Old 10-25-2007, 12:55 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I feel a little sick...
take two bud lights and call me in the morning
Old 10-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Oaklawn

I know for a fact that the warm weather causes spring fever...
Old 10-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
must be the rain. cause I know it isn't the stress.
What me worry?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Keeneland

Cold weather (or airplane rides) cause physically dried out airways due to colder and less humid evironmental conditions.

If your airway dries out, you lose your nice mucociliary defense system to carry crap out of your airways, and your nose/nasal cavities dry out and the cells are more susceptible to letting something in.

Even though the four arms of your immune system are working 100% and you are 100% healthy.

Humans can spray saline nasal spray during an airplane ride, horses can't. Drinking alot of water helps keep your airways hydrated, too - so horses that don't drink when the weather changes , or when they are on an airplane, or when they travel, are more suceptible to upper airway infections and colics.

As are humans, who often get "colds" after airplane rides, especially if they have dehydrated themselves with alcohol, and not drunk enough water while traveling. Being stuck in a contained space with new viruses and bacteria doesn't help, either.

The concept of "weak immune systems" and "stress compromising your immune system" is mostly an exaggerated TV ad thing to sell product.

Unless one has a serious immune disease, the four arms of your immune system are working fine. It takes an incredible amount of stress (cortisol release, etc) to disrupt that. You can have an excellent immune system and be 100% healthy and still get sick.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 10-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I believe you get your entry money back if you get a vet to scratch you by the way...
I'm not scratching anyone in certain places on their body ....
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 10-25-2007, 03:08 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
I'm not scratching anyone in certain places on their body ....
There must be something in the air today....zanyness is everwhere
Old 10-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
What they need is more cowbell.
Heh.

Quote:
Actually great news because you just saved money ...
By switching to GEICO?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Delaware Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
this time of year it isn't so much caused by the temp shift as much as it is that grasses in the paddock begin to hoard fructan (to stay alive) which can cause a horse to colic....assuming the horse has paddock access....also as the weather cools many horses don't drink enough water, because they aren't sweating as much and can get themselves into trouble that way.
This horse is out 23 hrs. of the day and runs with 7 others. Plenty of pasture, coastal hay and water. No changes in food whatsoever. Less water consumption, maybe. Whatever it was caused a pretty severe gas buildup.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatrical
This horse is out 23 hrs. of the day and runs with 7 others. Plenty of pasture, coastal hay and water. No changes in food whatsoever. Less water consumption, maybe. Whatever it was caused a pretty severe gas buildup.

sugar overload (from high levels of fructan in the cool season grass) can cause serious gas colic....the simple sugars pass directly into the hind gut where they are fermented...I used to own a horse that colicked regularly when the seasons changed....it finally killed him when he was 22.