Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Default Met Mile field?

I know it is almost 3 weeks away still, but any ideas on who is pointing to this race?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Jerome Park

Certainly Sun King and Silver Wagon. I imagine the other two from the Westchester, Utopia and Political Force, would go. Latent Heat or maybe the Frankel horse that won at Churchill Saturday. I had heard Silent Name but he may be going in a Hollywood sprint instead. I would guess Half Ours perhaps, maybe Keyed Entry, but the fact that he failed to show up in the Westchester or Churchill sprint is cause for pause. I wish Pletcher would run Circular Quay as it seems like a perfect spot.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Woodbine

I'm assuming that Discreet Cat won't be anywhere near... What about Sweetnorthernsaint?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Santa Anita

what was the general reaction to Utopia's win on his US debut??

#Grand
Old 05-08-2007, 11:16 AM
The Curragh

Speaking of Frankel, is High Limit back to being retired? I thought they were trying to bring him back.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44
Speaking of Frankel, is High Limit back to being retired? I thought they were trying to bring him back.
My understanding is he's still in training, pointing for the Met Mile.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I wish Pletcher would run Circular Quay as it seems like a perfect spot.
I have a feeling that a one-turn mile might end up being the perfect spot for Circular Quay, Any Given Saturday, and Scat Daddy.

NT
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
what was the general reaction to Utopia's win on his US debut??

Ennui.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Ennui.
Interesting, for some reason I thought you would have had a little bit of intrest in a horse that has won some major races from around the globe, and is now competing here in the United States.

I would be happy to see him stay in the States this year. Obviously Darley is looking to increase his value as a stallion, and still racing at 7 years of age and being competative in graded stakes here is a plus.

Do you find his accomplishments to be unworthy of attention in the racing community? Just curious...

I will be interested to see how he can compete against what will hopefull be a good Met field, and hopefully see him further down the road this year.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARyan
Interesting, for some reason I thought you would have had a little bit of intrest in a horse that has won some major races from around the globe, and is now competing here in the United States.

I would be happy to see him stay in the States this year. Obviously Darley is looking to increase his value as a stallion, and still racing at 7 years of age and being competative in graded stakes here is a plus.

Do you find his accomplishments to be unworthy of attention in the racing community? Just curious...

I will be interested to see how he can compete against what will hopefull be a good Met field, and hopefully see him further down the road this year.

First of all, aside from my post being for a laugh, would you describe the general reaction differently? Were there any threads or discussions of this horse here or really anywhere?

He was a mediocre talent from the Far East, that Godolphin purchased and promptly laid up for 14 months. He set a dawdling pace and hung on while racing on a strong rail.

I predict if he runs in the Met Mile he will be much closer to last than first.

And, finally, I stand by my original opinion......the general reaction to his win was in fact ennui.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
I have a feeling that a one-turn mile might end up being the perfect spot for Circular Quay, Any Given Saturday, and Scat Daddy.

NT
I was actually half-jokingly goign to suggest CQ in the Met Mile.
Have any 3-year olds had any luck in this race? Seems a bit lofty to face older for the first time in such a tough spot, but then again, there aren't any Ghostzappers pointing to it, either.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemoncrush
Have any 3-year olds had any luck in this race? Seems a bit lofty to face older for the first time in such a tough spot, but then again, there aren't any Ghostzappers pointing to it, either.

Only Conquistador Cielo, Holy Bull, Honour and Glory and Dixie Brass immediately come to mind.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
First of all, aside from my post being for a laugh, would you describe the general reaction differently? Were there any threads or discussions of this horse here or really anywhere?

He was a mediocre talent from the Far East, that Godolphin purchased and promptly laid up for 14 months. He set a dawdling pace and hung on while racing on a strong rail.

I predict if he runs in the Met Mile he will be much closer to last than first.

And, finally, I stand by my original opinion......the general reaction to his win was in fact ennui.
Sorry I missed the joke.

I was just taken aback by the lack of intrest. I found it interesting that he is the first horse bred in Japan to win a graded stakes in the US since 2002. I thought that at least was something that should bring some intrest.

No, I don't believe there any real discussions of his last race, but then again I didn't look for any. I, however, wouldn't use a word such as "ennui" to describe it. Obviously there was some sense of intrest in Utopia, as he was brought up in this thread.

While the pace may have been dawdling in the Westchester, he did show some fight after being headed. After a 14 month layoff, you don't think he may show some improvement in his next race?

It is fine that you believe there was a total lack of intrest in his running and winning a graded stakes, I just thought it deserved would be more then a one word answer. Again, I missed the humour.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
The last three-year old to win it was Honour and Glory in 1996 wearing the colors of Michael Tabor. Don't ask me who the last three-year old was to run in it though, I think it's been a while. Before him there were two 3 year old winners in three years, as Dixie Brass took it in 1992 and Holy Bull in 1994.

NT
Old 05-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Jerome Park

That is sort of interesting about him being a Japan bred.

He ran OK, and perhaps the race got lost amid Derby hysteria, but as of now I see nothing to get particularly excited about....not that you implied that.

The bottom line, to me, is that he's a 7YO with little to recommend in his pps.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Jerome Park

Gulch also won it as a 3YO....between the Preakness and Belmont while he also competed in all three Triple Crown races.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Here's a list of winners
http://www.bloodlines.net/TB/RaceRes...anHandicap.htm
Old 05-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Gulch also won it as a 3YO....between the Preakness and Belmont while he also competed in all three Triple Crown races.
That would have been something to get excited about.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
who trained that horse, jamie sanders
Old 05-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARyan
That would have been something to get excited about.

Yeah, and he beat a good field. Broad Brush and I believe King's Swan to name a couple.

He was a damn good horse.