Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-23-2007, 11:28 PM
5'8".. but all man!

the most "famous" person I have spent the most time with is a formal professional athelete. Im very proud to call him a friend and know that if I ever need a single thing, he is a phone call away. I have seen the way that he has treated the "general public" and I promise you that many people could stand to take a lesson from him in humility.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Lincoln Fields

I do believe what BTW is trying to convey is that to compare the graciousness of jockeys compared to other famous people is unfair, is that even though at Saratoga, Keeneland and maybe some other places they may be treated like celebraties but all in all they will go through most of the year not being pestered for autographs, hounded by the paparazzi, not being able to leave their confines without people hounding them. thus leaving them to be more gracious and actually enjoy the attention of some fame.
As with famous actors, athletes, entertainers, who are more widely known, who can't go to the store for a gallon of milk, they sometimes won't be so gracious with the fans etc because it has worn them down.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:19 AM
MajestikMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd
I do believe what BTW is trying to convey is that to compare the graciousness of jockeys compared to other famous people is unfair, is that even though at Saratoga, Keeneland and maybe some other places they may be treated like celebraties but all in all they will go through most of the year not being pestered for autographs, hounded by the paparazzi, not being able to leave their confines without people hounding them. thus leaving them to be more gracious and actually enjoy the attention of some fame.
As with famous actors, athletes, entertainers, who are more widely known, who can't go to the store for a gallon of milk, they sometimes won't be so gracious with the fans etc because it has worn them down.

Like Manny being Manny, Just Kiddin'. BTW & ME resolved this in private, I do see the point. Huge Sox fan here in Upstate NY, and that doesn't mean Orange, Westchester and Putnam CO. (those are Downstate regardless of what they think) short trip to The SPA, we don't get NESN, just wondering if you've caught any Spring Tr. yet?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:48 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Like Manny being Manny, Just Kiddin'. BTW & ME resolved this in private, I do see the point. Huge Sox fan here in Upstate NY, and that doesn't mean Orange, Westchester and Putnam CO. (those are Downstate regardless of what they think) short trip to The SPA, we don't get NESN, just wondering if you've caught any Spring Tr. yet?

Caught a few games so far. I am oringinally an Upstate NY'er as Well. 45 mins west of Albany, small town called St. Johnsville. Grew up going to the Spa and still make the annual pilgrimage every year and have turned many of friends here on to the place.
Always seem to be a good number of Red Sox fans in upstate, I think it's great.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Louisiana Downs

Talking Saints alive!!!

Quote:
Caught a few games so far. I am oringinally an Upstate NY'er as Well. 45 mins west of Albany, small town called St. Johnsville. Grew up going to the Spa and still make the annual pilgrimage every year and have turned many of friends here on to the place.
Always seem to be a good number of Red Sox fans in upstate, I think it's great.
Home of the Purple and Gold, the Schoff's and well that's about it. Just kidding!!

Your team just won Boys Hoop Sectionals, I grew up and still live in a small town out there, Home of the Hilltoppers!!! Small world ain't it!!
Old 03-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreetposse
Home of the Purple and Gold, the Schoff's and well that's about it. Just kidding!!

Your team just won Boys Hoop Sectionals, I grew up and still live in a small town out there, Home of the Hilltoppers!!! Small world ain't it!!

LOL LOL Holy Crap, Fort Plain Huh? One of the Schoff's was atwedding out here in November.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Louisiana Downs

Thumbs up

Quote:
LOL LOL Holy Crap, Fort Plain Huh? One of the Schoff's was atwedding out here in November.
Class of '93 @ FP, Played summer ball for Roger Weaver & Jason Brundage
for American Legion.

Hickory Hill Hoff is FP guy too, lives outside of Fonda now, in School early '80's
Capper for the Amsterdam Recorder, @ the Spa all the time, I can only make it a few times a meet(wife doesn't let me & busy work season)
Also have a few other pals connected to ST. J who go to track lots.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Lincoln Fields

Wow this is really a small world. Jason Brundage graduated a year ahead of me< I know him very well, I graduated with his wife in '88. I know Roger Weaver personally as well.
I don't know if they still do it but for year and year The restaurant Ripie's on Rt 5 ST.J would go over every Monday at The Spa and get the same spot and bring tons of food and beer. Great Tradition.

Hopefully we can run into each other at the track this year.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Louisiana Downs

Not sure if The Ripepi guys still do that or not, I do play in the Hosehead Golf Tourney every year that Reggie, oops, Roger puts on, I see Jason occasionally as he is Athletic Dir. and I Ref. girls soccer. Our FP crew goes every opening day, you might know Pat Hanifin(Jeanette Carter Husb) is one, Tom Pavlus and a few other in that late 80's era.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Newmarket

Cool

Quote:
Not sure if The Ripepi guys still do that or not, I do play in the Hosehead Golf Tourney every year that Reggie, oops, Roger puts on, I see Jason occasionally as he is Athletic Dir. and I Ref. girls soccer. Our FP crew goes every opening day, you might know Pat Hanifin(Jeanette Carter Husb) is one, Tom Pavlus and a few other in that late 80's era.
The St. J gang is over there every Monday...John, Keene and even Floyd the barber sometimes...the Hoffman's from St. J are relatives to me, as well as the Kreigers. There used to be a poster on this site that grew up in Little Falls...but he doesn't post here no more. Small world.....

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 03-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Class of '93 @ FP, Played summer ball for Roger Weaver & Jason Brundage
for American Legion.

Hickory Hill Hoff is FP guy too, lives outside of Fonda now, in School early '80's
Capper for the Amsterdam Recorder, @ the Spa all the time, I can only make it a few times a meet(wife doesn't let me & busy work season)
Also have a few other pals connected to ST. J who go to track lots.
Sometimes mine wish I would less.....

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 03-06-2007, 03:59 PM
The Curragh

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Horseplayers LEAVE restaurants when jockeys come in....we certainly don't go looking for them.

Guess you and I would never get along...I've actually been known to even consider a couple of exercise riders as friends....but then again I'm not famous either...
Old 03-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:

Holy crap oh yeah I know Pavlus and Pat Hanifin, I was great friends with Jeanette Carter. Holy Sheeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanifin's a great guy.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
The St. J gang is over there every Monday...John, Keene and even Floyd the barber sometimes...the Hoffman's from St. J are relatives to me, as well as the Kreigers. There used to be a poster on this site that grew up in Little Falls...but he doesn't post here no more. Small world.....

So you're related to JR and Paul Hoffman? This is unbelivable. I hung out with JR throughout high school. Keene Thomas still goes huh? What a character he is .
Old 03-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Holy crap oh yeah I know Pavlus and Pat Hanifin, I was great friends with Jeanette Carter. Holy Sheeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hanifin's a great guy.

I keep telling those 2 about this site but no luck gettin'em here yet, Hoffy got me hooked on, lots of fun!!!
I live next door to Pavlus!!
Old 03-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payson Dave
Guess you and I would never get along...I've actually been known to even consider a couple of exercise riders as friends....but then again I'm not famous either...
Hey, I'm friends with a few jockeys, which I guess is why I have trouble getting along with myself.