Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
I think you should absolutely pound the 9.

NT
He's the one Im worried about, but a fellow dt member loves him.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
He's the one Im worried about, but a fellow dt member loves him.
There is no 9 horse. that's the joke.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Flemington

[quote=declansharbor]There is no 9 horse. that's the joke.[/QUOTE

LOL
Old 08-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysheba4
quality road should be about 1-5 against these sleds.
This is how I see it by post time for the top 3:

Quality Road 4/5
Kensei 3/1
Summer Bird 7/2

The only question mark is Chartible Man with the Ramon effect, he is often overbet and has the potential to skew the oddsboard.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
This is how I see it by post time for the top 3:

Quality Road 4/5
Kensei 3/1
Summer Bird 7/2

The only question mark is Chartible Man with the Ramon effect, he is often overbet and has the potential to skew the oddsboard.
QR can win this race but at 4/5, i have to take a chance against him. hes been out, hes never been the distance. besides i hate 4/5 shots. they call it gambling. if i wanted to play it safe . i'd play bridge with grandma!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny pinwheel
QR can win this race but at 4/5, i have to take a chance against him. hes been out, hes never been the distance. besides i hate 4/5 shots. they call it gambling. if i wanted to play it safe . i'd play bridge with grandma!
I wouldn't touch him at his projected odds, however I respect him and he is strictly the horse to beat in my opinion, he looks to sit a great trip even with JV riding who I like to refer to as the "Mike Smith on the eastern seaboard." To me he and Summer Bird are the clear standouts in this race without RA and MTB in the field.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
I will lean on 1,9 and use 6,8 a little.
He wont be on any of your tickets, yet you are leaning on the 1,9?
Isnt Vineyard Haven the 1?
And "lean"? You been watching too many handicapping seminars and reading too many Crist Blogs. Invent your own lingo. The chicks will dig you more. Be original.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Flemington

Quality Road paddock schooling:

http://www.saratogainsider.blogspot.com/
Old 08-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
He wont be on any of your tickets, yet you are leaning on the 1,9?
Isnt Vineyard Haven the 1?
And "lean"? You been watching too many handicapping seminars and reading too many Crist Blogs. Invent your own lingo. The chicks will dig you more. Be original.
O god, I was using the numbers that were posted. This race is really tough for me, because I think Munnings and Big Drama lay over them, but I also feel its the best spot in the pick 4 to find a price. Flat Bold might be ok, and the Rose/Trombetta is ok... I will lean on the main 2, and use the other 2.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Oaklawn

This is a nuts conclusion. I bet Hold Me Back in the Derby, he put in a nifty middle move down the backstretch which was obviously a bit too early. He's never run a big race on dirt but if you consider his move in the Derby, I think he can handle it.

To me the Travers this year is: Can Quality Road handle the stretch-out off little races? And if not, who can jump-up? On Beyers, Summer Bird and Kensei fit the jump-up model. But I don't know if Kensei wants 10 furlongs with his A-game, and Summer Bird, though a useful horse, would have been fourth in the Belmont if it were at 10 furlongs. And in the Haskell, he beat-out Munnings who was obviously out of his comfort zone.

So, while both Summer Bird and Kensei could win, I can't get too excited about betting either of them at shorter prices. And Quality Road in my opinion is one of the most talented horses we've seen in a while, but he's really up against it today.

So, why not take a stab and have some fun? I'm not certainly not taking out a loan against my dog, but he'll be a price on a crazy, wet day.

Enjoy everyone!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:05 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
This is a nuts conclusion. I bet Hold Me Back in the Derby, he put in a nifty middle move down the backstretch which was obviously a bit too early. He's never run a big race on dirt but if you consider his move in the Derby, I think he can handle it.

To me the Travers this year is: Can Quality Road handle the stretch-out off little races? And if not, who can jump-up? On Beyers, Summer Bird and Kensei fit the jump-up model. But I don't know if Kensei wants 10 furlongs with his A-game, and Summer Bird, though a useful horse, would have been fourth in the Belmont if it were at 10 furlongs. And in the Haskell, he beat-out Munnings who was obviously out of his comfort zone.

So, while both Summer Bird and Kensei could win, I can't get too excited about betting either of them at shorter prices. And Quality Road in my opinion is one of the most talented horses we've seen in a while, but he's really up against it today.

So, why not take a stab and have some fun? I'm not certainly not taking out a loan against my dog, but he'll be a price on a crazy, wet day.

Enjoy everyone!

all good points. altho i would have to think if the belmont were 10f, summer bird would have been moved earlier to make up for two less panels.

at any rate, i would definitely put a few on our edge, as i think if a race could be won by a longer shot, this is one of them. question marks hovering over all the faves.

chip woolley has got to be kicking himself for declaring mine that bird-after his romp in the slop at churchill, this race probably would have been right up his alley.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
chip woolley has got to be kicking himself for declaring mine that bird-after his romp in the slop at churchill, this race probably would have been right up his alley.
He wanted to run, the decision to opt-out came from above.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone

Enjoy everyone!
Summer Bird will win the Travers and then lose to a La-bred in the Super Derby.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth
Summer Bird will win the Travers and then lose to a La-bred in the Super Derby.
What La-bred?!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Victory Ride:
1. Bold Union
2. Sky Haven
3. Sara Louise
4. Selva

Ballston Spa:
1. Rutherienne
2. Teamgeist
3. Cocoa Beach
4. My Princess Jess

Ballerina:
1. Indian Blessing
2. Informed Decision
3. Tar Heel Mom
4. PSU Grad

King's Bishop:
1. Big Drama
2. Capt Candyman Can
3. Munnings
4. Vineyard Haven

Travers:
1. Kensei
2. Charitable Man
3. Quality Road
4. Our Edge
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Oaklawn

Going with Closeout, hoping he handles the wet grass;
Capt. Candyman, in the slop, of course

Straight tri Quality Road-Charitable Man-Summer Bird
Old 08-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Sha Tin

US turf horses suck
Old 08-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Well, Music Note domintated. Didn't expect to see her on the lead a half mile into the race and when I thought IB was going to run by her, she had other ideas and won off with extreme ease. Did not see that one coming. Congrats to Godolphin.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
US turf horses suck
For real. That Euro had no workouts on US Soil and had only 1 maiden win to his credit. He was dead last coming off the turn on Soft Ground with a pace slower than grandma.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:16 PM

Win or lose, that was a huge effort by Vineyard Haven.

Oh yeah, he's gotta come down.