Steve Byk

Default Zayat and Romans split

Thorn Song to Mike Mitchell.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Churchill Downs

Tough guy to please.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Oaklawn

Thorn Song is a likeable horse and Romans has done a decent job, but Romans overall hasn't been up to the level of the better trainers.

Separate from Thorn Song, Zayat has given him a lot of animals with good early speed that you can pretty much assume will quit and will not develop stamina.

Mitchell is a good move up trainer. You get the impression he has his runners pain-free.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

after winning out West he might have wanted to keep him there with a local trainer especially with the B.C. there.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fischer
Thorn Song is a likeable horse and Romans has done a decent job, but Romans overall hasn't been up to the level of the better trainers.

Separate from Thorn Song, Zayat has given him a lot of animals with good early speed that you can pretty much assume will quit and will not develop stamina.

Mitchell is a good move up trainer. You get the impression he has his runners pain-free.
Name some of those animals.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:

This is devoid of anything bordering on an accurate interpretation of the dynamic involved between 'Team Zayat' and the unfortunate horse trainers that work for them.

Last edited by Kasept : 07-08-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
This is a completely inane post devoid of anything bordering on an accurate interpretation of the dynamic involved between 'Team Zayat' and the unfortunate horse trainers that work for them. Try to refrain from these going forward. I know it's a lot to ask...

Romans runs a folding horse.

Zayat gives the appearance that he gets fleeced at the sales, and has had enough publicized and private missteps that further make him look incompetent.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Who would these be? Perhaps, someone like a Bill Mott. Oh, yeah, Zayat fired him about thirteen months after Mott won a ridiculous number of races for him at the 2007 Saratoga meet.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Oriental Park

What gives?

Didn't Romans win with Eaton's Gift yesterday?
Old 07-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
This is devoid of anything bordering on an accurate interpretation of the dynamic involved between 'Team Zayat' and the unfortunate horse trainers that work for them.
Another guy of the BYK Shytt list huh? I guess anybody who is new to the game and spends 200plus mil is automatically on it?

BTW none of the unfortunate horse trainers had a gun to their head to take millions in high profile stock.. Remember they had a choice and hence the "dynamic" was something that they should have dealt with in advance.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Monmouth Park

What about Baffert?
Old 07-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Del Mar

Kind of funny that these two teamed up to win with the very hard to figure Eaton's Gift yesterday in the Smile Sprint. Going away present I guess.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
Another guy of the BYK Shytt list huh? I guess anybody who is new to the game and spends 200plus mil is automatically on it?

BTW none of the unfortunate horse trainers had a gun to their head to take millions in high profile stock.. Remember they had a choice and hence the "dynamic" was something that they should have dealt with in advance.
The trainers that deal with Zayat are actually at the mercy of his stable manager. Zayat himself is a very nice guy who seems to really enjoy the game.

Last edited by Kasept : 07-13-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
The trainers that deal with Zayat are actually at the mercy of his stable manager. Zayat himself is a very nice guy who seems to really enjoy the game.

I am glad you said that I Had been thinking that this Whole thread.

Last edited by Kasept : 07-13-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Churchill Downs

Kinda of off topic but Zayat had one claimed today at Pleasanton (Benjamin Z in the 6th) - Zayat bought the horse for $950,000 and lost it today in a $8,000 claiming race - it was claimed by Ellen Jackson, a trainer/breeder who will probably turn him to stud sooner rather than later.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi
What gives? Didn't Romans win with Eaton's Gift yesterday?
Last one with Romans who had been shopping for a spot with him the last few weekends. We'll see if they let Romans keep him now or still move him.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms
Who would these be? Perhaps, someone like a Bill Mott. Oh, yeah, Zayat fired him about thirteen months after Mott won a ridiculous number of races for him at the 2007 Saratoga meet.

Didn't the Marlins fire their manager after he was named Manager of the Year? Nothing against Mott he is a Hall of Fame trainer, perhaps Zayat and or his team thought they would be better off elsewhwere? The point is who cares? It's Zayat's business and his investment is our enjoyment and the trainers, breeders, and bloodstocks agent's livelihood.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Washington Park

Default $950,000 Johannesburg 2007 purchase; claimed for 8K

I guess this kind of stuff happens all over, but this spread is one of the more dramatic I've noted.

Benjamin Z was purchased for $950,000 in March of 2007. As best I can tell, the 2nd highest price of that Barrett's sale.

Racing at the Pleasanton Fair yesterday as a 4 year old, he was claimed racing with an $8,000 tag.

He did win the race, picking up a check for $4500.

He went off at .50.

DerbyCat and I talked about it as we looked at the race.

I guess the bigger story might have been if he had not been claimed.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Thorn Song to Mike Mitchell.
Christine w/ TVG reported that Thorn Song would be equipped with a different style of blinkers in the Eddie Read. I wonder what Zayat thought about this change when Thorn Song bolted on the clubhouse turn of the Eddie Read.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:14 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
Didn't the Marlins fire their manager after he was named Manager of the Year? Nothing against Mott he is a Hall of Fame trainer, perhaps Zayat and or his team thought they would be better off elsewhwere? The point is who cares? It's Zayat's business and his investment is our enjoyment and the trainers, breeders, and bloodstocks agent's livelihood.
I especially love the Zayat horse, Sir Mott, who is now with Dutrow. Classic.