Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Steve Byk

Default 4/5 (SA): Santa Anita Derby (Gr. I) + 3 Gr. II Stakes

6th (2:30) Santa Anita Derby (G1)

1 1/8 Miles (All Weather Track) | Open | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $750,000

1 Yankee Bravo Solis A 122 L (4-1)
2 Signature Move Baze M C 122 L (30-1)
3 Coast Guard Talamo J 122 L (20-1)
4 Bob Black Jack Migliore R 122 L (6-1)
5 Colonel John Nakatani C S 122 L (2-1)
6 On the Virg Baze T C 122 L (15-1)
7 Shore Do Sutherland C 122 (20-1)
8 El Gato Malo Flores D R 122 L (5-2)
9 Polonius Espinoza V 122 L (10-1)
10 Meetingwithdestiny Rosario J 122 L (20-1)
11 Rosso Corsa Quinonez A 122 L (50-1)
Old 04-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Churchill Downs

2,5 exacta box should offer a lot of value, i like it

signature move has a chance to win, if he runs back to his allowance race, and the others run as slow as they did in their preps.

this race has had some bombs recently, and i think signature move would be a lot more logical then tiago was last year.

Last edited by Kasept : 04-02-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Steve Byk

Default 4/5 (SA): Providencia; Arcadia; Potrero Grande

4th (1:30) Potrero Grande H. (G2)

6 1/2 Furlongs (All Weather Track) | Open | 4 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $200,000

1 El Roblar Migliore R 118 L
2 Sailors Sunset Baze T C 115 L
3 Peace Chant Baze M C 115 L
4 Surf Cat Solis A 120 L
5 Greg's Gold Espinoza V 119 L
6 Johnny Eves Flores D R 117 L

7th (3:00) Arcadia H. (G2)

1 Mile (Turf) | Open | 4 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $150,000

1 Hyperbaric Baze T C 113 L
2 No Dream Espinoza V 113 L
3 Daytona (IRE) Solis A 120 L
4 Artiste Royal (IRE) Nakatani C S 118 L
5 Golden Balls (IRE) Blanc B 116 L
6 Crested (GB) Migliore R 115 L
7 Storm Military (ARG) Flores D R 115 L

9th (4:00) Providencia S. (G2)

1 Mile (Turf) | Fillies | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $150,000

1 Bel Air Sizzle Sutherland C 117 L
2 Briecat Court J K 119 L
3 Carnival Queen (GB) Solis A 115 L
4 Missit (IRE) Espinoza V 115
5 Theodora Flores D R 115 L
6 Porto Marmay (IRE) Baze T C 115 L
7 Sweeter Still (IRE) Garcia M 119 L
8 Gorgeous Goose Baze M C 119 L
9 Snow Delicious Rosario J 115 L
10 Starry Pursuit Talamo J 115 L

Last edited by Kasept : 04-03-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Saratoga

This has Yankee Bravo/El Gato Malo top 2 written all over it. A boatload of speed in this race.

Signature Move, Bob Blackjack, Polonius and those are just from memory, I am sure there is one more in there....
Old 04-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Steve Byk

MEET THE PLAYERS-2008 SANTA ANITA DERBY CAPSULES
By Santa Anita Press Office

BOB BLACK JACK – After initially planning to run in the Arkansas Derby on April 12, trainer Jim Kasparoff did an eleventh-hour switch and named Cal-bred son of Stormy Jack to Santa Anita Derby. The late defection of injured Georgie Boy helped to influence the change. Trying a route of ground for the first time after five sprints, the speedy bay colt ran third to Georgie Boy, losing by 1 ¾ lengths, in the Grade II San Felipe Stakes at 1 1/16 miles after setting much of the pace. . .Recent Santa Anita George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award winner Richard Migliore replaces David Flores, who was committed to El Gato Malo. Migliore rode King of the Roxy, his first Santa Anita Derby mount, to a second-place finish last year. . .

COAST GUARD – Trainer David Hofmans is inclined to write off a disappointing effort in Grade III El Camino Real Derby at Bay Meadows on March 8 when eighth as the 5-2 favorite. Explained jockey Aaron Gryder, “He never really leveled off in the race. It was the first time getting dirt in his face, so I don’t know if that had anything to do with it. I do know he is a better horse than he showed.”. . .“He didn’t handle the dirt at all,” said Hofmans. “He’s maturing all the time and is not nearly at his peak. He has a lot of talent, but he has to learn how to channel it the right way.”. . .The Stormy Atlantic colt was purchased by Amerman Racing Stables for $300,000 as a yearling. . .Hofmans has had two previous Santa Anita Derby starters including Sacred Light, fourth for John and Jerry Amerman in 2006. . . Joe Talamo, 18, assumes the mount and will be riding in his first Derby. . .

COLONEL JOHN – Kentucky-bred son of two-time Breeders’ Cup Classic champion Tiznow has distance pedigree and experience routing. “I’m sure he can get a distance,” said trainer Eoin Harty following the WinStar Farm homebred’s victory in the Sham Stakes at 1 1/8 miles. . .Never worse than second in five starts that include three wins, the bay colt provides Harty with his first Santa Anita Derby starter. But having served as the top aide to Bob Baffert for seven years up to 2000, he is well versed with the demands of the Triple Crown trail. . .After 12 opportunities, jockey Corey Nakatani is still in search of his first Santa Anita Derby triumph. The winner of seven Breeders’ Cup races has ridden 12 Kentucky Derby starters without success. . .

EL GATO MALO – Sustained first setback in four starts when losing to Colonel John by one-half length in Sham Stakes at 1 1/8 miles after being boxed in through the stretch as the 7-10 favorite. “He absolutely leveled when we got out,” said jockey David Flores, who will be seeking his first Santa Anita Derby victory with his seventh mount. . .Trainer Craig Dollase feels the Sham was a beneficial learning experience. “I think he did learn a lot from it,” said the 37-year-old trainer (0-for-3 in Derby). “He was able to rate behind horses and finish, so we’re taking steps in the right directions, I think.”. . .The Kentucky-bred son of El Corredor was purchased for $95,000 as a yearling by West Point Thoroughbreds. . .

MEETINGWITHDESTINY – After racing four times on turf following his synthetic surface debut, the chestnut gelding connected at 1 1/16 miles over the synthetic to break his maiden at odds of 13-1 to earn a chance in the Derby. . .He will be top trainer Doug O’Neill’s second Derby starter after a fourth-place finish with Liquidity last year. . .Bongo Racing Stable purchased the Kentucky-bred son of Belong to Me last year for $85,000 . . .Joel Rosario, a 20-year-old product of the Dominican Republic, has the mount and will be riding in his first Santa Anita Derby. . .

ON THE VIRG – Pletcher, the nation’s leading trainer the last four years, saddled his first Santa Anita Derby starters last year when stablemates King of the Roxy and Sam P. ran second and third, respectively, to 23-1 shot Tiago. . .This lightly raced chestnut colt provided the 41-year-old trainer with his 2,000th career victory on Jan. 13 when breaking his maiden in a mild upset at 5-1 odds. . .Like early Kentucky Derby favorite Pyro and Santa Anita Derby opponent Yankee Bravo, On the Virg is a son of Pulpit. He was a $160,000 yearling purchase at the 2006 Keeneland September Sale by a partnership headed by Glencrest Farm. . .In his only previous Derby ride, jockey Tyler Baze was second aboard Indian Express in 2003. . .

POLONIUS – Having raced strictly on turf in his three career starts, the Florida-bred son of Broken Vow faces a stern test in his first over a synthetic surface. . .Trainer Michael Pender is anxious to explore the new territory. “He hasn’t even peaked yet,” said the 42-year-old conditioner who has been training horses for five years and currently has eight in his barn. “We need a good, solid race to find out just what we’ve got.”. . .The bay colt was purchased by B. J. Wright, of Pasadena, for $150,000 at last year’s Barretts March Sale. . .Victor Espinoza has been named to ride. He has ridden in the Santa Anita Derby three times with his best finish being a second aboard Imperialism in 2004. . .

ROSSO CORSA – Connections thought enough of homebred son of Ferrari to supplement him to Derby at a cost of $15,000. Longshot would need to run fourth or better to realize a profit for his owners. . .With only two races in his dossier, Cal-bred broke his maiden in his second start, a $100,000 maiden claimer, at odds of 10-1 after being stretched out to 1 1/16 miles. . .Trainer Darrell Vienna has saddled two previous Santa Anita Derby starters 26 years apart (Table Torch, 1981, and Medici Code, 2007). . .Chestnut colt serves as first Derby mount for jockey Alonso Quinonez. . .

SHORE DO – Chestnut gelding makes his first start for trainer Brian Koriner, who will be participating in his second Derby after saddling eight-place Black Seventeen last year . . .While in the care of trainer Bobby Frankel and previously Chuck Peery, the Kentucky-bred son of Include raced six times, three of them Grade I events. His best showing was a third-place finish behind Dixie Chatter and Salute the Sarge in Oak Tree’s 2007 Norfolk Stakes. That race marked his only previous competition over Santa Anita’s synthetic surface. . .Riding in her first Santa Anita Derby, jockey Chantal Sutherland has endeared herself to local longshot players with her winners averaging payoffs of over $20. . .

SIGNATURE MOVE – Had won a pair of races routing before sputtering behind Pyro in the Grade III Risen Star at the Fair Grounds on Feb. 9. “He bled and had a lung infection at the Risen Star,” observed trainer Eric Guillot. Recalling the Vindication colt’s previous win in an allowance race at Santa Anita, Guillot said of the 2 ¼-length win, “He looked like a runner to me.”. . .Was purchased for $625,000 as a yearling by Southern Equine Stable. . .Represents first Santa Anita Derby starter for jockey Michael Baze as well as trainer Guillot. . .

YANKEE BRAVO – After three wins over turf or synthetic surfaces, proved his versatility when finishing third to early Kentucky Derby favorite Pyro in the Grade II Louisiana Derby at the Fair Grounds on March 8. . .“His race on the dirt in Louisiana was very encouraging,” said trainer Paddy Gallagher. “Each time he’s run, he’s finished well.” Asked if he felt the Pulpit colt seemed ready to compete against the top 3-year-olds in the West, a confident jockey Alex Solis replied, “I think the other ones should worry about whether they’re ready to compete with him.”. . .Solis won the Santa Anita Derby with his first mount, Snow Chief, in 1986 as well as his last, Brother Derek in 2006 with nine setbacks in between. . .Gallagher has never saddled a starter in the race, but assisted Bill Shoemaker when the legendary rider, as a trainer, sent out Diazo to a fifth-place finish in the 1993 Kentucky Derby. . .

Last edited by Kasept : 04-03-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Washington Park

Count me in for some $$ on Signature Move, especially near 30-1.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Coach Pants

El Gato Malo by 3.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Coach Pants

I think they're hoping to see Nic Hines do his best Hulkamania impersonation in the winners circle.

And really who can blame them?

As for me picking El Pollo Loco...well the way I see it is you can be a tortoise in the early stages of these route races out there and really all you need is a closing kick and a jockey who knows to go at least 10 wide down the stretch.

There are only 3 horses in this race with a realistic shot of winning.

Yankee Bravo
Colonel John
El Pollo Loco

The others will have to improve dramatically to win.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
I'm not sure Signature Move will be 30-1, but what am I missing with him? Say he really did have a lung infection at the Fairgrounds and you throw the race out. His "impressive" allowance race looks good on the surface. but a closer look shows it was a 4 horse field and a horrible field at that. So where's his good race? I'm not trying to talk anyone off a longshot, but I'm just trying to see where you guys that like him are coming from.
Just to be fair, I think one of the horses out of his allowance race (the Brian Koriner runner) came back to win by open lengths in another first condition, though it may have come on turf. Signature Move did win that race fairly comfortably and prior to that looked staving off multiple challenges in his maiden win, so he has potential to be a good horse. His numbers aren't great, however, and after missing the San Felipe last month you have to wonder about how sharp he is for this race, his toughest by far, particularly when he has to improve to win.

On paper, you can expect improvement from his throw-out Risen Star run, but that might only mean a decent 4th or 5th place finish here. I suppose at huge odds, he has exotics appeal, too.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Oriental Park

continuing a my straight up roi killer this meet....give me the turf horse Polonious.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Coach Pants

Colonel John could possibly be one of the greatest 3 year olds ever considering how well he's doing with that trainer.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
I'm not sure Signature Move will be 30-1, but what am I missing with him? Say he really did have a lung infection at the Fairgrounds and you throw the race out. His "impressive" allowance race looks good on the surface. but a closer look shows it was a 4 horse field and a horrible field at that. So where's his good race? I'm not trying to talk anyone off a longshot, but I'm just trying to see where you guys that like him are coming from.
go to calracing.com and watch the replay of the allowance race... definition of in hand...... did not ask the horse for any run, just cruised.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
I think they're hoping to see Nic Hines do his best Hulkamania impersonation in the winners circle.

And really who can blame them?

As for me picking El Pollo Loco...well the way I see it is you can be a tortoise in the early stages of these route races out there and really all you need is a closing kick and a jockey who knows to go at least 10 wide down the stretch.

There are only 3 horses in this race with a realistic shot of winning.

Yankee Bravo
Colonel John
El Pollo Loco

The others will have to improve dramatically to win.

no el gato ? i dont like el gato, but im assuming he goes off the chalk with john close behind
Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs11204
no el gato ? i dont like el gato, but im assuming he goes off the chalk with john close behind
I think El Pollo Loco is a much better horse.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
I think El Pollo Loco is a much better horse.
interesting
Old 04-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Churchill Downs

lol
Old 04-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
I've seen it. He looked visually impressive of course, but it came in a 4 horse race where he sat a perfect trip against much weaker than he is facing on Saturday. I also have seen enough horses "cruise" home and look like they can go faster, yet don't seem to in their subsequent starts. We'll see on Saturday.
im just looking for some value for a small exacta box with john, my money will be spent at Aqueduct on Saturday, and a little keenland on friday, the only reasson i will even play my signature move-colonel john exacta box is because they are showing this race on NBC with the wood.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:58 PM
5'8".. but all man!

I love the way Polonius looked in his maiden breaker and in the Pasadena. Anxious to see how his form will be on the synthetic, but I love the way he moves. Obvious class test, but he will be on my ticket.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Del Mar

I've liked Polonius since his maiden breaker, too. . . Not sure how he'll do on the new surface and with pace pressure but I'll play him for a few.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 PM
The Curragh

I don't know much about Polonius other than he's a turf horse. So...he's a front runner? I was hoping he'd be a stalking type.