Old 03-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Coach Pants

Absolute monster. Wow.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Washington Park

Hammer down. Wow.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Jerome Park

very nice race by curlin. reminded me a little of smarty jones but more green. officer rocket look TIRED! and still ran a nice second.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Newmarket

All of a sudden the derby trail is starting to look a lot more interesting.

Curlin could not have done better for his second start.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
All of a sudden the derby trail is starting to look a lot more interesting.

Curlin could not have done better for his second start.
hell yeah Arlington Jim. I am starting to get the FEEEEEEEEEEEEVAR!
Old 03-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Gulfstream Park

this horse looked really good today but i will question what he beat, a bunch of decent horse at best, but taking nothing away from the winner, second career start and he definitly did it the right way, sat off the pace, rated well and drew off, definitly impressive
Old 03-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by POINTGIVEN1985
this horse looked really good today but i will question what he beat, a bunch of decent horse at best, but taking nothing away from the winner, second career start and he definitly did it the right way, sat off the pace, rated well and drew off, definitly impressive
umm... he did beat the one and only tuefelsburg (sp?) and the great officer rocket! duh!
Old 03-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Thumbs up I thought....

An impressive performance from Curlin, good ride from Robby to get position, then didn't have much to do after that.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
umm... he did beat the one and only tuefelsburg (sp?) and the great officer rocket! duh!
So its his fault that no other monsters were entered?? He did what was asked of him, which was to win the race..He did it most impressively at that..I think Flying First Class was an easy bet against at such low odds, having come off a 6 furlong sprint..The same logic was used with Curlin, which is why i watched it and didnt bet it..Lukas' horse is a miler at most, while Curlin looks to be headed for greater things..Cant wait to see how this years derby unflods..Already heatin up
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 03-17-2007, 08:12 PM
point given

Default officer rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
very nice race by curlin. reminded me a little of smarty jones but more green. officer rocket look TIRED! and still ran a nice second.
OR got a questionable ride from Q. He got him stuck down the backside and the horse lost momentum, then he had to get him in gear again to late. I thought he was finished on the turn but he did rally late. I think he is a one run horse , he needed Calvin today, definite need to sack Q.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
All of a sudden the derby trail is starting to look a lot more interesting..
Absolutely! This performance coming in his first start around 2 turns and only his second start ever made the trail a lot more interesting than it would have been if...say....Teuflesberg won again.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Santa Anita

i thought Teuflesberg broke poorly but found a quick opening on the rail. no questioning his heart but will he have his best on Derby day ? doubtful. Cobalt Blue , it was his race, he won like he should have and the Baffert horse now has his foundation. Curlin was very impressive. the 2 at the wire in Tampa looked good with the edge to AGS because of the outside trip.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Churchill Downs

I said it when he broke his maiden, and I will say it again...this is one of the best horses that I have seen. I don't know if this information is out yet, but he was a $57,000 yearling that was sold to Padua and Stonerside for $3.5 million. Nice profit. I hope they go the Preakness route with this horse instead of the Derby route, but I know that this most likely won't happen. He is very rushed to make it to the Derby. If they back off this horse, and give him a little more time, he could turn into the absolute monster that I believe him to be. Nice, nice, nice colt....
Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
I hope they go the Preakness route with this horse instead of the Derby route, but I know that this most likely won't happen. He is very rushed to make it to the Derby.
You are probably right about this, but if he wins the Arkansas Derby this impressively.....how do you not take a shot in Kentucky?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Churchill Downs

I don't like it at all with just three lifetime starts. I don't believe a horse has ever won the Derby without having a start as a two-year old. He is also still running very greenly.

Showing Up's fifth last year (really sixth with the dead heat of Brother Derek and Jazil) was super impressive off of so few lifetime starts.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
I don't like it at all with just three lifetime starts. I don't believe a horse has ever won the Derby without having a start as a two-year old. He is also still running very greenly.

Showing Up's fifth last year (really sixth with the dead heat of Brother Derek and Jazil) was super impressive off of so few lifetime starts.
I am sure everyone would agree that going 10f in a G1 against 19 other horses is not exactly the ideal spot for a colt's 4th lifetime start. But if (and that is still a big if) he handles 9f and looks solid in his next....I certainly couldn't blame them for taking a shot.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:53 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Well it was Padua and Stonestreet that bought into him, original owners still own a piece. And they bought into him to run in the Derby, Stonestreet especially with Tiz Wonderful being injured. He runs well in the Ark. Derby, he'll be there.

Sorry, I meant Stonerstreet, not Stonerside...Thanks for the correction.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Sha Tin

I dont want to sound like Randall (sorry Randall) but I believe that Curlin will have an awfully short career. Enjoy him now.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I dont want to sound like Randall (sorry Randall) but I believe that Curlin will have an awfully short career. Enjoy him now.
Of course he will. He looks talented. We can't have talented horses running around for a long time. What would that do to the sport?
Old 03-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Still not right. I'm being sh*tty I know.
Yes, you are, but my spelling IS way off tonight...lol.