Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Santa Anita

Default Looking for a horse

I spoke of this before, but I thought I would bring it back up. I have a friend who is looking for a horse. SHe would like to get a bay mare off of the track. She is kinda being specific about the color and gender because she just lost a mare that she had gotten off the track a couple of months ago. She retrained this mare herself and had her for over twenty-five years. She adored this mare. She would like to get back into hunting again so the horse would have to be healthy enough to train to do this.

I really don't know how to go about this. She has been checking some of the websites, but doesn't really have a lot of money to spend for the horse. Does anyone know of any trainers/owners of racehorses down here that maybe looking to sell or find homes for their "retired" racers that may not have been fast enough or had the desire for racing?

Anyone have any ideas? Do you kind of have to "know" people to get a good deal on a retired racer? She doesn't mind it coming straight from the track as she is looking to repeat what she did before.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
I spoke of this before, but I thought I would bring it back up. I have a friend who is looking for a horse. SHe would like to get a bay mare off of the track. She is kinda being specific about the color and gender because she just lost a mare that she had gotten off the track a couple of months ago. She retrained this mare herself and had her for over twenty-five years. She adored this mare. She would like to get back into hunting again so the horse would have to be healthy enough to train to do this.

I really don't know how to go about this. She has been checking some of the websites, but doesn't really have a lot of money to spend for the horse. Does anyone know of any trainers/owners of racehorses down here that maybe looking to sell or find homes for their "retired" racers that may not have been fast enough or had the desire for racing?

Anyone have any ideas? Do you kind of have to "know" people to get a good deal on a retired racer? She doesn't mind it coming straight from the track as she is looking to repeat what she did before.
I read awhile back on TT's that Jim Squires is always looking for homes for his retired racehorses. He is of the thought that the Breeder is responsible for the horses future and seems as if he may be a good place to start (and may keep the horse reasonably priced).
Old 10-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
I read awhile back on TT's that Jim Squires is always looking for homes for his retired racehorses. He is of the thought that the Breeder is responsible for the horses future and seems as if he may be a good place to start (and may keep the horse reasonably priced).

That is what she wants (reasonably priced). She can afford to feed a horse and she has the property to keep it on. Just can't afford to buy an expensive horse.

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
I know Mr. Squires! He's a great guy!
Old 10-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
I know Mr. Squires! He's a great guy!
He definitely seems to care a great deal about the horses he's bred.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
He definitely seems to care a great deal about the horses he's bred.
He most certainly does. It's too bad there aren't more like him in the business. Have you ever been out to Two Bucks Farm before? It's gorgeous.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Flemington

Quote:
He most certainly does. It's too bad there aren't more like him in the business. Have you ever been out to Two Bucks Farm before? It's gorgeous.
Yup! I've still been meaning to read his book too!
Old 10-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Blue Eyes

Quote:

Buffy, where is your friend located and how far is she willing to travel for a horse?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eyes
Buffy, where is your friend located and how far is she willing to travel for a horse?

She is in South Florida. I don't think she would want to spend A LOT on shipping costs so I think she would prefer the horse be in Florida.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Monmouth Park

you should buy a daughter or Johannsberg, Mizzen Mast, or Tiger Ridge and run it on the turf.

I would start at the 2YO in training sales.

Repent
Old 10-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by repent
you should buy a daughter or Johannsberg, Mizzen Mast, or Tiger Ridge and run it on the turf.

I would start at the 2YO in training sales.

Repent

Thanks for the advise, but my friend doesn't want to race the horse.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Keeneland

Buffy, a lot of t-breds were going for dirt cheap at the OBS last week. Granted, most of them were young stock or mares, but the sales would be a place to start.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:42 PM
oracle80

Quote:

Mares are harder to get off the racetrack than colts or geldings, for the obvious reason that they can be bred whether or not they are any good.
Your best bet is to call someone who trains at a smaller track, and ask them to call you if one comes along. A friend of mine just gave away a 3 year old bay mare who had sustained a chip in her knee.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Santa Anita

I think she is going to hold off for now maybe but if something came along, she wouldn't pass it up. I told her to wait until the Gulfstream or Tampa meets start and she and I could go "mingle". Two hot chicks walking around we should be able to meet some people at the track... Although the wedding rings may scare them off, HA HA DOUBT IT!

I actually have another friend who may be coming down to the Tampa meet. Haven't heard from her in about a month so I am not sure yet.

Thanks for the advise. I will keep you updated and let you guys know if she gets something.

I may recommend the sales Cajun. I have always wanted to go to one. She and I will have to make a trip to one.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Thanks for the advise, but my friend doesn't want to race the horse.

oh,
then they should buy a daughter of smarty jones.

Repent
Old 10-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Louisiana Downs

Buffy,
Here's how I got my ex-racer. Went to the local track and hung up a note outside the racing office saying that I was interested in providing a wonderful home for an unwanted, but sound racehorse. I offered to provide vet/farrier references. I got several calls in the next couple weeks. I was originally looking for a gelding, but ended up with a lovely 4 yr. old mare. (she also happens to be a gorgeous dark bay!) I really lucked out, as she is everything I had hoped for and more. She's sound, well-adjusted and friendly. She is going to begin basic dressage training this winter. I paid $600 for her. Some people will give them away, but most people want just above what they would sell for at meat prices.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Suzanne
Old 10-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by largo1
Buffy,
Here's how I got my ex-racer. Went to the local track and hung up a note outside the racing office saying that I was interested in providing a wonderful home for an unwanted, but sound racehorse. I offered to provide vet/farrier references. I got several calls in the next couple weeks. I was originally looking for a gelding, but ended up with a lovely 4 yr. old mare. (she also happens to be a gorgeous dark bay!) I really lucked out, as she is everything I had hoped for and more. She's sound, well-adjusted and friendly. She is going to begin basic dressage training this winter. I paid $600 for her. Some people will give them away, but most people want just above what they would sell for at meat prices.

Good luck, hope this helps.
Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne. I will let her know. She doesn't know many people down here in FL. She is from NY and just moved down here about a year ago. I was telling her that we needed to go down to the track. Thanks again.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Thanks Suzanne. I will let her know. She doesn't know many people down here in FL. She is from NY and just moved down here about a year ago. I was telling her that we needed to go down to the track. Thanks again.
Let me know when you guys want to go and I'll join you all! I need some track buddies... I look like a degen female whenever I go alone!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Let me know when you guys want to go and I'll join you all! I need some track buddies... I look like a degen female whenever I go alone!

OH I won't go alone to the track anymore Cajun. I will let you know. It may have to be during the week though.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
OH I won't go alone to the track anymore Cajun. I will let you know. It may have to be during the week though.
I used to go alone all the time... I know, dumb. Anything to see the ponies run.