he's tailing off and can't get the distance.

Blame in a normal year would be under-the-radar very much like previous winners Wild Again, Skywalker, and Awesome Again. And yet he's one of the "big 4".

Lookin At Lucky is about as accomplished as Louis Quatorze or Birdstone were, neither of whom were heavily backed in their respective Classics.

Pepper's Pride was never considered for the BC Classic and almost certainly would have been a longshot if she had, not a major player.
That is a pretty harsh condemnation of Looking At Lucky, don't you think? The only thing LQ and LAL have in common is that they both won the Preakness. LAL is a 5 time Grade 1 winner, who, like many others before him did not luck into winning the most over-hyped race in the game, The Kentucky Derby. What else has this horse done wrong?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLuvForPletch View Post
That is a pretty harsh condemnation of Looking At Lucky, don't you think? The only thing LQ and LAL have in common is that they both won the Preakness. LAL is a 5 time Grade 1 winner, who, like many others before him did not luck into winning the most over-hyped race in the game, The Kentucky Derby. What else has this horse done wrong?
On their best days, I honestly doubt Lookin at Lucky could come close to Louis Quatorze. I think you should take a good look at his pps. Louis ran some VERY big races, in some VERY big races, at a time when there were some VERY good horses racing.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Flemington

Don't they say this every year?

Not even half as good as the last at Churchill.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Don't they say this every year?

Not even half as good as the last at Churchill.
Bernardini and Invasor would drown this bunch. And Premium Tap would fill out the tri again.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
On their best days, I honestly doubt Lookin at Lucky could come close to Louis Quatorze. I think you should take a good look at his pps. Louis ran some VERY big races, in some VERY big races, at a time when there were some VERY good horses racing.
You mean he would have stacked up well against First Dude, Super Saver, Trappe Shot, and Thisskyhasnolimit?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
You mean he would have stacked up well against First Dude, Super Saver, Trappe Shot, and Thisskyhasnolimit?
It's scary to compare some of the 1996 3YOs to this bunch. Skip Away? Unbridled Song? Louis Quatorze? Will's Way?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:22 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
You mean the Indiana Derby doesn't float your boat? Jeez.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Oaklawn

Unbridled's Song in full disclosure is one of my favorite horses evah... but with a different owner and better feet, I always wonder how far he could have gone. He turned for home in the Derby like the next best thing. Oh well.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Gulfstream Park

Some of you guys better hope they get to the big mare in this one....................

20 for 20 … 3 Cups

On the brink of horse racing IMMORTALITY

By the way, pretty funny to see guys who wholeheartedly backed RA for HotY … when her biggest accomplishment was barely hanging on against the 6 for 24 Macho Again … now all of sudden talking about and dissing strength of competition.

In fact, it's downright HILARIOUS…
Old 10-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
Unbridled's Song in full disclosure is one of my favorite horses evah... but with a different owner and better feet, I always wonder how far he could have gone. He turned for home in the Derby like the next best thing. Oh well.
He has done more to destroy the breed than any other horse in history. Like crossing a Ford Pinto with a Delorian.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Operator View Post
Some of you guys better hope they get to the big mare in this one....................

20 for 20 … 3 Cups

On the brink of horse racing IMMORTALITY

By the way, pretty funny to see guys who wholeheartedly backed RA for HotY … when her biggest accomplishment was barely hanging on against the 6 for 24 Macho Again … now all of sudden talking about and dissing strength of competition.

In fact, it's downright HILARIOUS…
Now I need more TUMS.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Randwyck

I don't feel it's the strongest field in the last 10 years but what I do see is that there are four horses who have never run a poor race in their careers.
Similar to 2007 when four horses were superior on paper to the remainder of the field and Awesome Gem clunked up in the picture. The difference that year was that three of the four big names were 3YOs.

As much as Zenyatta has been overhyped there is still a tendency to under appreciate not only her but all of the major players because they are in the here and now. Looking back in the past we have the benefit of assessing completed careers of horses who at the time of their appearance in major races didnt necessarily make the fields they were in strong, but subsequently went on to establish themselves.

Maybe it's me but I don't get the hyperbole or the criticism.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Where's Hovdey? I'm sure he can say something even dumber than this.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
Where's Hovdey? I'm sure he can say something even dumber than this.
It's funny you say this. Originally when I was reading it I figured it was him, then I had to look back at the author...Of course Hovdey is busy taking pictures with Zenyatta in the winner's circle so...