Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Louisiana Downs

Default Bill Mott at Churchill

Who is his assistant trainer at Churchill? Last couple weeks any Mott horse is an automatic tossout. His horses are still way overbet even with his bad win clip percentage. He needs to get out to Churchill soon and set things straight.

Also surprised to see that him sending a horse up to Arlington on saturday for a minor stakes. Not many non big stakes races ever at Arlington with Mott, Lukas, and Biancone all in the same race.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habersham000
Who is his assistant trainer at Churchill? Last couple weeks any Mott horse is an automatic tossout. His horses are still way overbet even with his bad win clip percentage. He needs to get out to Churchill soon and set things straight.

Also surprised to see that him sending a horse up to Arlington on saturday for a minor stakes. Not many non big stakes races ever at Arlington with Mott, Lukas, and Biancone all in the same race.
I read somewhere, maybe on the old board that he was one of the trainers reluctant to use any of the new state of the art procedures that are used by some of the more succesful and progressive trainers. I dont know but has anyone here have any input.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:59 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpops757
I read somewhere, maybe on the old board that he was one of the trainers reluctant to use any of the new state of the art procedures that are used by some of the more succesful and progressive trainers. I dont know but has anyone here have any input.
No way Jpops, I don't subscribe to that.
The purses at Churchill are good, so some trainers leave some behind to run there. Obviously with an assistant trainer. 1) Not all asst trainers are as good as the guy whose name appears in the program. 2) What kind of horses do you leave behind at a place where you aren't gonna be? Horse who you don't think can cut it in NY!!!! Obviously horses that arent on your A string.

Mott loves it up here, and can be seen all summer long up here, not just during the meet. he has shop set up at belmont but an even bigger shop up here in Saratoga. Thats where his "a" horses are.

What shocks me is that Habersham just caught onto this with Mott. His Churchill string has been underperforming his New York string every summer for at least ten years. And of course they get overbet because of the name in the program. Its a double whammy.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Idlewild Airport

Almost as bad as Baffert at Hollywood right now. Hot and cold that guy, either or and both extremes.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:09 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Almost as bad as Baffert at Hollywood right now. Hot and cold that guy, either or and both extremes.
Randy the purses and quality stink at Hollywood. He ran his horses hard all winter and spring and was white hot. He hasnt started many horses lately, only 23 at the meet. My best guess is that hes running the cheaper ones he has right now and resting his string for Del mar. He loves to win there and unlike Ny where we have a prestigious Belmont meet with great purses preceeding saratoga, Cai has Hollywood. Some nice stakes at this meet, but the everyday quality is a big drop down.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:12 PM
Idlewild Airport

Mike his horses are hardly picking up checks. The guy can go from 30% at SA to 1 for 30 at Hollywood? Tell me that makes sense? I wonder long and hard about these kinds of hot and cold streaks.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:19 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Mike his horses are hardly picking up checks. The guy can go from 30% at SA to 1 for 30 at Hollywood? Tell me that makes sense? I wonder long and hard about these kinds of hot and cold streaks.
You are reading way too much into this one and your stats are off. He won the stake on Sunday there and he won the 1st race today. That alone puts him above 10%. right around 12%. Ive been following there and hes been running cheapskates, not his top stock. He will probably start unleashing some babies soon and hes LOADED with babies. He will end the meet around 20% before its done. But he doesnt have a lotta claiming stock and thats what they are running primarily at this meet.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Idlewild Airport

That's fair Mike, I just remember watching some of his horses run this meet and suck some serious ass....Maybe he's saving up. Could be.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:35 PM
Morris Park

Horses can only take so much "medications". Often times you see trainers win at incredibly high percentages, then go ice cold. Happened a couple years ago in NY with Tommy Bush. Unless a trainer continuously keps getting new horses like Pletcher and Dutrow, his same old stock will eventually poop out and the trainer's win % will crash and burn. Just look at Baffert, Mott and Lake.