Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Saratoga

Default Wynn Handicapping Challange

If I remember right, a few months ago, I believe I read a post about DT's very own Pointman winning a seat to the Wynn Handicapping Contest. I want to extend my wishes to Nick for a successful contest and a great time. Send us an update Nick on your standings and hope you have a safe trip. Good Luck!!

Anyone else going...let the board know so we can cheer you guys/girls on. GLA!
Billy
Old 07-28-2015, 06:38 PM
Fairgrounds

I will be there. This has been one of my best contests over the years so it is always on my calendar.

Paul
Old 07-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Saratoga

Billy, thank for remembering! I will be going for the contest flying out of NY on Thursday. Hope there are other DTer's who will be there.

I will try to keep you guys updated, hopefully I have gotten the string of losers I have had lately out of my system!
Old 07-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Del Mar

Fantastic you guys. Just getting into Touneys and hope one day to see you at one of these. I know several DT'ers have made some great scores, especially you Paul.

GOOD LUCK!

Spyder
Old 07-29-2015, 08:11 AM
Saratoga

Hey Nick... Good Luck
Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Del Mar

Good Luck Paul and Nick!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Saratoga

Good luck Paul, Nick!!!
Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
hopefully I have gotten the string of losers I have had lately out of my system!
Let go of this hopefully crap ... you HAVE gotten them out of your system. Now go and be confident and kill it, Nick!

Good luck to you too, Paul.

I think, between the two of you, you'll have the heads of the other cappers spinning so fast they'll all look like Exorcist dolls. They won't know wtf hit them.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:10 AM
Saratoga

Thanks everyone! Hopefully both or at least one of us can make a run at this contest. Good luck Paul!
Old 08-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Saratoga

I appreciate all the well wishes coming into this tournament.

Thursday was a nightmare with my flight delayed for over 1 1/2 hours. To make matters worse, I really didn't have time to handicap and planned on doing it on the plane on the way to Vegas, but after the attendants reset the wi-fi three times it became apparent the we were not getting wi-fi on the flight. Didn't get into Vegas until 10 pm and had to cram handicapping for Day 1.

Day 1 was a disaster for me, good handicapping, very bad playing. I finished in 142 place out of 208 entries with an overall score of $41.10.

I was determined to put it behind me last night, learn from my mistakes and go for the single day prize money for the second day and handicapped my butt off.

Day 2 was a very different day, starting and ending with winners and a few in between, plus a few seconds. I thought I would be short even though I had a big day (there is no leaderboard posted at this tournament) with $185.60 overall in wagers (missing my one wager to double the bet each day) but ended up finishing 4th overall for day 2 for a little over $6K prize money much to my shock! To boot, even more to my shock, I finished 11th overall for another prize of almost $2,800! It has been an absolute blast!

Not quite jms play, but not too shabby!
Old 08-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Del Mar

Quote:

Thursday was a nightmare with my flight delayed for over 1 1/2 hours. To make matters worse, I really didn't have time to handicap and planned on doing it on the plane on the way to Vegas, but after the attendants reset the wi-fi three times it became apparent the we were not getting wi-fi on the flight. Didn't get into Vegas until 10 pm and had to cram handicapping for Day 1.

Day 1 was a disaster for me, good handicapping, very bad playing. I finished in 142 place out of 208 entries with an overall score of $41.10.

I was determined to put it behind me last night, learn from my mistakes and go for the single day prize money for the second day and handicapped my butt off.

Day 2 was a very different day, starting and ending with winners and a few in between, plus a few seconds. I thought I would be short even though I had a big day (there is no leaderboard posted at this tournament) with $185.60 overall in wagers (missing my one wager to double the bet each day) but ended up finishing 4th overall for day 2 for a little over $6K prize money much to my shock! To boot, even more to my shock, I finished 11th overall for another prize of almost $2,800! It has been an absolute blast!

Nice job Nick!
Old 08-02-2015, 04:49 AM
Saratoga

Quote:

Day 2 was a very different day, starting and ending with winners and a Ufew in between, plus a few seconds. I thought I would be short even though I had a big day (there is no leaderboard posted at this tournament) with $185.60 overall in wagers (missing my one wager to double the bet each day) but ended up finishing 4th overall for day 2 for a little over $6K prize money much to my shock! To boot, even more to my shock, I finished 11th overall for another prize of almost $2,800! It has been an absolute blast!

Great job Nick.. i was searching the Internet for a leaderboard all day to see how you were doing.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:49 AM
Del Mar

Fantastic!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:33 AM
Saratoga

Great job Nick!! have a safe trip back east!
Old 08-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:

Congrats Nick. Very well played.

Paul
Old 08-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweizer View Post
Congrats Nick. Very well played.

Paul
It was cool looking for news and finding it about when you won!

Quote:

Well I will now have to add gracious to your long list of fine qualities Mr. Point Man, cause that says a lot about you to come on here and give an account after a couple of seemingly endless days!

It's great... you should be very proud of yourself and I get the feeling you will look back on this and laugh when you DO win the big one (... cause if you can finish where you did with so many annoyances well... just keep going)!

I want to say were all so proud of you but then I have no clue what anyone else here thinks so I will instead remind you that I continue to be in awe of your dedication and persistence. While I might like the old, slow claimers who never manage to win my taste in cappers is a bit better and you continue to be a handicapping idol.

Sounds like an amazing experience. Well done!
Old 08-02-2015, 05:16 PM
The Curragh

Great Work, Point!
Old 08-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Steve Byk

Super job Nick! Well done.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Saratoga

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the kind words. MM, you are too kind.

Paul, I have tremendous respect for the accomplishment that you did last year in winning this thing. This was only my second live contest after the NHC in January and when you are there it becomes quickly evident that you are playing with the best handicappers in the country.

I knew I was having a big day on Saturday but without a leader board I really thought I had a small chance to possibly get within the first 6 prizes for the day on Saturday but thought that I had pretty much zero chance to move from 142nd place on Friday to within the top 12 overall.

I can't say enough about the Wynn and John Avello who runs the contest, it was first class all the way!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Longchamps

Congrats Nick!! Well done!!