Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-19-2006, 05:04 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Is this any crazier than when Da Hoss was entered into the BC Mile in 1998?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-19-2006, 06:14 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch
Frankel can't win Breeders Cup races with clear favorites, so no confidence in taking him with a bomb here.
intercontinental won the turf when everyone thought she was a miler at best..

how many bc races has he won now?

badge of silver has run on turf in the past, when at his best he's good. i'd like to see him do well--and of course he'll get some exposure, as no doubt he'll retire this year, press won't hurt him a bit.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:16 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Is this any crazier than when Da Hoss was entered into the BC Mile in 1998?
i had a similar thought--i wonder how many thought THAT was crazy???? of course if frankel and silver win, bobby's a genius. if he runs up the track, ramsey will get vilified.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Flemington

I think the reasons are obvious like Cunningham Racing said, but I can't think of a trainer who would have a better shot with a layoff and horse like this than Frankel. Doesn't happen very often that you get a Frankel trainee on the turf with good odds.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:45 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
i had a similar thought--i wonder how many thought THAT was crazy???? of course if frankel and silver win, bobby's a genius. if he runs up the track, ramsey will get vilified.
The Breeders Cup is in the owner's backyard, at a place where he has been leading owner a zillion times and holds the record for most wins at a meet by an owner.
The owner also lost with 3 horses, one heavily favored, in the 2004 BC at Lone Star.
The horse has posessed a high degree of talent for years, but has been as fragile as an egg.
So the owner says, we never know how many races we can get out of this horse off the layoff, may as well try and fire a shot in the mile. By the way, I doubt that the objective of the NYRA Mile has changed. I assume they figure that a grass "prep' (as funny as this sounds seeing how the race is a BC race) will set him up nicely for the NYRA Mile.
I know how the guy thinks, and I can gurantee that this is EXACTLY what you will read when he is eventually interviewed.
He will say hes highly talented but fragile so we figured we as may as well take a shot in my own backyard, and that it should also move him forward for the NYRA mile.
I don't think its a federal case.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
The Breeders Cup is in the owner's backyard, at a place where he has been leading owner a zillion times and holds the record for most wins at a meet by an owner.
The owner also lost with 3 horses, one heavily favored, in the 2004 BC at Lone Star.
The horse has posessed a high degree of talent for years, but has been as fragile as an egg.
So the owner says, we never know how many races we can get out of this horse off the layoff, may as well try and fire a shot in the mile. By the way, I doubt that the objective of the NYRA Mile has changed. I assume they figure that a grass "prep' (as funny as this sounds seeing how the race is a BC race) will set him up nicely for the NYRA Mile.
I know how the guy thinks, and I can gurantee that this is EXACTLY what you will read when he is eventually interviewed.
He will say hes highly talented but fragile so we figured we as may as well take a shot in my own backyard, and that it should also move him forward for the NYRA mile.
I don't think its a federal case.
i don't think it's a federal case either...just seems ramsey gets a lot more grief than a lot of other owners. he needs better pr i guess!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:55 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
i don't think it's a federal case either...just seems ramsey gets a lot more grief than a lot of other owners. he needs better pr i guess!
Yeah, I agree. I hear he split with the guy who had the idea to apologize for his misdeed with the Nun at the Eclipse Award and wrote his speech. I thought that guy did a pretty good job with pr based on what he had to work with.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:41 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Porter
It ain't no federal case. He AIN"T runnin..............

Publicity stunt yet AGAIN? I believe you, trust me I believe you.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
Ghost Zapper
I could have trained Ghostzapper to win the BC. There wasn't a horse within 5 lengths of him that year (except the horse that won the 2005 BC.)
Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
This is classic Ken Ramsey...mark it down....there is a Breeders' Cup at his hime track that he is the perennial leading owner at and he wants a runner on the day....period

I've seen this move before by him....Frankel is a phenonminal layoff trainer and this horse is IMMENSELY talented when he's right, but he can't be really expected to fire off the shelf against these.....

They had him ready to stand at Ramsey's farm for $12,500 this year before he dominated in his first start on the grass in his seasonal finale last year on the west coast and they changed their mind and decided to wait one more year and go for the Breeders' Cup this year (he is out of a Silver Hawk mare)...Well, its been an adventurous campaign with ZERO starts (which explains how unsound he's been) and now they are trying to get their moneys worth since they had to sit on him all year after they unretired him.....

I knew this colt like the back of my hand from my Fair Grounds days when Werner had him...he's an absolute freak and one of the best horses in the country when he's right, but he is one of the most fragile horses I think I've ever seen...this horse has a bad throat, screws in almost every inch of his cannon bone, bad feet and he is still kickin'...I just hope they don't break him down because I love the horse...
Agree with this 100%.
If he goes, i'm very curious at a big price. I don't think Frankel would send him if he weren't ready to go... i could be wrong though.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:36 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
I could have trained Ghostzapper to win the BC. There wasn't a horse within 5 lengths of him that year (except the horse that won the 2005 BC.)
I don't know about that, the horse wasn't exactly sound, I am sure it took all of Frankel's training know-how to keep him together and ready to run...
Old 10-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
I don't know about that, the horse wasn't exactly sound, I am sure it took all of Frankel's training know-how to keep him together and ready to run...
Yeah, i was just kidding, and despite the naysayers i thought he did a good job managing this horse, especially considering his fragility. But Ghostzapper really was 5 lengths better than anyone that year, and that was an excellent field.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Keeneland

If BOS goes, I hope they don't end up breaking him down. The last thing we need is ANOTHER horse to read about.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Santa Anita

But wouldn't it put us in our places if he wins? Wouldn't that be a story!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
But wouldn't it put us in our places if he wins? Wouldn't that be a story!
If he were mine, I wouldn't be willing to take the risk. If he was sound, yes... but not 100%... no way Jose.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Yeah, i was just kidding, and despite the naysayers i thought he did a good job managing this horse, especially considering his fragility. But Ghostzapper really was 5 lengths better than anyone that year, and that was an excellent field.

I'll give you Zapper, but what is Frankel now?? Something like 3 for 50 in Breeders Cup races. Zapper and Squirtle Squirt are the only two that come to mind.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:16 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch
I'll give you Zapper, but what is Frankel now?? Something like 3 for 50 in Breeders Cup races. Zapper and Squirtle Squirt are the only two that come to mind.
intercontinental inthe FM turf
Old 10-19-2006, 09:17 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
intercontinental inthe FM turf
And he won the filly and mare turf at Arlington in 2002, hes now got 4 wins.
Not Lukas or Shug level, but very good consdiering its almost impossible to win any BC race.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:22 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
And he won the filly and mare turf at Arlington in 2002, hes now got 4 wins.
Not Lukas or Shug level, but very good consdiering its almost impossible to win any BC race.
I just looked up his stats...he's won 4 and been 20 times ITM with 66 starter...38 times in top 6...BC earnings 2nd to D. wayne
Old 10-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Also, Spanish Fern I believe her name was broke down in the gate of the 2000 BC F & M Turf, that shouldn't count against him....