Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
it's taking it personally that some of us want cheaters to be penalized? or maybe even run out of the game if they continue?
So, let me ask an innocent question here. I am not instigating anything here, nor do I want to get caught up in semantics. However, did you really expect Mullins to get handed a suspension that would start immediately, or at least start and run so that it kept him out of the Derby? And, if so, did you expect that suspension to stick, meaning that Mullins would be kept out of the Derby? Thanks.

Eric
Old 04-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi
The only problem with this argument is that administering Air Power on raceday is illegal in CA, too.
Practically speaking, I don't think it matters. I think other than Lasix, nothing is allowed on race day in NY - so what % of horses get something on race day, orally, topically, feed-wise, or some other way?

While I think Mullins needs to be punished, I don't think that was the basis of his arguement. I'd rather throw out whatever he says and stick to limiting the discussion to the confines of the rules. I get your point though.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:20 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELA
So, let me ask an innocent question here. I am not instigating anything here, nor do I want to get caught up in semantics. However, did you really expect Mullins to get handed a suspension that would start immediately, or at least start and run so that it kept him out of the Derby? And, if so, did you expect that suspension to stick, meaning that Mullins would be kept out of the Derby? Thanks.

Eric
I am butting in.
Yes I was hoping.
That would have sent the message.

Would it have EVER happened. Probably not.
It has again pointed at a great weakness in the whole mess.
No overall governing body. No clear penalties for violations
that work from state to state. It would all lead to a legal morass.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELA

Eric
i guess i thought-incorrectly-that ny took their detention barn and rules seriously. in light of the suspension given to biancone and his vet, i guess i expected more than a week-and yes, i know that wasn't in ny. did i think it would begin right away? no, since it seems appeals can drag on. keep him out of the derby? not with it coming up in two weeks. the timing isn't right. but i did expect more than seven days when it all came down.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Flemington

Did NYRA ever release any kind of statement about what unfolded that day. With some sort of account from the security people involved?
Basically, is Mullins speaking the truth. Did the security people witness Mullins bring in the Air Power and let him walk right in? And if confiscated was it ever tested?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Did NYRA ever release any kind of statement about what unfolded that day. With some sort of account from the security people involved?
Basically, is Mullins speaking the truth. Did the security people witness Mullins bring in the Air Power and let him walk right in? And if confiscated was it ever tested?

i haven't seen anything from them. as for mullins bringing something in, i can't help but think his bucket o'stuff only got a cursory glance. hell, when's the last time a trainer tried to give something in the D barn in new york?! i deal with going in and out of 'security' gates on an almost daily basis, if the guards in the barn there are as diligent as they are where i go, you could bring freaking jumbo the elephant thru and no one would notice.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:34 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
He had the application syringe in a pocket.
Thats all I saw printed.

Even if they had said go right in and take care of your
horse, he should have immediatley thought they are trying
to set me up. Point is, he knows the rules. He is well accustomed
with rules because he has broken so many, accidentalty or not.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
Yeah it was a serious drug. It would've enabled that horse to have a minty fresh feeling and that's illegal.

For me it has nothing to do with the product in question (even though he's used much more serious drugs in the past). It's his blatant disregard for the rules of the game, which everybody has to abide by. Giving him only 7 days only allows him to continue to boldly cheat, even at the highest levels. As a bettor, all I want is a level playingfield so I don't have to handicap which trainer has the 'juice' today.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
He had the application syringe in a pocket.
Thats all I saw printed.

Even if they had said go right in and take care of your
horse, he should have immediatley thought they are trying
to set me up. Point is, he knows the rules. He is well accustomed
with rules because he has broken so many, accidentalty or not.
i know mullins even mentioned that the owners of GGW were initially told that he had smuggled the syringe into the barn inside his jacket. but he 'set them straight'. and god knows, if there's anyone you can believe, it's jeff mullins.

hahahahahaha omg
Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Churchill Downs

A lot of the discussion seems to center on what should be the penalty in this case. I am not aware of any trainer previously being caught treating a horse in the detention barn since that program was initiated by NYRA. The best analogy that I can draw was the June 2004 incident in which Ralph Nicks was determined to have administered a shot of a non-performance enhancer on race day (http://www.racing.state.ny.us/racing/racing.home.htm), an offense that led to his firing as Team Valor's then-private trainer. In those pre-detention barn days, and for that trainer who beforehand had a spotless regulatory record, Nicks was suspended for 15 days and required to pay the then-maximum fine of $5,000.

Compare the Nicks situation with the Mullins incident. In 2009, as opposed to 2004, we have a detention barn, the clear purpose of which is known to even the most casual New York racing observer, let alone the trainer of the favorite for New York's most important Kentucky Derby prep. As opposed to a trainer with a spotless record (Nicks) treating a horse on a sleepy June Wednesday afternoon at Belmont Park, in Mullins, we have a trainer whose lengthy record illustrates complete disdain for the rules (and its fans, if the T.J. Simers quote is believed) treating a horse in a stakes race on the "biggest" day on Aqueduct's racing calendar. And in 2009, in the aftermath of the Eight Belles tragedy, we have a new Chair of the NYSRWB who claims to be putting a premium on "integrity" issues. All of these factors would suggest that Mullins should get a far stiffer penalty than Nicks.

That they chose to hand out a penalty less than what Nicks was given sends a truly regrettable message; that is, that despite racing leaders' professed desire to clean up the sport, it's still business as usual. I agree with those who have argued that, if this is the penalty for violating the terms of the detention barn, then NYRA ought to shut the whole thing down and stop putting the horses and the horsemen through what is an apparently an unimportant, costly incovenience.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklestheclown
That's what I meant by personally; this poster obviously takes whatever is said on tv about horseracing personally. If Merlinsky is an owner, I understand that. Why you (Danzig) took what I said personally, I don't know.
I don't understand his taking anything you say personally. After all, when chucklestheclown speaks I always think it is just part of the act.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Sha Tin

Personally I think his suspension is a joke but find Sabini's comments more troubling.

"Although the penalty will not affect Mullins's ability to prepare I Want Revenge for any of the Triple Crown races, New York State Racing and Wagering Board chairman John D. Sabini said he believes the board came down hard on Mullins.

"Trainers who wish to participate in New York racing are responsible for knowing our race day rules and our medication rules," Sabini said in a statement. "These sanctions should send a clear message that ignorance will never wash as an excuse. I applaud the stewards for scratching Gato Go Win when they did. This horse was flown all the way to New York from California for a single race. As a result of what he did on April 4, Mr. Mullins is learning the hard way that there are tough consequences for not being more familiar with the rules of New York.""

If this clown thinks that they have done something positive with this suspension then he is dumber than most political appointees which in itself is a difficult task. Maybe someone should inform this moron that a 7 day vacation after the Derby is hardly 'coming down hard, a clear message or tough consequences'. For all the misguided souls that believe that federal intervention is a good option, here is exhibit A why govt appointees who have no clue about what they are regulating wont do a damn bit of good.

Regardless of what Mullins gave the horse he should have gotten a 60 day suspension at least. If you are going to have a detention barn than at least attempt to make it relevant. Allowing ignorance of the rules or other supposed mitigating circumstances to come down with a 15 day suspension is a joke.

I dont know all of the legalities of NYRA's position in this whole fiasco but if they are legally allowed to, I dont know why they cant impose some house sanctions like no Mullins in NY for 6 months.

As for Hartley, he stands The Green Monkey, need I say more?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

I'll be the first to say I'm rooting against Mullins and IEAH but Belmont week would be kind of interesting if Mullins is back with IWR.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Personally I think his suspension is a joke but find Sabini's comments more troubling.

"Although the penalty will not affect Mullins's ability to prepare I Want Revenge for any of the Triple Crown races, New York State Racing and Wagering Board chairman John D. Sabini said he believes the board came down hard on Mullins.

"Trainers who wish to participate in New York racing are responsible for knowing our race day rules and our medication rules," Sabini said in a statement. "These sanctions should send a clear message that ignorance will never wash as an excuse. I applaud the stewards for scratching Gato Go Win when they did. This horse was flown all the way to New York from California for a single race. As a result of what he did on April 4, Mr. Mullins is learning the hard way that there are tough consequences for not being more familiar with the rules of New York.""

If this clown thinks that they have done something positive with this suspension then he is dumber than most political appointees which in itself is a difficult task. Maybe someone should inform this moron that a 7 day vacation after the Derby is hardly 'coming down hard, a clear message or tough consequences'. For all the misguided souls that believe that federal intervention is a good option, here is exhibit A why govt appointees who have no clue about what they are regulating wont do a damn bit of good.

Regardless of what Mullins gave the horse he should have gotten a 60 day suspension at least. If you are going to have a detention barn than at least attempt to make it relevant. Allowing ignorance of the rules or other supposed mitigating circumstances to come down with a 15 day suspension is a joke.

I dont know all of the legalities of NYRA's position in this whole fiasco but if they are legally allowed to, I dont know why they cant impose some house sanctions like no Mullins in NY for 6 months.

As for Hartley, he stands The Green Monkey, need I say more?
so, unless they gave other punishment we haven't heard about, i wonder what the hell he's talking about regarding tough punishment....
Old 04-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
so, unless they gave other punishment we haven't heard about, i wonder what the hell he's talking about regarding tough punishment....
He is an idiot. He believes that this was a big deal because they shipped the horse from CA and had to scratch. Like Mullins is on the hook for that expense.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
He is an idiot. He believes that this was a big deal because they shipped the horse from CA and had to scratch. Like Mullins is on the hook for that expense.

hell, they gave back all the entry fees. pfft. yeah, he's out shipping that horse, but it was part of a group, so how much are we talking really?

too many folks are too quick to excuse stuff like this, to downplay it as tho it's no big deal. mullins broke the rules, claims he didn't know, and that he was only giving air power. as tho anything he says shouldn't be held under scrutiny. as tho he has so much credibility, and we should just say 'oh, ok'. hehe, carry on.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Dee Tee Stables

"To put an end to this unfortunate event, I take responsibility for the infraction and accept the penalty imposed. I have dedicated my life to caring for Thoroughbred racehorses. I owe it to I Want Revenge, his owners, the racing fans, and, indeed, the entire racing industry to end this distraction now."

oh, such a martyr for the cause.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Dee Tee Stables

it's official, mullins is as dumb as a person can possibly be. was he born yesterday? exactly how long has this guy been in the business?

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...o+action+taken
Old 04-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
it's official, mullins is as dumb as a person can possibly be. was he born yesterday? exactly how long has this guy been in the business?

I'm sure the industry is loaded with trainers who are "smart" but couldn't win a race if they were handed a cloned Dr. Fager.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Keeneland

Quote:

Good point. But Mullins doesn't appear to be the problem, to me.

Good grief, can't tarnish the Derby with the shoddy machinations and ignoring/breaking of the rules by the Derby entry trainers.

Gag.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts