Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Randwyck

Funny story from 2004 when I was in Las Vegas for the Cup, which was only my second breeders cup that I wagered on, and as I was still relatively new to the game I was betting pretty conservatively.

With about 5 Minutes to Post to the BC Sprint, I made a small $1 PK 3 bet singling Speightstown and Ouija Board and talking ALL in the juvy (2-5-All).

As I walked back to my seat, I looked at my ticket, and realized the teller had punched a Trifecta bet instead of a PK 3 (2-5-all). It caught my eye at first because it was an $11 bet, and the PK 3 should have only been $9 (juvy field was small that year).

So, I raced up there and changed my ticket just before the race goes off. Once the race finishes, I see that it came in 2-6 (Speighstown and Kela, two favorites) and as I looked to see who was third, my worst fear was realized when My Cousin Matt clunked up at a huge price. I quickly realize I just canceled a 2-6-all trifecta that paid around $1200 or $1300 for a $1.

Fortunately, Oujia Board won the F/M turf and the unremarkable Wilko won the BC juvy at a huge price, so the PK3 did pay nice (around $500 I think), and since that was my intended bet all along, I didn't really let it bother me all that much.

But ever since, I've always been hesitant to cancel a mis-keyed ticket before a race, especially smaller ones.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Delaware Park

At the Danville, IL OTB with 2 MTP and long lines at the windows, my dad (who has corrupted me) says..."If the 11 ever gets the lead, nobody will catch him". He got up, said "son go play a 1 (Bertrando)-11 (Arcangues) Exacta Box" then he ran to the window. I looked at my tickets and saw I had $5 on the 11 to Place and decided not to stand in line (I was a lazy 22 yr old with a cold beer in front of me).

Well, Dad made it to window and played the following:

$10 Win on 11
$5 Ebox 1,11
$2 Tri 1-11 w 1-11 w All

It was, without a doubt, the worst 45 minute drive home I have ever had. I am sick to my stomach even as I write this darn post.

I will be front and center this year to try and make amends.......
Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Flemington

The first day last year.

Worst play evah?

2006 Classic - trifecta key of Bernardini / Invasor / Premium Tap, Giacomo, Brother Derek
Old 10-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Churchill Downs

1992, 1999, 2002, 2006.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:39 AM
Churchill Downs

Last year made up for being shut out in 2008...Vale of York and Dancing in Silks blew up the dime supers where I was going deep, and then spreading really deep I caught prices behind a key on Goldlikova....my entire strategy changed last year after reading an article by James Quinn who encouraged playing the verticals with logical horses at huge prices. Before that, I was stuck on trying to catch Pick 3's and Pick 4's. Go back and look at how the payoffs blew up when a 30-1 shot sneaks in the money as compared to what a 30-1 shot would do with two favorites in a Pick 3.
Without the dime minimums allowing me to spread it around, I would have missed on some for sure.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
This is one of the worst memories I have in gambling. Jerry Baird gave Ginger Punch the rail going down the backstretch and that was it. If she goes wide, I think Hystericalady beats her. Oh well.
That beat was probably worth more for me than any other (not involving pick 6's.)
Old 10-15-2010, 09:09 AM
scat daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch View Post
Last year made up for being shut out in 2008...Vale of York and Dancing in Silks blew up the dime supers where I was going deep, and then spreading really deep I caught prices behind a key on Goldlikova....my entire strategy changed last year after reading an article by James Quinn who encouraged playing the verticals with logical horses at huge prices. Before that, I was stuck on trying to catch Pick 3's and Pick 4's. Go back and look at how the payoffs blew up when a 30-1 shot sneaks in the money as compared to what a 30-1 shot would do with two favorites in a Pick 3.
Without the dime minimums allowing me to spread it around, I would have missed on some for sure.
Being at Churchill in 88 to see Personal Ensign run down Winning Colors...magical to say the least...then to watch the classic under darkness with only the twin spires lit was incredible.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:15 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
2009, 2004, 2008, 2002 were all big BC's for me.

2007 was easily the most bitter one for me. John Murtagh not riding Dylan Thomas out and losing a dead tight photo for 4th place cost me $6,000 in a TVG contest.

The same day, Hystericalady (9/1) was easily my biggest bet of the entire day - and Ginger Punch came skating up the inside to beat her. I also posted here in a thread right before the Breeders Cup that my "best bet" for that years BC was a cold trifecta of Midnight Lute over Idiot Proof over Benny The Bull in the BC Sprint. The Midnight Lute-Idiot Proof exacta paid $50 - my attempt to kill the world failed when Benny The Bull was 4th at 7/1 .. Talent Search held him off for 3rd. He beats TS in the DeFrancis next out - and is champion sprinter the following year. In that years Classic, my whole entire bet was a trifecta keying Street Sense in the 3rd spot and using only Curlin, Hard Spun and Lawyer Ron in positions 1 and 2. That bet looked as good as gold on the turn .. but Street Sense somehow was caught for 3rd very late by Awesome Gem. The Curlin over Hard Spun exacta paid over $70 - so it wasn't a measly miss like some might now think.

I ended up winning $1,500 for 2nd in the contest and having a not so bad betting day but was way more miserable than I ever was in years like 2000 when I missed everything and had a really horrid read on a few races.
Hystericalady was also my biggest bet of that 07 Cup also.
I had a big win bet and a much bigger exacta with her over Ginger Punch than reversed. I only used 4 distaffers in multi's and they run 1,2,3,4 and didn't play the Super.

Kip Deville keep my head above water that day.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
No and No.

My brilliant stand against Riboletta was wasted with Lukas running 1-2 and Spain winning.

Your star Macho Uno held off Point Given.

I had a few nice bet againsts that year - but I really sucked that day.

Remember when we put the P6 ticket together in 2001 - and those guys used my poor BC record against me?
Yeah, that was pretty funny.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Fairgrounds

1996 was good. Had Lit de Justice, Storm Song, Boston Harbor, and a win/place bet on Louis Quatorze. Was disappointed we didn't get to see Yanks Music.

2000 was beyond depressing. Woke up that morning and wrote down my plays for the day, which included win bets on Kona Gold, War Chant, Perfect Sting, and others. I did not bet Spain, in spite of the fact that I had played her in almost every race in which she ran since the previous year's BC Juvenile Fillies. Definitely one of my favorite horses at that time. So when she won at 50-1, I spent the rest of the day trying to catch lightning in a bottle by playing horses that I "liked". Played More Than Ready instead of Kona Gold. Played some Shadwell horse who had just won at Keeneland instead of War Chant. Played someone other than Perfect Sting. Left very unhappy.

2001 was my best ever. Didn't hit sh*t until the Turf. Pounded Fantastic Light. And played a huge cold double with him and Tiznow, whom I also pounded to win. Also had the exacta with Sakhee 10 times, and I think it paid $140 or so.

2005 was my worst day of gambling ever, as I cashed zero tickets, and lost an amount so horrific that I don't want to repeat it. No one would believe me anyway.

I wish NBC would get the Cup back.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
This is one of the worst memories I have in gambling. Jerry Baird gave Ginger Punch the rail going down the backstretch and that was it. If she goes wide, I think Hystericalady beats her. Oh well.
I think if Hollendorfer had the courage to leave Russell Baze on Hysterical Lady IMO you never would have lost that race. Eddie Castro didn't actually do anything wrong. He just didn't do enough right. RB would have made the difference.

Biggest BC score?

Two on the same day.

200 win/place Furthest Land. 100 exacta box Furthest Land/Ready's Echo

27k comission for Dancing in Silks winning the Sprint

Quite an enjoyable afternoon in Arcadia
Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindew View Post

2000 was beyond depressing. Woke up that morning and wrote down my plays for the day, which included win bets on Kona Gold, War Chant, Perfect Sting, and others. I did not bet Spain, in spite of the fact that I had played her in almost every race in which she ran since the previous year's BC Juvenile Fillies. Definitely one of my favorite horses at that time. So when she won at 50-1, I spent the rest of the day trying to catch lightning in a bottle by playing horses that I "liked". Played More Than Ready instead of Kona Gold. Played some Shadwell horse who had just won at Keeneland instead of War Chant. Played someone other than Perfect Sting. Left very unhappy.
The Real Justin Dew would not have gone off tilt like that in 2000.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:55 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I think if Hollendorfer had the courage to leave Russell Baze on Hysterical Lady IMO you never would have lost that race. Eddie Castro didn't actually do anything wrong. He just didn't do enough right. RB would have made the difference.

Biggest BC score?

Two on the same day.

200 win/place Furthest Land. 100 exacta box Furthest Land/Ready's Echo

27k comission for Dancing in Silks winning the Sprint

Quite an enjoyable afternoon in Arcadia
I still can't believe Furthest Land went off at 20-1....
Old 10-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
With the Cup around the corner, and with some mentions of some people's success in 2007 in another thread, what were your most successful Breeders' Cups from a wagering standpoint?
My biggest score ever was 2004...

Bet a Pick 4 Ouija Board / all / all / Ghostzapper - paid $23,395.
I have the IRS receipt framed
Old 10-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfla View Post
My biggest score ever was 2004...

Bet a Pick 4 Ouija Board / all / all / Ghostzapper - paid $23,395.
I have the IRS receipt framed
Since this has turned into the redboard room, I played the EXACT same ticket (for a $1). Great (or clueless? ) minds think alike?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:27 AM
The Curragh

2007 missing only Lahudood. Other than that it was a hell of a day. Much smaller bank roll back then but was living in NJ and got to go. My father came up from Florida and realized after the first three races (where I had hit the exactas cold) that I was on to something and proceeded to use his larger roll to hit pk-3s and 4's off my handicapping. He did very well that day. As did I for the time. If I can get another day like that this year I will go home with a lot more $ than I did back then.
Still can't figure out how it was that PK-6 went for $321K.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:27 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL JACK View Post
I still remember vividly the comment in the racing form on Furthest Land, off a huge number at TP, "....I'd like to see THAT again".
Old 10-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Churchill Downs

1998, 2000, 2003 and 2008 were good Breeders Cups for me. 2001, 2002, and 2004 were probably the worst. I'm still mad about Albarado's ride aboard Ashado in the 2004 Distaff.

Do any of you remember the Breeders Cup contest from 1988? I believe it was run by the Breeders Cup, and entry forms appeared in major daily newspapers. You were allowed one selection in each race, and if your selection was part of an entry, you did not benefit if the another part of the entry won; this made the contest more challenging since at the time DWL was running a five horse entry in the Juvenile Filly race and a three-horse entry in the Juvenile. Your entry had to be postmarked 1-2 days before the race, so you did not have the advantage of raceday scratches or track condition. I submitted a somewhat chalky entry using Gulch-Open Mind-Personal Ensign-Miesque-Easy Goer-Sunshine Forever-Alysheba. I thought I was in pretty good shape after the Mile. If I'm recalling correctly, nobody hit all 7 races, but there were more than few people who had 6 winners.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL JACK View Post
All of these sorts of sayings are redboarding. After the fact the odds always look ridiculous.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Keeneland

When you look at the trip Furthest Land got and then look at how he ran after that win, hard to take that win at face value. But that doesn't matter when you cash. Nice score to anyone that had him.