Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Gomez or the valet?
The valet. The new one keeps rambling about seams and whatnot. He's a little off.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
The valet. The new one keeps rambling about seams and whatnot. He's a little off.
Does the valet have a trophy wife also?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man View Post
To get a sense of how badly Gomez is riding presently (and, IMO, since at least last year), consider the analogy of the defensive player (linebacker or defensive back), that, while pursuing the ball carrier, is constantly adjusting his equipment. You know, his shoulder pads, his jock, pulling up his socks, etc.

Then you get a sense of how frustrating it is to watch Gomez twirl the reigns repeatedly, rather than just TAKING A HOLD, and riding to the wire.

Garcia is certainly not at the top of my jock's list, and he certainly can't finish as well as Gomez; but at least he's able to get into a finishing position -- these days, Gomez can't even do that.

Gomez, at this point, is dangerously close to becoming Edgar Prado of a few years ago; you know, when Edgar started that accelerated DECLINE, that continues.
Accelerated decline...made me think, Jorge Chavez used to be one of my favorite Jockies, especially when he used to ride for Bond. I remember some nice scores on him, he rode one of my few Derby winners Monarchos, yeah my derby picks sux, but Jorge is a case of a Jock that went south very quickly.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC View Post
Accelerated decline...made me think, Jorge Chavez used to be one of my favorite Jockies, especially when he used to ride for Bond. I remember some nice scores on him, he rode one of my few Derby winners Monarchos, yeah my derby picks sux, but Jorge is a case of a Jock that went south very quickly.
He had a huge injury in FL in 2003 and that certainly set him back horribly.

NT
Old 08-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
He had a huge injury in FL in 2003 and that certainly set him back horribly.

NT
Yeah never was the same after that, same with Nakatani when he was injuried at Delmar. I can't think of 2 jockies whose quality rides dropped as much as Jorge and Nak.