Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Woodbine

siros is a good place to party but i wouldn't eat there. the wishing well is excellent as been already stated. breakfast at beverlys is good, my son cooks there, its on phila st. i like italian food. if you do too go to augies in ballston spa. its family style and the food is great.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:31 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny pinwheel
siros is a good place to party but i wouldn't eat there. the wishing well is excellent as been already stated. breakfast at beverlys is good, my son cooks there, its on phila st. i like italian food. if you do too go to augies in ballston spa. its family style and the food is great.
You wouldn't eat at Siro's but the Wishing Well is excellent.

Your son cooks at Bev's?

I'm speaking to Michael.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Woodbine

don't get me wrong, siros is good, i have friends there. but its always a mob seen. i don't like being crowded when i eat. after the 9th its a mass exodus to that place. i go there to drink and hear the band , if you are a tourist, i guess it would be different .
Old 07-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Del Mar

LOL. I know Michael too.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny pinwheel
don't get me wrong, siros is good, i have friends there. but its always a mob seen. i don't like being crowded when i eat. after the 9th its a mass exodus to that place. i go there to drink and hear the band , if you are a tourist, i guess it would be different .
I'm not a tourist. I grew up in Saratoga, moving there in 1973 when I was 11, and I have spent every racing season of my life there since then. My parents still live there.

I do agree that the restaurant is a mob scene however and eat there infrequently. I drink there every day after the races and try NOT to hear the bands.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I'm not a tourist. I grew up in Saratoga, moving there in 1973 when I was 11, and I have spent every racing season of my life there since then. My parents still live there.

I do agree that the restaurant is a mob scene however and eat there infrequently. I drink there every day after the races and try NOT to hear the bands.
me too, my folks moved here in 1969. the only time i left was during my navy career. grew up on north street, about 6 blocks from the track. started "sneaking bets" when i was 15. when someone asks me about dinner i'm not going to send them to the obvious places like siros,broadway or caroline st. i actually avoid eating at those during the season just because of the crowds. and bev's is good for breakfast. juniors been working there since he was 14. he started as a dishwasher and has done every job in there. so if you've eaten there you've probably seen or met him . he's been there longer than everyone next to michael himself. with a name like blackthroatedwind i thought you might like live music. whats wrong with the bands at siros?
Old 07-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Jerome Park

How many times can you listen to Mustang Sally? It is nice to see that someone here has heard, or heard of, Black Throated Wind. Now if Siro's had a band that played that.....

Last edited by blackthroatedwind : 07-17-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Del Mar

Black-
Its crazy, I cant stand the cover bands Siros passes off as entertainment either! Mustang Sally brings me a migraine. Last thing I want to hear after a losing day at the track.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Jerome Park

I think it's unfortunate they only want cover bands and won't hire bands that play their own material but I guess that's what their customers want. To be honest, though, the music doesn't affect me one way or the other and I enjoy going there after the races.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Del Mar

I only go if I am entertaining out of town guests and they must go to Siros, which is understandable given its reputation as a "must go place". I am not a big drinker, I'd rather go home and eat, exercise, or read tomorrow's form.
On the occasion I want to have a few pops, I much prefer tailgating with close friends or there is this small hot dog/hamburger stand which sells beer immediately when you leave the Nelson Ave exit, its right by Siros. The prices are much better and the people that hang there arent nearly as pretentious.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Hollywood Park

Default Siros an overlay

Went to Siro's last year and thought it was definitely not worth what one paid for.

Definitely an overlay....
Old 07-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Del Mar

You talking dinner or drinks?
I can see how someone may think $7 for 1 can of Corona or Heineken may be too much.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:23 PM
harvhorse

Many thanks for your reccomendations. I will deffinatly see you at the track.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Let's be honest, folks ...

... there are no good restaurants in Saratoga.

There are plenty of places which serve wholesome, sanitary food ... which will satiate your hunger ... and sometimes empty your wallet ... but none of it is "good" in terms of being much better than what you could rustle up yourself at home ... or get in your local hometown restaurants.

Saratoga ... like England ... has many wonderful attractions ... but good food isn't one of them.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Keeneland

they got a Mr Beef now in Park Ridge if that helps.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Keeneland

anyone ever heard of the Grey Gelding restaurant. My business partner met the owner and had an incredible time with him a couple of weeks back. That's definately going to be one stop but of course the boys from Chicago will be a Kapset's place daily at the track.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Del Mar

Yes the Gray Gelding is a new restaurant/bar on the main street here. Walked by it the other night, looks nice. They have the horse theme going on there.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Miller

You said you haven't been there in twenty years. If you went to a good spot then there is a good chance that some of the ones that make the yearly pilgramage will still be asking for you. For me it was "The Well" and "Chez Pierre".
Have to admit that without "Mary" and "Pete" at the "Well" things weren't as good for us. Still find Pete when we hit the bars in town.

To tell ourselves we had a little class we went to the "Gideon" for breakfast one of the mornings we were there. For more class we always had a stop at "The Mexican Connection" after going in and checking out horses at "Greentree".
Unfortunately for me my age caught up to me but my younger buddies still go and are still enjoying the old standbys and many of the other suggestions already mentioned in other posts. I can only reminisce.
Your Tues to Thurs stay will pretty well allow you to go wherever you want.
Enjoy!!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Suffolk Downs

As A Carolinian,

I can vouch for Carolina Barbeque as best food on the grounds. Authentic and real, served with a touch of class that is not found any where else on the grounds, period!!

I don't want to acknowledge any of you New "Yawkers" who claim they know anything about food just because you're a New "Yawker" . You guys are way too close minded and think way too highly of the NEY York Experience as being the best of this or that (and I mean NYC people not the upstaters). I travel around the USA and World, and grew up as a NEW YAWKER. I respect it, and it has provided me an invaluable experience but....Get over yourselves, it's not the only place in the world that has good food or provides an great experience. Paris, Munich, Milan, Rome, Barcellona, Frankfurt,Tokyo..Chicago..LA.. Phoeinix, ..even Charlotte NC has very good places to dine

Bottom Line is I love NY and respect it. However, please understand the world does not begin and end in NYC alone. Live and experience the rest of the world a little bit.

In fact, strange as it may sound I've had my best meal Italian in Munich Germany in a small place called Picolit....

NC Tony

Last edited by NoCarolinaTony : 07-19-2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Keeneland

I want to thank you for not including London which has to have the worst food for a major city.